New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#76 2024-02-27 20:51:20

GW Johnson
Website

Re: Google Meet Collaboration - Meetings Plus Followup Discussion

I cannot answer the question.  I know about paint,  but far less about those other coatings.  All I do know about steel in saltwater is that it corrodes very badly if not coated well enough to isolate it.  Those 5/8-inch thick panels they brought up from the Titanic were well-painted 2-inch steel plate when she was built.   Aluminum is worse,  but also a bit different in the way it corrodes. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#77 2024-02-28 12:12:53

tahanson43206

We have a scheduled speaker for the Google Meeting on Sunday.

GW Johnson has agreed to offer a dress rehearsal of his talk before the Carbon Society in March.

I'm looking for NewMars members who are willing to serve as reviewers.

It is possible for us to advance the time of the meeting from 1 AM UTC to something more acceptable to our European members, while remaining accessible to our US members. 

Google came up with these possible times:

Universal Time (UTC) to Houston, Texas ( in Houston)
7 pm UTC    is    1 pm in Houston
8 pm UTC    is    2 pm in Houston
9 pm UTC    is    3 pm in Houston
10 pm UTC    is    4 pm in Houston
8 more rows

Please let us (me) know as soon as possible if you (our European members) have any interest in this event.

(th)

#78 2024-03-02 07:45:43

tahanson43206

Reminder:

We have a scheduled speaker for the Google Meeting on Sunday.

GW Johnson has agreed to offer a dress rehearsal of his talk before the Carbon Society in March.

I'm looking for NewMars members who are willing to serve as reviewers.

It is too late for us to offer the European time for this meeting. However, the offer remains open for future weeks.

It is possible for us to advance the time of the meeting from 1 AM UTC to something more acceptable to our European members, while remaining accessible to our US members. 

Google came up with these possible times:

Universal Time (UTC) to Houston, Texas ( in Houston)
7 pm UTC    is    1 pm in Houston
8 pm UTC    is    2 pm in Houston
9 pm UTC    is    3 pm in Houston
10 pm UTC    is    4 pm in Houston
8 more rows

Please let us (me) know if you (our European members) have any interest in a more convenient time for the Google Meeting.

Dr. Johnson's talk will proceed as planned, at 7 PM Houston time.

(th)

#79 2024-03-03 13:04:25

tahanson43206

We are on track for the Google Meeting at 7 pM Houston time, 8 PM New Hampshire.

Dr. Johnson has three talks available, in case anyone has a preference:

I presume the time is 7 PM Texas

I have 3,  which would you like to hear? 

One is about using the old by-hand things as screening tools for many ideas,  down to the best 1 or 2.  Doing this allows you to concentrate your more inrentense & expensive software-based design analyses on only those 1 or 2 best notions.  That way you can afford both to brainstorm and to adequately support your choices.  The example for this was the old 1953-vintage entry analysis done by spreadsheet,  although the strategy applies to just about anything.

Another is about the ablative insulations I tested in a real ramjet engine 1990-1992,  along with experimental fuels,  and in adaptive hardware.  It includes discussion of what we did to achieve 15 min burns from something that charred through in only 1 minute,  plus what it took to bond booster rocket propellant to it. Lots of test photos in this one. 

The third one is a rework of the low-density ceramic thing I presented at the convention in Boulder back around 2013-ish. 

GW

(th)

#80 2024-03-03 18:58:21

tahanson43206

Google Meeting is ready to go

The link is in Post #1 of this topic

We're standing by for GW Johnson ... reminder this is the Google meeting not Zoom

Update following presentation ...

That was ** very ** interesting ... kbd512 asked a number of ** really ** interesting questions.

Dr. Johnson's work on the ground was flight tested by the Air Force, and the materials he selected for the tests held up.

The customer (for the presentation) is The Carbon Society, which may be looking for additional markets for carbon, in and age when just burning carbon for energy is becoming less attractive as a use for the material.

https://www.americancarbonsociety.org/

The web site above provides information about the upcoming conference where GW Johnson will be a speaker.

In addition to the scheduled talk, GW will be providing two poster presentations.

He'll also be offering flyers about his new Ramjet book and the Orbital Mechanics Basic course that is offered vie NewMars.com/forums

(th)

#81 2024-03-10 10:23:59

tahanson43206

Daylight Savings returned to Standard Time in the US today.

