New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2023-10-22 19:06:12

tahanson43206

Google Meet Collaboration - Meetings Plus Followup Discussion

Mars Society is moving away from Zoom, and toward meet.google.com.

kbd512 is familiar with Google Meet.

I just opened the service and created a meeting. The service works with the existing browser.
There is nothing to download.

The link below is for use when tahanson43206 is host:
https://meet.google.com/rak-uwje-oot

The link below is for use when kbd512 is host:
<to be entered>

The link below is for when RobertDyck is host:
<to be entered>

It turns out that the link above is permanent, the way the link we have for the Zoom account is permanent.

The announcement that the meeting is ready says:

People who used this meeting link must get your permission before they can join.

I have learned how to give someone permission. It just requires the individual have a Google account.

Google accounts are free, and my guess is that most folks already have one.

Updated 2023/11/21 Expanded role for topic...

GW Johnson and Calliban have added posts to this topic following the meeting of November 19, 2023.  These posts illustrate the potential for this topic to contain followup discussion of topics that came up in the meeting.  As a courtesy, I'd appreciate members referring explicitly to the post and the topic within the post to which they are adding a comment.  Any post in the Google Meet topic should have ** some ** connection to the most recent meeting.

(th)

#2 2023-10-22 19:12:45

tahanson43206

Re: Google Meet Collaboration - Meetings Plus Followup Discussion

I asked how to admit someone to a meeting...

Add or remove people from a Google Meet meeting
1. When a request to join the meeting appears, click *Admit* or *Deny entry*. 2. Click *View all* when you have multiple participants waiting to join the meeting. Choose an option: - Next to the name, click *Admit* or *Deny entry* to admit or deny participants one at a time.
Read more

(th)

#3 2023-10-23 07:15:38

tahanson43206

As an experiment, I clicked on the link in the opening post for this topic, and Google opened a Google Meet session.

The session is waiting for admission:

The text is: Asking to be let in ...
You'll join the call when someone lets you in

I expect the "someone" is the email address that created the link.

Update a few minutes later: Boy! That was easy!

I set up a session on a second system, and found that the first session was waiting.  I clicked "Admit" and the first session showed up.

The red telephone icon at bottom center is used to leave the session.

Based upon this first experiment, I think this is a viable system.

It appears that we need a link for each host.  That is different from the Zoom situation.

I'll notify the Admins that they can set up their individual links in the top post of this topic.

(th)

#4 2023-10-23 13:33:10

GW Johnson
Website

I tried the link and it worked.  I was able to get my camera on.  There was a blue button top right that was about asking to be let in,  and I was waiting to be let in,  with nobody there to let me in. 

There was no red button of any kind at bottom center!  Absolutely nothing on the screen was labeled in any way as the way to sign out.  I was stymied about how to get out,  until I tried clicking on the blue "ask to get in" button again.  THAT signed me out. 

But it was NOT obvious!  Actually getting out was more luck than anything else.  The people who write this software do not (or cannot) think about people like me,  for whom NOTHING about computers is intuitively obvious. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#5 2023-10-23 13:39:04

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson!

Re #4 ... thanks for giving the new Meeting system a try.

The RED button has a telephone receiver icon.  I thought that it might ring a bell for you.  However, it was not exactly in the center of the bottom of the screen.  It is a bit to the right of the center.

Please try again. Remember, there is NO ONE there to let you in at this time. This is a practice session to see if you can start the software.

You actually did REALLY WELL !!!!

Remember, if YOU can to it, ANY  of our members can do it!

(th)

#6 2023-10-23 22:45:36

GW Johnson
Website

I tried a second time with exactly the same result.  There is nothing red,  or shaped like a phone,  anywhere on the screen,  not at all.  The only way out was to hit the blue sign-in button top right of screen,  which I originally found by accident.  What I see on my screen simply does NOT match what you describe.

That being said,  I have now gotten into the meeting software,  and back out of it,  twice.  This second time my camera started automatically.  That was the only difference. 

Let me know what times might be convenient to try a 2-way connection. 

--  GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#7 2023-10-24 06:14:43

tahanson43206

For GW Johnson re #6

Thank you for trying the new software a second time.

