New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-05-26 09:25:20

Palomar

Re: You're a 1st Marsian Settler

*I can see myself:

1.  Assisting in the medical facility (keeping records of settlers' health issues; logging reports; inventory and restocking of, say, medication and equipment, etc.).

2.  Helping out in the greenhouse (love to watch things grow).

3.  Preparing and experimenting with food/meals.

4.  Helping with meterology experiments, dust devil hunting, etc.

You?

--Cindy

P.S.:  Rocks and boulders are booooooring.  :sleep:

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-05-26 09:27:10

clark

getting thrown out of the airlock.

#3 2004-05-26 09:32:25

Cobra Commander

Throwing clark out the airlock.  big_smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#4 2004-05-26 09:38:31

clark

:laugh:

I think you once commented that you would be the second person thrown out, so at least you will be in good company.  big_smile

#5 2004-05-26 10:02:21

Bill White

I can see myself:

complaining. . .

#6 2004-05-26 10:36:06

Cobra Commander

I think you once commented that you would be the second person thrown out, so at least you will be in good company.

:laugh:  I foresee incessant airlock malfunctions after clark's expulsion.  big_smile

But to Cindy's question:

I can see myself, aside from being a little overbearing and generally disagreeable when things go wrong:

1) Reparing damaged equipment in a manner inconsistent with the manufacturer's recommendations.

2) Saying "Dammit, I'll do it!" everytime some menial task outside needs attending to. "Yeah, whine about the radiation. We'll see how important that is when the airlocks malfunction again."  big_smile

3) Trying to do donuts in a rover.

4) Making weapons to annoy those who are determined to keep them off the planet.

5) Depending on personal weight allowances, planting evidence of past Martian civilizations, visits by Jesus Christ, and Nazi occupation. In that order.

6) Setting up the first Martian disc golf course. Need lots of land.

7) Complaining about the food.

8) Working my ass off to build as much infrastructure as possible.

9) Complaining about the hours, the cold, and the hard work every day, yet feeling contentment and pride at having accomplished something worthwhile at the day's end.

10) Constantly telling the governing authorities what they should be doing, offering actual alternative ideas.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#7 2004-05-26 10:39:10

Palomar

I can see myself:

complaining. . .

*About what?  ??? 

I'd also assist with mending/repairing clothing (alterations; I used to make fairly good money at that, when I was a teenager).

Assist in the maintenance and care of whatever small animals (we're talking *1st settlement*, early stages) might be there.  Bunny wabbits, guinea pigs, Japanese hens, etc.

Making long ropes of multicolored love beads (if Cobra threatens to throw bunny wabbits out of the airlock, I'll wrap him up in love beads and toss HIM out...).  tongue

--Cindy  smile

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#8 2004-05-26 10:44:33

Cobra Commander

Making long ropes of multicolored love beads (if Cobra threatens to throw bunny wabbits out of the airlock, I'll wrap him up in love beads and toss HIM out...).  tongue

Wouldn't think of it, gotta have enough of 'em around to eat. big_smile

#9 2004-05-26 12:33:02

Rxke

Sit behind the desk, downloading information, manuals,... trying to keep in touch with people, on the other side of the planet, and all that 16-20 hours a day (what i'm doing now big_smile  )

Seriously, as I stated before, I don't feel above doing the dishes, or take out the trash, do the 'dirty' stuff (I HAVE done work as a waste-collector, for more than a year, yay blowflies and maggots bring 'em on!)

#10 2004-05-26 12:35:59

Rxke

BTW... Clark, C.C.? Care to lend a hand, gotta take out 'em big trash-containers outa the airlock, can't do it by myself... Be a sport will ya?

big_smile  :;):

#11 2004-05-26 12:41:25

Cobra Commander

BTW... Clark, C.C.? Care to lend a hand, gotta take out 'em big trash-containers outa the airlock, can't do it by myself... Be a sport will ya?

Dammit, I'll do it.  big_smile

Can't let that stuff sit around in a closed environment too long.

Hey, I'll rush back in and we can seal the airlock with clark outside, you know, for laughs.  big_smile

#12 2004-05-26 13:17:08

Rxke

Didn't you notice I'm the only one wearing a (very dirty) pressure suit? SURPRIZE!  big_smile  tongue  :;):

(Ten minutes later...)

