New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#151 2004-06-12 14:01:19

Cobra Commander

Re: You're a 1st Marsian Settler

And the people did flee like unto a swarm of locusts, bound for worlds elsewhere in the vain hope of escaping the perils of space. Lo, the Prophet did say unto those left behind, that you remain upon this our promised land is a testament to your faith and righteousness, and for such steadfastness ye shall be rewarded. And they did gather and did send word that all might might hear the words of the Prophet, who did buy another round for the house. And the Prophet did speak unto the microphone and did transmit the words of salvation to all corners of Mars and a few other places of lesser interest. "Let all ye who seek life hear me," the Prophet did speak, "that ye may know the way and share in the abundance." And the Prophet did pause for dramatic effect. "Behold, for on these grounds is our home, and here have we built this city on alchohol and promise." And the people did nod, and they did drink. "Fear not," the Prophet bade them "for the dragon that hath sought to smite us does burn, and the scourge in its belly doth seek to flee with the heathens." And the Prophet did become solemn and cold. "It has come unto my attention that the righteous might fortune has given unto you has been turned in vengeance toward the heathens that they might fail in the fleeing. This cannot stand, for the Most High reserves the right to smite, not ye unless given word from on high through the Prophet." And the people did consent, though in their hearts they did question the irregualr dispensing of new commandments. And the Prophet did warn that all who look skyward with vengeance in their hearts will be smote, or perhaps shat upon, depending upon the mood of the Most High.
"let them flee," the Prophet did repeat for clarity, and did speak of room enough among the many worlds, though not upon this one, and the people did brandish arms that they might drive the Yu Knights, Communists, and other ilk of their sort from the planet. Drink ye to victory and it shall be yours, f**kin' a.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#152 2004-06-12 16:50:19

Trebuchet
Banned

Trebuchet's Log

Many former colonists have left, bound outward for other worlds. They think they leave the madness behind, but really, they will carry the madness with them, to new worlds, because settling new worlds is a task for the mad.

The bar and brewery has been expanded. Our production and distillation of alcoholic beverages has expanded greatly, and in my spare time I've been helping set up the chemical industries here. With luck and a little time, we'll be cranking out the plastic for new domes right and left, and generating enough high-oxygen partial pressure atmosphere to fill them. The population will be fruitful and multiply... damn it, I've been spending too much time with Cobra and the chanting horde at the bar. Production of all kinds is up right now, as the lure of drinks - and Cobra randomly buying 'one for the house' - has attracted anybody with spare time. Worker productivity and hours are up (so are alcohol-related mishaps, but that's business for you).

My latest project involves the nearby cliff. I plan to have robots carve out my likeness, in a mars-suit, on the cliff, holding a bottle of liquor. Cobra has since asked for himself to be added to my little project, which will sadly dilute my advertising project. I've been toying with different possible poses for Cobra's carving...

#153 2004-06-13 01:42:33

Rxke

Diary...

A lot has happened, and I've seen a good many number of dear friends leave, but I decided to stay.

Visited the TempleBar, of course, and it was... shall we say, interesting.
Can't remember anything about the first day and night, being a true Belgian, i drank 'till i dropped, but once the worst headaches were over, i sat back and listened, watched, imbibing myself thanks to C.C.'s very generous 'one for the house' ceremony...

And I -and many others- came to the conclusion that Mars is the place to be.
C.C.'s rantings aren't any worse than the ones i've been hearing ad nauseum on Earth from our 'Enlightened' leaders, and the alcohol has made him more likeable. He's not even planning to bother the ones that leave, who'd imagine that?

So on with a new life!

Mars is resembling one giant Frontier town, brawls, fist-fights and general chaos included, but if you want to get your hands dirty on meaningful work, there's plenty of opportunity *and* general respect for your capabilities, wich is great. Meritocracy at it's best, great research-centers popping up here and there, universities that actually teach you how to think for yourself, great engineering projects, and so on.
And if you feel like taking a short or longer holiday, plenty of opportunity, everywhere: work hard, party hard.

Earth's politicians probably hate our guts, but bleah to them!

We're here to stay, and we're getting our act together, fending for ourselves OUR WAY!