A live test is likely to be helpful!  If you are seeing something different than I am seeing, I need to know that!

Let's set up a test meeting at Midnight UTC today.

Everyone is welcome to participate. 

The link in Post #1 at the top of this topic is available 24*7 for testing.

I'll activate the Admission feature at Midnight UTC and anyone who is connected at the time will be admitted to the meeting.

I have tested so far on Google Chromebook and Windows 10, and will test later today on Linux and Windows 7.

(th)

#8 2023-10-24 07:13:48

tahanson43206

This is a follow up on the report by GW Johnson for his two tests of the new Google Meeting service...

I had not seen the scenario he experienced until today, due to the sequence I followed in setting up the service for NewMars.

The Red Telephone is at the bottom of the screen AFTER one has been admitted to a meeting.

Thanks to GW Johnson for reporting that the icon is NOT available for a person in the Waiting Room.

In that case, to leave just close the browser window

Reminder: GW and I are planning a test meeting at Midnight UTC ... Use the link in Post #1 to connect.

I will have the session open a few minutes before the official start time.

Anyone is welcome to test the new facility.

Update after test on Linux Ubuntu 22.04 .... The Meeting Software ran fine on this system. I learned a bit more about the way this software works.

It appears that if Google recognizes a computer, and if the user has a Google account, then Google automatically connects the user to the Google Meeting as the host.  I had not realized that was going on, which is why I missed what Dr. Johnson reported.

In any case, I'll be looking for ways to try to improve the Waiting Room, the way we were able to do with Zoom.

(th)

#9 2023-10-24 17:54:31

tahanson43206

I'm trying to set up for this evening's live test of the new Google Meeting service.

My plan was to run on an Ubuntu system which has two monitors, camera and audio.

Unfortunately I started the boot later than would have been ideal ... the system had a number of updates to install, and I am still waiting for the login to appear.

(th)

#10 2023-10-24 17:59:20

tahanson43206

I'm set up with audio only on a backup machine

While waiting to see if anyone decides to try this service, I sent an email to GW Johnson.

Update at 20:15 local time .... the Ubuntu box wants to install 1160.2 MB more updates. 

However, just for fun, I decided to connect to the session already running on the audio only machine.

The connection was seamless.  I appreciate the audio alert the system provided.

OK ... I'll leave things as they are.  The audio only machine is running in background but it will let me know if someone enters the waiting room.

Update a bit later .... In case anyone shows up, I have orbit38 running, and it should be possible to share it.

Yay! The share is working.

Update at 21:00 local time 1 AM UTC ... This seemed to me to have been a successful test. The meeting lasted the full hour without interruption. I wasn't able to test audio but expect it was working well, since the audio alerts worked.  The presentation worked perfectly for the time it was on, which was most of the hour.  All in all, I think this is a worthy successor to Zoom.  So now we have ** two ** options for meetings.  The old Zoom setup appears to be working well, with the limitation that meetings will be limited to 40 minutes.

(th)

#11 2023-10-25 06:37:37

NewMarsMember

During the Tuesday evening live test of Google Meet, I sent an invitation to newmarsmember.  The invitation showed up in the incoming mail this morning.  The message contained a large blue button to Join the meeting.  I tried it and it worked.

The link is identical to the one shown in Post #1 of this topic.

Tom Hanson (via Google Meet) <meetings-noreply@google.com>
Oct 24, 2023, 8:40PM (11 hours ago)
to me

Google Meet logo
Tom Hanson is inviting you to join a video call happening now
JOIN CALL
meet.google.com/rak-uwje-oot

As reported in the Google Meeting topic, I tested the Share Screen feature, and it worked well.

(th)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#12 2023-10-25 08:28:31

GW Johnson
Website

Our internet was out because of the storms all afternoon and overnight last night.  It's back this morning.  Sorry I could not attempt to join the test meeting.  We had no internet communications of any kind at all,  for several hours. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

#13 2023-10-25 08:52:18

tahanson43206

I'd be willing to run the test again this evening, at midnight UTC, as before.

We might be lucky and catch the Internet between storms!

I thought the test session Tuesday evening was productive, but there are still features i'd like to test in a real session.