Cindy? Cindy? CINDY!!! Open up, it's me!

... Errr... Plan 2...

"HAL, please open the airlock for me, will you, purty pleaaase?"

(Rxke wonders why the nametag on his suit has apparently been changed into 'Dave'... Hmmmm...)

#13 2004-05-26 13:28:41

Palomar

Didn't you notice I'm the only one wearing a (very dirty) pressure suit? SURPRIZE!  big_smile  tongue  :;):

(Ten minutes later...)

... Errr... Plan 2...

*Aw, you know I wouldn't keep you locked out, Rik.  smile

Seriously, as I stated before, I don't feel above doing the dishes, or take out the trash, do the 'dirty' stuff (I HAVE done work as a waste-collector, for more than a year, yay blowflies and maggots bring 'em on!)

*Oh yeah.  Someone's got to scrub and chop veggies...I'd do that.  Dust, sweep floors...sure.  Those aren't my *first* tasks of choice (just being honest), but I'd roll up my sleeves and pitch in to help "menial" chores like those as well.  Good exercise too.

--Cindy

#14 2004-05-26 13:42:53

Cobra Commander

Quote (Rxke @ May 26 2004, 15:17)
Didn't you notice I'm the only one wearing a (very dirty) pressure suit? SURPRIZE!       

(Ten minutes later...)

... Errr... Plan 2...

*Aw, you know I wouldn't keep you locked out, Rik.

I think I'd better copy the keys.  big_smile Maybe rig a few bypasses.

Living on Mars with this group could lead to a serious case of Space Madness   yikes

#15 2004-05-26 13:54:39

Rxke

Actually, i thought your answer would be how you lightningly fast had converted a trash container into an emergency spacesuit, and, together with Clark, were debating inside wether the bits and scraps on the bottom of said container would be enough to device a rail-gun, or you'd just crush me against the lock with the 'hard suit'  big_smile

(Hmmm... What about a new, fiction-thread, Cindy? 'The fabulous adventures of the Zany New Mars Colonists..' before this gets out of hand, heehee...)

#16 2004-05-26 14:05:58

Cobra Commander

Actually, i thought your answer would be how you lightningly fast had converted a trash container into an emergency spacesuit, and, together with Clark, were debating inside wether the bits and scraps on the bottom of said container would be enough to device a rail-gun, or you'd just crush me against the lock with the 'hard suit'

Nah, after we'd sealed ourselves in the trash container, which would of course be equipped with an airtight seal to lock in the uh... freshness... we'd repair a discarded radio with the available materials and use the metal body of the container as an antenna to transmit an ultimatum to open the door. If no one complies we'd just activate clark's kill-switch, which though I vehemently fought in the council to stop, was installed anyway through back channels.

big_smile

(Hmmm... What about a new, fiction-thread, Cindy? 'The fabulous adventures of the Zany New Mars Colonists..' before this gets out of hand, heehee...)

Might not be a bad idea, see who goes loco first.

#17 2004-05-26 14:15:09

Palomar

Living on Mars with this group could lead to a serious case of Space Madness   yikes

*Is that a compliment or an insult?  :laugh:

Rik, I've been considering starting a Marsian "gallows humor" sort of thread...maybe this is it.  wink

You know...no bugs to eat on Mars if astronauts run out of food and greenhouses fail.  yikes

--Cindy  wink

Cobra:  Nah, after we'd sealed ourselves in the trash container, which would of course be equipped with an airtight seal to lock in the uh... freshness... we'd repair a discarded radio with the available materials and use the metal body of the container as an antenna to transmit an ultimatum to open the door.

*McGyver of Mars, eh?

#18 2004-05-26 14:24:54

clark

Starving astronauts?

"Donner, party of... er, one." [burp]

I hearby declare myself the first member of the Martian underground... asuming of course anyone has the decency to bury me.  tongue  big_smile

#19 2004-05-26 14:27:54

Cobra Commander

You know...no bugs to eat on Mars if astronauts run out of food and greenhouses fail.

Hmm. Well, there's astronauts.   ???

Now who still doesn't want weapons.  big_smile The Cannibals of Mars!

Sounds like another "Rant Against the Regime" track.

