New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2006-04-28 14:08:26

publiusr
Banned

Re: Outsourcing the VSE and Mars

Sometimes I wonder if everybody in Goddard was required to read the Unabomber Manifesto.

#27 2006-05-29 19:26:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

Companies buck the outsourcing trend; The costs are often far higher, but ‘made in the USA’ brings other benefits

Our labor costs are 10 to 12 times higher at the New Balance factory in this suburb of Boston create the sound of "made in the USA."

We're able to deliver into the market in a matter of days, where our competitors are looking at a matter of weeks and sometimes months."

While it is good to hear these comments about oursourcing and what it does cost some companies it does not change how those managing for increased stock margins and profit making see this issue as just one that always effects the employee.

#28 2006-09-09 20:14:58

Mars_B4_Moon

Problem: The scientists are whining that their "global warming" (bah) detector satelites are getting old and will have to be replaced soon. But, NASA has better things to do.

Solution: Build copies of the fancy sensors and let China fool with them, they could use better planned farming with the help of such satelites anyway.

Gap Proved Fatal For India Geo Launcher Probe
http://www.space-travel.com/Rocket_Science.html
Bangalore (PTI) Sep 07, 2006
A defect in a device meant to regulate propellant flow led to malfunctioning in the fourth strap-on stage, causing the failure of the July 10 GSLV mission that was to put India's heaviest satellite so far into orbit, a report of the 15-member Failure Analysis Committee said.

#29 2006-09-10 04:12:53

SpaceBull

Is NASA's main purpose to subsidize the least competitive American companies, or to do space exploration?

If I want to buy a new car, then I don't care where in the world it comes from. What I care about is price, quality, design and features. The same logic should apply to procurement of space exploration hardware.

It is true that NASA has more space exploration experience then anyone else, but their hardware is essentially flying prototypes. We will sooner or later enter an era where space exploration hardware will have to be mass produced, and NASA and American companies have no more experience in mass production than companies elsewhere in the world. The flat-screen TV was probably not invented in South Korea, but South Korean companies are certainly better at mass-producing them than American companies.

Maybe it is because I am European, but I don't understand why you people think that everything should be developed and made in the US. I am sure that companies in for instance Thailand would be able to improve your prototypes and produce high-quality space hardware for NASA for a lot less than you currently spend. This way you Americans would be able to get more space exploration hardware for less.

A lot of the computer memory chips are produced on Taiwan, and this is good both for the US and the rest of the world. If it still had to be produced in the US then we would essentially still be in the stone age. Where would the US be if we had kept the industrial revolution in Europe?

Technology should be shared for the benefit of all. period.

[url=http://www.newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3941]Martian Settlement 2035?[/url]

#30 2006-10-27 12:55:45

publiusr
Banned

Is NASA's main purpose to subsidize the least competitive American companies, or to do space exploration?

If I want to buy a new car, then I don't care where in the world it comes from.

Well I do. Infrastructure and a good line of Engineering experience is what is most important--and Griffin means to finally stop the LV hemmorage this country has been facing.

Enough outsourcing.

#31 2006-12-13 07:25:16

SpaceNut
Administrator

Looks like they are combing through the contracts to sse if work can be found for those loosing jobs within Nasa.
Science Democrats Track NASA Foreign Contract Reporting

"As we feared, NASA is not able to sufficiently track its subcontracts so we cannot determine what work is being done overseas that might be done in the United States," said Rep. Costello.  "I am very concerned about the lack of data available regarding offshoring and outsourcing.  Without reliable data, we cannot determine to what extent this is a problem or develop proper policy if necessary.

#32 2007-03-01 06:25:44

Mars_B4_Moon

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/33599.html
NASA signs deal with private firm Virgin Galactic

India Wants To Send Man Into Space Ahead Of Further Missions Beyond LEO
"If an Indian has to go to the moon, then that depends on what data we gather from Chandrayaan-1 and possibly another unmanned mission to moon, Chandrayaan-2," he said.
US to reassess China space ties
http//english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/8D6B51DE-BB92-461B-B9E6-2BFE490FE929.htm&cid=0

Problem: The scientists are whining that their "global warming" (bah) detector satelites are getting old and will have to be replaced soon. But, NASA has better things to do.

The Al Gore movie got an Oscar
1506254.jpg

#33 2007-05-08 13:29:25

Mars_B4_Moon

Political Attack from the BlogCritic ?

Bush Guts Critical Science Projects And Outsources NASA Projects To India To Further His Ambitions
http://blogcritics.org/archives/2006/05/21/195004.php

#34 2007-05-25 05:51:26

Mars_B4_Moon

No plans to join NASA lunar program - Russian space agency
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20070525/66087731.html

Space ties with India beneficial: NASA
http://www.financialexpress.com/latest_ … _id=164231
At the same time at least one senior Republican lawmaker has voiced scepticism of going about with cooperation with such countries like China and Pakistan on the grounds that "tyrants and dictatorships" are actually a threat to the values of western civilisation.

American Astronut : 'New Delhi we have a problem'
outsourcebush2905072271ts4.jpg
Automated Arjun-Raj : I'm sorry our call centers are busy, please hold

Board footer