#154 2004-06-14 10:08:19

Earthfirst

Just moved to mars, it is a nice place, if you like frontier world where bar fights happen every night. One place the TempleBar has all the vices a person could want, drinks, dames, and poker. Word of advice dont cheat on mars they throw you out the air lock, make you miss the good old days when people just shoot each other! Which happens a lot on mars, the marschell Mat Dellon the fastest gun on mars is alwise getting into gun fights but thats the job.
Beyond the bars and gambling halls the towns on mars are queit. Mainly because people dont stay wery long and leave, great cheap home for me to move in. After a few days I met some of my neighbors Rxke, cobra, and some french guy. There were nice mainly because they wanted to sell me pipes to make guns. They said that I would need it, on mars there are only two types of people the fast and the dead. Any ways I thought that they were a bit strange, but one them gave me a coupon for a free drink at a bar, but it was expired!
I would have my revenge!
T found out that there were making monuments of them selfs on some near by cliffs, so at night I tag it with message Revenge is Mine! Also I stoled their hubcaps form their rovers and keyed it.
Good thing that I got guns from thise pipes they sold me, There is no telling what pranks they will pull on me, I just hop they see the sign that warns of the mine feild around my house!
:laugh: Dairy of Earthfirst

I love plants!

#155 2004-06-14 13:39:26

Rxke

Diary.

People coming in thick and fast, they let everyone in, lately, I even met Earthfirst, wonder how he got through selection, with his weird sense of humour...
He's an okay guy, though, lots of fun, we sold him some of the original cracked blumbing-pipes for a gun, heehee...

Got a weird email this morning (yea, I'm at my old job again, kinda,... intercepting and relaying messages from Earth, if i feel like it, that is.)

Anyway, the email: it's from the manager of Michael Jackson! I thought he was long dead! Must have very good dockters, that man...
... Errr... Ah, eh the manager... Looks like he's investigating to buy a complete dome for Wacko Jacko, and fill it with pure oxygen ??? Something about W.J.'s old tent getting too small...
Well, if e comes over, i sure hope he brings Bubbles and his Llama's, biodiversity here is nonexistant, what with the ever elusive remaining packs of wild mutated rabbits kiling off all other species we try to set out in the wild...

#156 2004-06-14 17:33:17

~Eternal~

Loyds Martian Diary - Log One.

Dear diary, I have come to the long awaited event of my life, I feel that all of my achievements have lead up to this moment. I am on Mars, and I am free. I've settled into a relatively small community near Noctis Labyrinth. I find it peaceful, by day I hope to try to contribute to the terraforming political efforts, however right now I'm just medling in the greenhouses, interesting plants... some like no terran ones, but what can you expect when you have people like clark running around on this planet you might expect a few other wacko's too.

Tonight I couldn't sleep, so I went out on a stroll around the town square, or cirlce, or hexagon, or whatever it is to find nothing but restless children, obviously native borns some of them were already nearing my height. Afterwards I decided to take a lil' Mars-walk. Not much to see, alas I hope to one day breath this alien air into my own nostrils.

We'll see what tommorow brings.

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#157 2004-06-15 03:05:29

Trebuchet
Banned

Trebuchet's Log

We had a fatality today when two drunk as hell Martians accused each other of cheating at cards and challenged each other to a duel outside, forgetting due to inebriation that the outside is deadly without a spacesuit. We managed to drag Stinky back in the bar, but the other guy died. He'll be missed, he owed everyone money. The upside of this is that a rumor going around says people who cheat at cards get thrown out the airlock and cheating incidents have been down.

Someone attempted to deface the monument by writing "Revenge is mine!" but it only made it look like Cobra was gloating about his victory over the Yu Knights.

Some wandering prospectors brought back a most interesting and hitherto unknown liquor from another hab. The prospectors swear that when they drank it, the skies lit on fire and they were attacked by giant glowing cockroaches. I'm guessing it's some sort of hallucinogenic alcohol. I plan on offering free samples of it at the bar to see how it affects people before I try to duplicate it.