The most important features are already looking reliable: There is an audio chime when someone enters the Waiting Room and knocks on the door.
Plus! The screen share works seamlessly. And! The session held up without a hiccup for an hour.  My guess is it would last for as long as might be needed.

We have an opportunity to set up multiple hosts so we can spread the load a bit.

(th)

#14 2023-10-25 09:22:21

GW Johnson
Website

I will try to join at 7 PM CDT.  We will see,  the storms continue here.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

#15 2023-10-25 17:41:29

tahanson43206

The system where I will be running Google Meeting is up and apparently not in need of updates.

The connection is available in the top post of this topic.

You can connect at any time, and I am planning to admit anyone in the Waiting Room a few minutes before Midnight UTC, and for the next full hour.

(th)

#16 2023-10-25 18:01:02

tahanson43206

GW Johnson and I are in the meeting.
Anyone else is welcome.
Just click on the link in Post #1

For Dr. Johnson:
Here is the advice on how to change the mouse color:

How to change the colour of the mouse pointer in Windows 10 ...
Open the Ease of Access settings by pressing the Windows logo key + U. Alternatively, click Start > Settings > Ease of Access. Select Mouse pointer from the left-hand column. On the right you can see four options for changing the colour of the pointer.Sep 9, 2021

How to change the colour of the mouse pointer in Windows 10
My Computer My Way
https://mcmw.abilitynet.org.uk › how-to-change-the-colo...

Thanks for a very interesting and rewarding session this evening!

Google Meet worked perfectly!

Your presentation was excellent (as always) and your live drawing with Paint was ** very ** helpful in clarifying the behavior of objects in various kinds of ellipse with Earth as one of the foci.

We left the discussion with me understanding that I need a burn at the apogee to extend the perigee, which is right straight out of Lesson 1 of the Course on Basic Orbital Mechanics.

We both have homework ... you are going to be adjusting your orbit calculations spreadsheet to compare the burn-at-apogee-outside-the-circle with the already well known burn-at-apogee-inside-the-circle.  I am going to be adding the launch-from-Earth feature to the Python program, but now I understand I need a burn at either the inside or the outside to achieve circularization with the object in circular orbit.

I have another homework item ... to try to learn how to use the whiteboard.

(th)

#17 2023-10-25 19:54:31

tahanson43206

this post is about Google Whiteboard...

There is good news and bad news ... the feature will be available through December 31, 2024.  It will be transitioned to other providers after it is discontinued. Apparently third party providers have improved their competitive products and left Google behind, or at least not on the cutting edge.

However!  NewMars members will have the rest of 2023, and all of 2024, to learn how to use the tool.

Google Jamboard is winding down

Google Jamboard will no longer be available after December 31, 2024 across Web, iOS, Android, and Google Meet devices. Your Jam data will be available for you to export or migrate to one of our whiteboard partners, like FigJam, Lucidspark, and Miro, until that date.
Why is Jamboard winding down?

Over the past couple of years, we’ve heard from customers that whiteboarding tools like FigJam by Figma, Lucidspark by Lucid, and Miro help them work better together. As these tools have grown more capable, offering advanced features such as an infinite canvas, use case templates, voting, and more, we’ve decided to leverage our partner ecosystem for whiteboarding in Workspace. Our focus is on core content collaboration across Docs, Sheets, and Slides.To that end, in late 2024 we will wind down the Jamboard whiteboarding app and continue with the previously planned end of support for Google Jamboard devices.
What can I use moving forward?

We're working with FigJam by Figma, Lucid Software, and Miro on migration paths for existing Jams so you don't lose your old work. Jamboard users can immediately start taking advantage of the new whiteboard technology on mobile, the web, within Google Meet, and on Series One devices. In addition to deep integration with Google Meet, users can also expect to see these whiteboard tools further incorporated into Google Workspace apps, including Drive, Calendar, and Docs.

Keep in mind that your Jam file may not be 100% editable after migrating to a partner. Please check each partners’ website for details.

Details for FigJam
    Details for Lucid
    Details for Miro

What should I do to prepare for this change? Will I be able to keep my Jam files in Drive?