Quote (Cobra Commander @ May 26 2004, 15:42)
Living on Mars with this group could lead to a serious case of Space Madness   

*Is that a compliment or an insult?

That's the question isn't it.  :laugh: A compliment of course, except when space madness sets in, then it's mindless muttering.

EDIT:

I hearby declare myself the first member of the Martian underground... assuming of course anyone has the decency to bury me.

You'll be the first out, remember? big_smile  Refrigerated.

This is getting morbid even for me. big_smile

#20 2004-05-26 14:31:38

Mundaka
Banned

Dig a well.

Build a kiln and start selling bricks to people who wanted to build their own place.

Build my own place, the one built into the side of a cliff with the domed garden in front and big rooms inside and small hobbit warrens and the balconey and rabbits and mosaics of the sea (and New Mexico and jungles and the northwestern forests.)

Take side bets on whether Clark or Cobra would win a game of "Abandon Ship." :bars:

Fix things at the initial settlement -- I'm really good at fixing things, most of the stuff I own is at least twenty years old -- I just keep fixing it over and over (I really hate shopping.)

Avoid cooking -- I can cook fish really well, not exactly a useful skill on Mars. I only have one good terrestrial dish, which I call "slapitogedda", which tends to vary according to which leftovers are . . . left. Best to leave that one to Cindy. Sewing too: I can do it and the stiches will hold, but its no great shakes to look at.

Growing food -- mmm . . . fresh tomatoes. Coneys an' taters an carrots an' herbs (Gollum would go loony.)

Remind Cobra that he forgot to fake UFO and Elvis sightings.

Loony? On Mars? Wait a minute . . . ???

Try to develop some kind of reliable transportation vehicle, to haul -- and charge for hauling -- bricks and other freight from the initial settlement to outlieing homesteads.

Dana says she would weave cloth from hemp and make clothes for babies.

I'd grow hemp! :;): (Just because I could.)

Weapons making? How do you build a rifle -- or a blunderbuss -- anyway? Rxke has probably hidden the required technology somewhere in the computer network so . . . ok Rxke, 500 bricks for the info . . . come on, whaddaya got there, 15th century muskets? You probably got it at Sears -- ok ok, 1000 bricks, but I want rifled barrels too!

I'd grow lots and LOTS of food: Martian winters are long and cold, and bunnies need lots of carrots and cowslips.

Make babies. Lots and LOTS . . . smile

EDIT: Writing a Charter for a "Civil Body Politik", or however it was spelled by our ancestors. What it would say is an entirely different thread.

EDIT Part Deux: Compile our knowledge so it wouldn't be lost.

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

#21 2004-05-26 14:43:47

clark

You'll be the first out, remember?   Refrigerated.

Just call me Mummy.

Not yours, just in general.

Mundaka said "Abandon Ship"! okay.... 1:42.  big_smile

I guess, prior to my untimely departure from the warmth of such fine folks as ya'll, I would busy myself building the golden calfs I adore so much.

Maybe even use a few of Mundaka's bricks. At least then i could fight back against the growing martian milita (hey, when you guys going to print your own currency?)

Edit: "compile our knowledge"... okay, what are you going to do after those five minutes?  tongue  big_smile

#22 2004-05-26 14:47:10

Cobra Commander

I guess, prior to my untimely departure from the warmth of such fine folks as ya'll, I would busy myself building the golden calfs I adore so much.

Maybe even use a few of Mundaka's bricks. At least then i could fight back against the growing martian milita (hey, when you guys going to print your own currency?)

I'll give you five blasting cap-fired rifles finely crafted from plumbing supplies and a sword for that golden calf.  big_smile

Hurry up, the militia's comin'.

#23 2004-05-26 14:48:23

clark

I think I would have more use for a spare O2 tank.  big_smile

#24 2004-05-26 14:51:11

Cobra Commander

I think I would have more use for a spare O2 tank.

That's gonna cost ya another golden calf.  big_smile

#25 2004-05-26 14:54:06

clark

Don't worry, anyone who wants one can go collect it... outside. I'll be right behind ya.  big_smile

I might add, if you use the plumbing parts to make guns, you may wish you were living outside!  :laugh: I'm guessing we won't put you in charge of infrastructure planning.  tongue  big_smile

Board footer