#158 2004-06-15 06:28:42

Cobra Commander

And the priests of the temple did say unto the Prophet "Lo, for the sky is aflame, and the roaches doth glow, and a beast with ten heads doth shout obsceneties at us from the sea." And the Prophet said unto them that Mars hath not oxygen with which to light the sky abalze, nor roaches, nor hath it seas. The beast did resemble a peculair mutation among the rabbits, and was thus deemed credible. Yet despite these words the priests did insist that they had in truth seen the things of which they speak, and they did drink, and the Prophet did say unto them "What in the name of the Most High is that which ye drink, for it doth smell of filth." The priests did down the last of their glasses and did answer "We doth hear it called Mundaka Rum," and the Prophet did nod, and he did fume, and did say unto the priests "ye are sentenced to thy confessional for the space of a day." And the priests did groan, and did enter into the confession booths, and did hang their heads over the cauldron of repentence, and did release the evil within them into the waters. Lo, for the Prophet doth proclaim that the Mundaka Rum be impure and doth lead the people astray, and to consume it is sinful and against one of those middle commandments. And the people within the temple did nod, and the Mundaka Rum was chucked outside where it did freeze upon the land, and the glasses of the people were filled with the liquors of the righteous, and they did drink of warm intoxicating goodness.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#159 2004-06-15 09:05:09

Earthfirst

Diary of Earthfirst, june 15 2004
A new day on mars, I am so happy to be here. But I am in strange company, their has been reports the Wako Jacko sitings on Mars. I guess the people of earth just did not understand his need to have slumber parties with 10 year old boys. I hope he just cleans up after Bubbles his chimp.
When i was in town today Rxke wonder how I got past the screening broad? You would be surprised to known how far two dollars slip to space dock cop will go.
The monument that I tag with "revenge is mine!" was a big story that was in all the news papper today. Some people think that the ghost of mars dont like the new human residence, others think it is a prank. Good thing for me that their no law on mars others wise I might get communty serve for a day.
Latter in the day I stop by the TempleBar for so refreshment, I love the new dancing gril show, but the rooms in back are just a little bite more than I want right now. The drinks are great if you like rot gut whiskey, the food rabbit and rat stew will put hair on your chest ladys included. Some new slot machine were just put in, and crap tables. I bet some Turnups since there is no office currance yet, just trading goods. I saw a add for a mail order russian wife for 5 tones of wheat. Not a bad price, when you consider most of the woman on mars are married or independant contractors that have heath issues. My new wife is coming on the next ship, if I get bored with her I could sell her, there no laws on mars yet so abything goes.
On my way out of town I saw the new grave yard Boot hill, because new die with your boots on mars, in gun fights.
I fought mars would be a quiet place ohh well, at last I can do anything I want antill those dam people start a government with laws, and police! Me I like anarche it just more fun. :laugh:

I love plants!

#160 2004-06-15 10:42:39

~Eternal~

Loyds Martian Diary - Log Two.

Dear diary, spent all night in the greenhouse, fascinating some of the water plants they have here. I decided to visit the community library and was quite sadden to see the lack of Martian fiction. The Armstrong landed today delivering about 25 scientist and God only knows what else.

Heard about a bar fight over in Trebuchet's city, wonder if clark was involved... what am I saying, of course clark was invovled. Hope he makes it... he owes me money.

The MiniTruth passed its first act #001, comname: PATRIOT ACT on  October 26, 2001.

#161 2004-06-15 13:09:16

clark

Journal entry,

Wasteland. Nothing but barren, dead, vacuum, frozen, red-brown wasteland. I feel like Bradbury was a fool to ever fall in love with this place, but I feel the bigger fool for letting him put this screaming desire in my heart. There's no helping it now, the only way is forward, a fool on a fools errand. I might have thought the first marker was coincidence, but the discovery of the second one and the cache beneath it only makes me wonder even more. It should have been here. It should have been close. The old one eyed man promised. But he lied, or was mistaken, just like Bradbury. Just like a hundred other poets and bards who promised the moon and stars and lovely Mars. Still, there is the first marker. There is this second marker, nothing more than a pile of rocks stacked upon one another. I'm still trying to figure out how it got here, one blue, one white, one dark dark red. When the sun rises, it casts a faint shadow in the shape of an arrow, towards the opposite horizon. More wasteland. Continuation of the quest to nowhere, set by a ranting crazy man a million miles from this god forsaken rock!

Yet, I can't be imagining this. There isn't anyone for hundreds of miles. No one has seen these things, or touched this place. I am the first, but it doesn't feel that way. I need to stop listening to the Radio Free Cobra programs that seem to broadcast hourly. It can't be helping my poor grip on reality, even if he does have a point.

Nothing left to do but use the weird compass like device I found in the cache, it's nothing more than a smaller version of the second marker. I'm heading west, to who knows where now. No rumors left to guide me, no dreams by which to set my course. Just wasteland ahead, and hope for something to meet me at the end.