We encourage all users to download the Jams they would like to keep before December 31, 2024. Learn how to Export your Jams. 

If you want to convert your existing Jams to our partner whiteboarding products, please see the links above in What can I use moving forward?
What happens after the shut down date?

After December 31, 2024, the Jamboard app will be shut down. You will no longer be able to view your Jams, and all Jam data will be permanently deleted. If there are Jams that you wish to keep, we encourage you to use one of our export or migration options. Learn how to Export your Jams. 
What if I own a Jamboard 55 device?

For details, check out Jamboard device end of life information.
What if I own a Series One Desk 27 and Board 65? Will there be another whiteboard app?

The Jamboard application will continue to work on the Series One Desk 27 and Board 65 devices until October 1, 2024. Later this year, we will start to integrate with our whiteboard partners to bring their experiences to these devices.
I am an educator that uses Jamboard, what should I do?

Please check out Prepare for Jamboard to wind down.

(th)

#18 2023-10-25 21:14:08

tahanson43206

This post is about the collaboration between GW Johnson and tahanson43206, to study options for delivery of payload to an orbiting refueling station when the launch device is a ballistic launcher, such as Dr. John Hunter's gas gun or the SpinLaunch rotary device.

The result of the collaboration was a clarification that a burn is required to circularize orbit with either the traditional fly-up-from-below approach, or the drop-down-from-high-apogee approach which I'd been wondering about. What remains to be determined is whether there is any difference in dV between the two approaches.

am29CiW.png

Above: Four studies of elliipses

Below .... Study of "inside" and "outside" docking scenarios...

whAJgur.png

The question that remains unanswered is whether that are any business advantages to the "outside" docking maneuver... the "inside" docking maneuver has been thoroughly studied and is the accepted solution for any ballistic launcher system I've read about.  I asked Dr. Johnson to take a look at the "outside" maneuver to see if it might have any advantages.  It requires more dV to reach the higher apogee, but the dV from a ballistic launcher is not limited the way it is with a traditional rocket system.  The question I am trying to answer is whether there is any business advantage to the higher apogee approach.

In his previous analysis of the "inside" docking maneuver, GW concluded that the window for meeting a "dumb" payload is about two minutes, which is unlikely to be practical.  This scenario featured a space tug that departed the refueling station to meet the arriving "dumb" payload, slow to match velocity, and then accelerate to catch up with the refueling station.

The traditional approach is to allocate part of the ballistic launcher payload to a small solid fuel rocket and some minimal electronics to match orbit with the refueling station itself.

What I am curious to know is if there is any business advantage to launching the payload package to a higher apogee and then performing short burns to extend perigee, and to match orbit precisely with the refueling station when the two are close.

Update next day:
Here is a document that explains the crossings study:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/s5fxvvp8 … m9ov1&dl=0

Here is an updated version of the spreadsheet used for these calculations.  It is an updated relative of the spreadsheet used in the course on Basic Orbital Mechanics:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/gkqxhkjz … pzrsg&dl=0

(th)

#19 2023-10-29 08:16:13

tahanson43206

tahanson43206 wrote:

Today is Zoom Day for NewMars....

We now have multiple options, and I have no idea which (if any) are of interest to members ...

We have the traditional Zoom account, with all the features we've come to expect, except that Mars Society has withdrawn the professional license, so we are limited to 40 minute free sessions.  However, the structure we have created makes restarting a session extremely fast and efficient (if the host is on top of it).

On the other hand, we now have the Google Meeting service available, and it was given a workout by GW Johnson last week.

The advantage of the Google service include:

Any one of the three Admins can host a session (assuming each one has created the foundation link and posted it in Post #1 of the Google Meet topic)

Plus! The sessions are not subject to a time out.

Features include audio alert when someone enters the meeting room, which is helpful for the host.

Audio works!
Video works!
Sharing works!
There is a whiteboard that is available to members who have gmail accounts.

There are probably other features I don't yet know about.

At this point in the day (14:13 UtC) I have NO idea if anyone is interested in any of these possibilities.

I'll reserve a time slot at Midnight UTC in case anyone is interested in any of these options.

Otherwise, I'll hold off on opening anything.