I missed the change, so missed the Sunday Morning show I usually catch.

The change means that the NewMars Google Meeting is now at Midnight UTC once again, for whatever ** that ** is worth.

I'm planning to open the Waiting Room at Midnight UTC and look forward to whatever topics may come up.

(th)

#82 2024-03-10 18:00:03

tahanson43206

Setting up for Google meeting ... will be a minute or two late (th)

kbd512 is here ...

The Waiting Room is open ...

The meeting lasted two hours and covered a wide range of topics.

We ended with a look at klee Irwin.

(th)

#83 2024-03-17 06:56:35

tahanson43206

Today is NewMars Google Meeting day...

We are back to the Midnight UTC starting time.

7 PM Houston, 8 PM New Hampshire

There are a number of topics in motion in the forum ...

My focus is on seeing if we can set up the new Azure account for NewMarsMember  to support upgrade of the forum software.

Upgrade of the forum software has two distinct phases....

The first phase is to simply modify the software we have now to run with modern supporting packages, including MySQL and Apache.

An outcome of the successful completion of the first phase will be an opportunity to test the proposed new Index level forums.

The second phase would be a bit more challenging.  It would involve converting from our famiar FluxBB software to the up-to-date PunBB forum software.  FluxBB descended from PunBB, so there are many similarities. However, some differences are inevitable, and the conversion process will have to account for them.

Status of Azure account...

The Azure account is open and ready but nothing has been done to start configuration.

The first decision to be made is which of the many available environments we want to create.

The leading candidates are Windows 10 and Linux Ubuntu 22.04.

There are a number of other choices available, but these two would be of most immediate value.

kbd512 has the duplicate forum software running on a Windows machine.  I have the database set up and working on Ubuntu 22.04.

The advantage of the Azure account (if we can get it to work) is that SpaceNut and RobertDyck can assist with testing online.

(th)

#84 2024-03-17 18:00:41

tahanson43206

Google Meeting is open.. (th)

The meeting is set up but no one has stopped in at the waiting room.

kbd412 joined and we are working on Azure setup

Post meeting summary: kbd512 and I set up a plain vanilla Linux 20.04 system and experimented with it a bit.

The session timed out while we were looking at the system I set up on this Ubuntu 22.04 system, but I have a clear work assignment for next week.  I have the complete history of all the commands needed to configure the existing system, so it should be possible to recreate the setup I have here on the new VR system.

(th)

#85 2024-03-24 09:05:36

tahanson43206

Today is Google Meeting day for NewMars ... we are back to Midnight UTC, so it is ** just ** possible for our European members to connect.

I've invited Dr. Johnson to share a bit from his recent trip to the Carbon Society conference, but do not yet have a confirmation.

How SpaceX can fix it's heat shield problem is a hot topic (pun intended) on NewMars right now.

(th)

#86 2024-03-24 18:01:22

tahanson43206

The Waiting Room is open.

GW Johnson is back from conference, and with any luck he may stop by.

For SpaceNut re forum software ... it turns out that the curly brace I found today was one that was still lurking in the system after kbd512's earlier work, so I'm glad I went through the exercise to find it.  I'll put my work on hold until kbd512 has time to set up a computer to resume work on the project.

All-in-all ... excellent meeting!  kbd512 and GW filled out the hour. It was hard to keep up.

Next Sunday is Easter, so I'll be unsurprised if we decide to skip that week.

(th)

#87 2024-03-24 19:25:56

kbd512
Administrator

Coatings and Surface Treatments for Reusable Entry Systems - Sylvia M. Johnson - NASA Ames Research Center

The TUFI portion of TUFROC contains a borosilicate glass coating.  There's a Silica-based insulator, Carbon-based cap, borosilicate glass glazing / coating over the Carbon cap for improved oxidation resistance.  After 3 consecutive X-37 flights, there was no apparent damage to the TUFROC tile.

#88 2024-03-26 10:51:47

tahanson43206

This is a follow up on the Azure reports earlier in this topic.

Today, I learned (to my amazement) that ChatGPT has been blended into the Microsoft Co-Pilot ... Naturally, the result is an instantly helpful guide to working with Azure.  I'd been stuck with an empty Linux VR (Virtual Environment) that didn't seem to be able to do anything useful.

This morning I asked Co-Pilot (ChatGPT) about the problem, and it came back with a series of steps that I intend to follow later today.