#162 2004-06-15 14:13:08

Cobra Commander

Hear ye, brethren, for even under this light gravity I speak of weighty things, the Prophet did say unto those gathered in the temple, and they did heed as the Prophet spoke of the holy mission, and of the first commandment, and of the taking of the wilderness. Look upon the sign from on high, the Prophet proclaimed as he pointed through the tiny window of the temple toward a brilliant new star that had appeared in the sky. And the prophet did say unto the people that the star called Soletta was placed in the sky through the power of the Most High, and also with parts reclaimed from the Yu Knight ships, and the star Soletta shone down with blinding radiance. The people did drink of the glow and of their mugs as the Prophet raised a fist against the sky, proclaiming Behold the power of the Most High, and a pillar of light did descend from the star Soletta, and did scorch the land, and much gas was released from the regolith. By the power and favor of the Most High will the first commandment be fulfilled, the Prophet proclaimed, and the pillar of light moved slowly toward the horizon. The Prophet did lead the people in drink for the space of many days, and more did seek entrance to the temple though it be filled to nearly twice the capacity decreed on the wall by the altar, and they looked on as the power of the Most High cut into the land and did leave deep trenches, which the Prophet did call 'canali.' By the sixth day, the sky was darkened by a degree, and the air did weigh heavy. It has begun, the Prophet spoke unto them, and now ye shall go forth bringing life and building upon the land. And they did drink to the revelation, and felt warm contentment in their hearts. Suit up and bring ye guns, for we ride south to the Promised Land, the Prophet did proclaim, and the priests of the temple filled jugs with the rum and the vodka, and bid the people well.

#163 2004-06-15 18:39:06

PurduesUSAFguy
Banned

Personal Log
1st Liberty Colonial Militia
Lt. Col. Zak Phd

The war against the Blue helemts is going beter the I suspected, earlier this week we took the fleet yards on phobos which enabled us to take control of a substantial protion of near Mars space even out to L5. We are currently contructing a positron cannon to take out UN headquarters at Geneva (I'm glad they moved when the US left the UN in 2009 under President Rice, I wouldn't have been able to push the button on New York)

Now that we have kicked the blue boys off the surface we are moving ahead with our rapid terraforming plans. I have the 3rd Liberty planting fusion demolition munitions deep in the permafrost and ice caps that we are going to detonate in sequence to jump start our effort...we have a carbonous chondorite armor asteroids we are going to start aerobracking into the atmosphere in three months, our current computer models and plans indicate we should have a mean surface temprature of 500milibar by years end. My one concern is if the followers of what seems to be the new official religion of Mars, Cobraism, decided that they don't like terraforming. This might be a bad thing, although I have a hard time not liking people who love to drink so much. In either event I just prepare for the contigency of dealing with them. Must get the boys at Tharsis Aresonals working on some new generation Bio and Nano weapons. The strain of hyper-ebola we introduced in France is only 95.8% lethal, we need to work on improving this.

Since it now seems we will have our independence now soon enough I am trying to organize a constitutional convention at the resort complex at Vallis Marineras. I'm allready having the 22nd Hellas working on setting up security and hardening the site.

That is all for now, for Science, Liberty, and the Martian Way

#164 2004-06-15 18:47:22

~Eternal~

Loyds Martian Diary - Log Two.

Dear diary, spent all night in the greenhouse, fascinating some of the water plants they have here. I decided to visit the community library and was quite sadden to see the lack of Martian fiction. The Armstrong landed today delivering about 25 scientist and God only knows what else.

Heard about a bar fight over in Trebuchet's city, wonder if clark was involved... what am I saying, of course clark was invovled. Hope he makes it... he owes me money.

Loyds Martian Diary - Log Two-B.

Dear diary, I've been studying C.C. logs and quite frankly he scares me, I wonder if he was thrown out of the airlock a time too many.

#165 2004-06-15 22:51:21

Trebuchet
Banned

Trebuchet's Log

The militia seems to be calling for a constitutional convention here, which should bring in more business. I've got a hand in putting up the underground gallery planned for the convention; probably the first convention center with an armored roof. I'm paying for it in return for use of the place after the convention. I'm thinking about turning it into a casino and luxury hotel, once the politicians get done. I have already reccomended that the quaint custom of the ancient Persians to discuss matters once sober and once drunk be reinstituted, because if the resulting political decisions are incoherent, at least we have an excuse for it this time. Also, Cobra's call for a great journey to the south has also stirred things up in town, because the big march to the south is organizing here. Cobra got a bit more of a response than he figured, I think. This will probably be the largest motorcade in Martian history for quite some time when it leaves, if it leaves.