(th)

#20 2023-10-29 17:25:00

tahanson43206

Midnight UTC ....

GW will try to make a Google Meet session, so I'll fire up the Ubuntu system and have it ready.

Click the link in Post #1 of this topic .... You'll arrive in the Waiting room.

Use this topic for communication.

(th)

#21 2023-10-29 18:01:13

tahanson43206

The Waiting Room for Google Meet is set up ....

It's possible GW Johnson will arrive later in the hour ....

In the mean time, any NewMars member who would like to help try out this new service is welcome to click on the link in Post #1 of this topic.

(th)

#22 2023-10-29 19:02:34

tahanson43206

We have another successful meeting with Google Meeting in the record books for NewMars!

We are up from two participants to three.  kbd512 joined the meeting along with GW Johnson.

We experimented with sharing, and all three of us were able to share without difficulty. 

The audio and video seemed about perfect to me ... GW and kbd512 were both able to increase the size of the images they were showing, using different methods.

From my perspective as host, I appreciated the audio alert when guests arrived in the Waiting Room.

We had an interruption when one of the participants went offline, and they were able to recover quickly by just clicking on the link in Post #1 of this topic.

Google has set a limit of 60 minutes for these free meetings, and that is a nice increase from the default of 40 minutes for Zoom.

We can still use the Zoom if necessary, but my impression is that the Google Meeting service is going to work well.

I have some items on my Todo list coming out of the meeting:

1) Dropbox request
2) Email request

I'll attend to both of those tomorrow.

(th)

#23 2023-10-31 14:40:21

tahanson43206

As a follow up to Post #22

Both work request items have been completed.

Results/outcomes will be reported as they come in.

(th)

#24 2023-11-11 16:33:18

tahanson43206

We are returning to Google Meeting for Sunday November 12, 2023

I'm planning to set up the meeting just before 7 PM Houston time to maximize the useful time we'll be given.

Google Meeting is limited to 60 minutes per free session. Corrected time at 19:21 local time. 40 minutes is the time-out for Zoom in free-trial mode.

To reach the meeting room, open the NewMars topic for Google Meeting and look in Post #1 for my link.

I'll have the forum open to that topic, in case anyone would like to reach me.

An agenda item is the (possible) collaboration between Mars Society (ie, us) and National Space Society (ie, North Houston chapter) on make videos around Dr. Johnson's course materials and related publications.

Other agenda items might include:

1) Status of forum software upgrade - I have received nothing from Mars Society
2) Status of database capture
3) kbd512's recent contributions showing comparison of  Carbon Monoxide vs Ch4 as rocket fuel

I bring this up because the capability of a given fuel will have significant impact on GW's design for an all-purpose vehicle for use on Mars.
As I understand the situation, the vessel can ** just ** work with CH4.  I have no idea how a change to CO would affect the design.

Other topics as attendees may request them.

(th)

#25 2023-11-12 07:18:15

tahanson43206

tahanson43206 wrote:

We are returning to Google Meeting for Sunday November 12, 2023

I'm planning to set up the meeting just before 7 PM Houston time to maximize the useful time we'll be given.

Google Meeting is limited to 60 minutes per free session. Corrected time at 19:21 local time. 40 minutes is the time-out for Zoom in free-trial mode.

To reach the meeting room, open the NewMars topic for Google Meeting and look in Post #1 for my link.

I'll have the forum open to that topic, in case anyone would like to reach me.

An agenda item is the (possible) collaboration between Mars Society (ie, us) and National Space Society (ie, North Houston chapter) on make videos around Dr. Johnson's course materials and related publications.

Other agenda items might include:

1) Status of forum software upgrade - I have received nothing from Mars Society
2) Status of database capture
3) kbd512's recent contributions showing comparison of  Carbon Monoxide vs Ch4 as rocket fuel

I bring this up because the capability of a given fuel will have significant impact on GW's design for an all-purpose vehicle for use on Mars.
As I understand the situation, the vessel can ** just ** work with CH4.  I have no idea how a change to CO would affect the design.

Other topics as attendees may request them.

The planned time for this Google Meet remains 19:00 Houston time 20:00 East Coast 1 AM UTC

(th)

Board footer