My confidence level shot up greatly, now that I know ChatGPT is available to help with glitches that are inevitable for someone approaching this complex environment for the ? third ? time. 

(th)

#89 2024-03-30 18:50:09

tahanson43206

Because Sunday is Easter, it seems to me appropriate to omit the weekly Google Meeting from the schedule.

The next regularly scheduled Google Meeting will be April 7th, at midnight UTC.

(th)

#90 2024-04-06 20:28:42

tahanson43206

The weekly opportunity for NewMars members to join the Google Meeting at Midnight UTC will open tomorrow, after a two week hiatus.

The waiting room will open at 7 PM Houston time and 8 PM New Hampshire time.

Midnight is a bit late for our European members.

We have a standing offer to open a meeting at a more convenient time for anyone who might like to set up a meeting.

(th)

#91 2024-04-07 17:58:20

tahanson43206

Google Meeting is nearly ready to go live .... (th)

The waiting room is ready to go....

Please use the link in Post #1 of this topic if you would like to knock on the door.

(th)

#92 2024-04-07 18:33:57

tahanson43206

kbd512 ... please try to reconnect ...

#93 2024-04-07 21:11:50

tahanson43206

This is a follow up on the work session this evening ...

There is a bit more debugging ahead, apparently.

I suspect there is an issue arising from the fact we've updated the MySQL database to a newer version.

ChatGPT4 and I verified that the database config table matches what the common.php file is expecting. Both values are 21.

However, the maintenance message shows up regardless of which php file I start, which suggests there is a problem with common.php, or more likely, with one of the files it calls.  Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a simple way of finding the problem, because (so far) I have not been able to find any output to an error file.

As a preliminary step, ChatGPT4 created a little script I will run tomorrow to update a field in the posts table, to make sure I can update tables.  I expect the update will succeed, but this little test will confirm it.

What ChatGPT4 was guessing is that db_update.php may not be updating something it wants to update, but that is just a guess.

(th)

#94 2024-04-14 07:43:33

tahanson43206

Today is Google Meeting day at NewMars....

I'm hoping we can discuss:

1) My most recent discovery in working with the FluxBB upgrade on my development PC
2) The new Azure test forum
3) Dr. Johnson's latest video, and specifically the challenge of helping viewers to find the spreadsheets

? other items ?

The start time will be Midnight UTC... 7 PM Houston ... 8 PM New Hampshire

Update ... my Internet has been flaky today.  I'm hoping things settle down for the evening Google Meeting.

If the Internet goes out during the meeting, the meeting ** should ** continue, if anyone is connected,

I have to reboot my router to clear whatever the congestion is, and that may take as much as five minutes, because the router is in a different part of the building.

(th)

#95 2024-04-14 19:05:12

tahanson43206

For kbd512 ... do you want to keep going? (th)

#96 2024-04-14 19:05:20

kbd512
Administrator

I keep trying to go back, but it says the meeting has ended and boots me back to the home screen.

#97 2024-04-14 19:05:51

tahanson43206

Ok I'll open another session (th)

#98 2024-04-14 19:07:21

kbd512
Administrator

Let me know when you get the meeting running.

#99 2024-04-14 19:07:40

tahanson43206

OK ... I sent email to you to connect to an Instant Meeting (th)

Post meeting report:

OK ... I have a homework assignment....

I'll find a script that I saw that converts punBB to phpBB3.

I'll send that to kbd512.

For SpaceNut ... the new direction we are going to consider is upgrading the existing FluxBB database to the new phpBB3 system you have just logged into. 

(th)

#100 2024-04-20 21:12:47

tahanson43206

Sunday is Google Meeting Day at NewMars...

A lot has happened at NewMars in the past week.

We'll open the waiting room at Midnight UTC - 7 PM Houston - 8 PM New Hampshire

The phpBB3 test / demo site on Azzure seems to be working well.

Work is progressing (very slowly) in correcting hundreds of bugs in FluxBB 1.5.11.

The package is actually running (limping) on the Azure site.  Today I learned how to debug with a browser, using Visual Studio Code with PHP extensions and a set of debugging tools.  The issue I'm currently investigating is the missing data that we ** don't ** see when we run a request to see topics in a Category. All the data is being delivered by the MySQL database, but some of it gets lost before it can be shown to the operator.  There are no error messages. The data just goes away!

(th)

Board footer