Radio Free Cobra is up and running. Cobra broadcasts his viewpoints endlessly, except when he's asleep, and then we broadcast the output from the karaoke mike, which is uniformly bad and awful, but it's not like we have anything else to broadcast. I advertise the place freely whenever Cobra takes a break or a drink, it seems to be bringing in more people, and I've arranged a deal to export some of the liquors on Mars. My business partner, of course, reserves all rights to trading the rum.

I wonder how the other original colonists are doing? Those that are still here, I mean...

#166 2004-06-16 07:37:14

Cobra Commander

The people gathered outside the temple in a great throng, and the priests did distribute righteous spirits and fried rabbit amongst them, and it was good. Brethren, the prophet did speak, as we gather for the arduous march to the Promised Land thy Liberty Militia and thy great multitudes doth plan to establish their kingdom upon these grounds. But theirs are the laws of men, for which we have no use as we are governed by higher laws. And the Prophet spoke further of the militia, that their quest for governance would bring damnation, but as they labored to fulfill the first commandment they shall be spared the wrath, that they might find redemption under the blue skies. We shall leave these heathen lands to them, the Prophet spoke, and we shall have a homeland for the faithful, and this land shall be independent and sovereign, and shall be called Badestas. And we shall raise an army of the faithful and of robots that we may defend our land, and this army shall befit its name of Badestas Army, and we shall seek peaceful balance with the authorities convened by the heathens. And as the Prophet stood silent a column of robots did approach, and did stand at attention like unto stone. Who among you has faith enough to undertake this journey to the Promised Land, the Prophet spoke unto the people, and they did cheer, except for a few in the back who did slink away, and the eyes of the priests did fix upon them. Do not seek retribution, the Prophet spoke, for their punishment shall come from the Most High, and ye shall have vengeance as they suffer eternal torment in Hades, and then may ye rejoice in their misery if ye are so inclined and hath no greater cause for rejoicing. And the people did check their suits and weapons, and did prepare their rovers, hoppers, dirigibles, giant mutant rabbit steeds, and whatever other mode of transport they did possess. The Prophet did walk out of the city, carrying a tall rod of iron that had upon it a large rabbit skull and was inscribed in writing unfamiliar to the people, and he did walk to the south, and the people and robots did follow, and over the public frequency that all might hear, the Prophet did proclaim Onward to Hellas, onward to the promised land, may your faith carry you to the basin that ye may revel in the waters prophesied. And they did rejoice, and marched south on a gun toting pilgrimage. F**kin' a.

#167 2004-06-16 08:14:31

Rxke

Cripes...

Reprogrammed some old sats, and I'm getting patchy, though *very* exciting overhead pics from the surface, now.

Looks like C.C. has done something amazing... Still don't understand how he pulled it off, being drunk all the time, but his Soletta/ Canali-cutter device did its work amazingly efficient, though a certain S. Russel is moaning on the nets that the released CO2 is not good news for human breathability.
Whatever. I guess you can't have it all in one go.
At least we can venture outside in shirtsleeves now, with this thickened atmosphere, having to wear only a facemask and goggles is a tremendous advantage, IMO. And the plant just love it!

C.C. succeeded in more ways: he cut right through some mayor aquefiers, and the canaly are filling with open water, imagine that!

But... He's heading with his people to Hellas Basin, and latest incoming sattelitepics are showing it's rapidly filling up with... Yea, right: water!

I wonder how he's going to do the 'Mozes' trick... Knowing him, he'll just do it, the guy's amazing!

*kneels in front of a bottle*

#168 2004-06-16 09:32:51

Earthfirst

Earthfirst random thoughts.
Strange thing have been happening on mars, I guess I should read the newspaper more often. War has broken out with the UN blue caps, a mad colonist has made space gun and robots armys and kick those socialist do gooders off mars. Great! no one like them anyways :laugh:
But as an american I claim my home for the USA, other colonist want to start their own gov but we will see how far that goes when the great W Bush 14th, king of earth sends in the marines. "Pray for a quick death"
Also great news with terraforming now that the gooddor un is off mars rapid terraforming has started, the air is much thicker now great new for cheators but with no O2 they still die. To change that the big mirror that has been melting the polar cap is focas on a small area half mile wide. The intense heat melts the rock releasing O2 leaving the silca behinde, deep hole were mage ten miles deep. When the new oceans flood them the heat of mars will help keep the sea from freezing. As a add bonus hydrothermal deposite of copper and sliver will form.
Bad news from mars, with the new spave elavator constrution in west vrigena earth, hunderds of hill billys are moving to mars. In their new city Moonshine they have taken over the mars liquor industrys with their stills. Flooding mars with cheeap booze has cause organize crime to happen. The cobra gang, Hellas bozys, and the westside Amozians. Fight for truf the violence on mars gets worse and worse, we need a storg central gov to stim the tides of vice, and crime!
On a side note my colony which is the largest producer of corn and wheat on mars is booming, every one is buying my produce to make illegal booze. I can now get a second mail order wife.
Lastly the space port at Tempe has been renamed Reagan space port, and a gaint carving of his face on the clifs of vallas canyons.

I love plants!

#169 2004-06-17 11:51:34

A.J.Armitage

Settlement of the Brethren

Lord's Day, Leo 23

This, the first entry, is entered four days after our arrival. We have entered the lava tubes of Pavonis Mons, and are making good progress toward sealing them from all leakage. The work seems likely, Lord willing, to be done by next Lord's Day. Afterward, we will pressurize the tubes and begin to build each man his house.

On the Earth, the heathens at the U.N. persecuted us for our plans, and attempted to prevent us, but they failed. They warned us, and told us of Chinese settlers to come (we rejoice at having heathens to proselytize), and of how the Lord smote the original settlers for their obstinate heathenism with strong madness. We do not fear them, and will make contact so that we can evangelize as soon as the city is properly founded within the tubes.

On a personal note, some of the more buxum sistren have sore tempted me to forsake the path of righteousness.

Tomorrow is Aphelion.

Human: the other red meat.

#170 2004-06-17 11:55:22

clark

Journal entry,

Jerry Falwell has arrived on Mars.

I continue to make progress towards... well, I'm not quite sure where yet, but forward in this direction seems to be progress. The weird compass I found isn't working due to the lack of sunlight, it appears that some fools have taken to begin terraforming Mars. I've heard chatter about channels and thicker atmosphere. I don't quiote trust any of the talk though, so i'm not willing to venture outside my suit. It looks as if whatever the crazies of Cobra have done is stirring up one hell of a global dust storm. It's getting as thick as pea soup.

The changes and storm have led a certain urgency to this expedition- well, this wild goose chase at the very least. If the conditions don't improve soon, I might not ever find another marker from lack of visibility. Not that I know what it would look like to begin with. Maybe there is a clue in the old man's diary. I'll have to take a look when I have some down time.

In the mean time, ever forward towards thee truth, or one whopper of a lie.

#171 2004-06-17 12:23:27

Cobra Commander

And the comet of ice did approach the red planet, brought by the MADMEN sent by the Prophet long ago in the dark days, in the time of the Yu Knights. Lo, the comet did streak across the sky, and it did thicken the air and moisten the land, and the mosses and shrubberies did thrive, and the Prophet did say unto the people rejoice, for the day is coming when we may walk upon this land free of the masks and goggles and the dust shall settle, just as was prophesied the end of low pressure and deathly cold, and as that prophesy was fulfilled so shall this come to pass. And they did pitch their tents and circle their rovers, and did gather that they may hear the words of the Prophet.
Lo, my brethren, drink ye of the rum of life for strength you will need in the coming days. The Most High has said unto me that more heathens come, though they believe in their hearts that they are righteous and true, and that their false god be not false. As with all heathens we shall not take unto ourselves the task of retribution for that is solely the province of the Most High, but neither shall we suffer their heathenism nor be swayed by the words of their holy books for take heed, thou canst not say 'bible' without speaking 'bull' nor can thou say 'Prophet Cobra' without speaking 'prof' for I doth profess the true word of the Most High, and ye shalt profer the salvation of his word to the torment of heathens. And the people did drink of wisdom and rum, and it was good.
Though they did wish to rest the night, the Prophet did proclaim that the Promised Land was not far and they shall rest upon its shores, and the people did drive their rovers with some small difficulty, having drunk of wisdom and rum, and they did follow the canali until the rising of the sun without incident for robots did drive for those too full of the word of the Most High.

#172 2004-06-17 15:39:59

A.J.Armitage

Settlement of the Brethren

Monday, Aphelion, Leo 24

Work began today sealing the last caved-in portion of the tubes with a glass covering. A site for the Sanctuary has been chosen, as have the sites of the farms. We have heard radio broadcasts by the earlier settlers. It seems in their madness they have gone after a false prophet, fitly named Cobra, that is, a serpent. And they drink to excess, not with one glass, but many.

He has spoken of us (he claims to have heard from the Most High; whether he was informed by the U.N., by spies, or by his demons, I know not), and, in the fashion of ranting false prophets, disclaimed the "task of retribution" against us, and then said he would not "suffer their heathenism", thus threatening us. The Council of Elders ordained that the robots, which have grenade launchers for use against the soldiers of the Adversary, be put on patrol around the base of our Mount Pavonis, and also that the Fabricator be used to make more such robots for a perpetual guard, and also to make a Great Battery atop the mountain, to break out with missles against any evil ones who draw near.

Human: the other red meat.

#173 2004-06-17 16:03:56

BWhite

Journal entry,

Jerry Falwell has arrived on Mars.

I hear he was pissed when all his friends were "beamed up" leaving him behind.

Mars seemed like a great place for watching Terran fireworks.

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#174 2004-09-30 15:55:01

Trebuchet
Banned

It was decades after the great Founding Period of Mars, and the ochre flag of the Republic of Mars flew over the historic TempleBar, where an aged Trebuchet served beer and groused about the degenerate nature of today's youth. "I remember the good old days, when men were men, rabbits were mutants, and Yu Knights were dead! What happened?" The assorted younger Martians at the bar, none of whom had made the long journey from the Old Planet themselves, simply stopped and stared at the old-timer. The silence of the bar was only broken by the rasping breath filters of pilgrims paying homage to the statue of Darth Cobra holding a shot of liquor and crushing a Yu Knight beneath his feet.

"Aww, things weren't like that back then, old timer," one of the young 'uns said. He looked barely old enough to shave, nevermind drink alcohol... though Mars didn't have a drinking age. "My parents were always on my case about how lazy I was, and how they walked five miles to get to from their hab to the airlocks in town."

"Your parents DID walk five miles to town, you young punk! I know they did because they knew they couldn't drive back!" The kids laughed, thinking he was just joking, but the angry Trebuchet slammed his fist down, making the whole bar shake.

"You think this is funny? This is your own history you're forgetting!"

"History?" One of the kids pointed a thumb in the direction of Darth Cobra. "It's just tall tales you originals tell everyone."

"How dare you blaspheme the Great Prophet!" one of the Cobraites hissed.

"He looks sort of like a Yu Knight..." one of the other Cobraites said, as everyone tensed for a fight.

"Now, none of that in the bar," Trebuchet said, having pulled a shotgun from beneath the counter. Everyone looked and sat down slowly. "It's no tall tales, now. I knew Cobra back in the day. He'd sit right over there," Trebuchet pointed to where the statue now stood, "and proclaim his message to the masses."

"Cobra is a myth!" one of the young Martians said.

"A myth! Why, I'll find him so you can say that to his face!" Slamming the shotgun back into its spot under the bar (and incidentally shooting out one end of it), the old man got out from behind the counter.

"You intend to find the prophet?" one of the Cobraites said.

"Damn straight," the elderly Trebuchet said.

"But he said he would only return in Mars's darkest hour!" one of the other followers said.

"Well then, I guess I just have to immanentize this eschaton, don't I?" he answered, with a clever look on his face. "Say, you boys mind lending a hand...?"

#175 2004-09-30 16:54:58

Rxke

*A bald, eerily phosphorising Rxke, creakingly rizes from behind the battered Hammon organ*

"I'm with you, Treb, 'bout time we old'uns kick up some dust..."

*His lower body, encased in a Martian built exoskeleton, shivers in anticipation, and the half-man swivels his head 360 degrees, in order to take in his surroundings.
The younger generation gawks at the terrifying sight, and freezes when this barely human creature stares at them with his GM'ed snake-eyes...*

"Keeds, y'all know nuttin', I say. Nuttin.
Tell you what, I'm going to find Clark, too! Heh.

Good ol times! Who else wants to join?"

Board footer