New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#51 2005-08-04 04:27:10

DonPanic
Website

Re: A380 airbus - monster of the skies

LO
Hi Clark
If you "Google Earth" spy, and document on main world great cities airports, you realize that one can gather more than 30000 transiting passengers at the same time among which a 900 passengers stream turns to a detail.

Some points :
- Passengers number argument falls if Airbus A-380 are coomercialized as freightliners.
- In populated areas, you don't create easily a new airport, nor easily extend existing airports without strong population opposition. Ecologists will criticize anyways, local politicians may compete and struggle against projects.
Tokyo New International Airport was built in spite of a ferocious resistance by land owners supported by leftists students demonstrating and rioting.
Strong opposition against Berlin airports extension.
Paris new airport project may have local populace opposition boosted by generally unfavourable public opinion. You can't democratically force population will.
- There is a safety limit in the planes number you can allow to rotate over a large airport as well as in the taking off and landing rythm. Therefore, airport authorities cannot deliver unlimited flight numbers to air transport companies. If so, and if companies face rising traffic, they will have to purchase bigger aircrafts.
These are A-380 main arguments.

Now, to tell the truth about my own opinion, a jumbo makes a choice target, and I would be just very slightly wink  reluctant to travell in such an airplane in todays' terrorist threat, and anyways, I don't like to travel when crowded.

#52 2005-08-04 05:55:02

clark

Hi DonPanic,

I do not dispute your points, or the points made by others. There are good economical and politcal reasons that favor an Airbus design.

However, those arguments are for the airline industry regarding why they should buy the planes.

My point is that from a passanger experience, Airbus will be a nightmare.

Maybe airports can process the numbers, but that does not change the reality of being one person in the middle of 900 other people, all trying to get around each other. That does not change the reality of groups of 900 people all trying to get around the airport.

900 people at a time going through customs, going through multiple baggage checks, going through check in, going through baggage claim, going through a pick up at the airport, going through a flight cancellation and the need to find a hotel.

Flying is already a stressfull endeavour, and Airbus will compound that experience.

Just as an example, when I fly, i get to the airport three hours in advance of my flight (usually a regional flight, five hours if it is international). The airlines suggest that we arive one hour early for regional flights, and three hours early for international.

This is to allow enough time to process everyone and their luggage, and make sure you have time to get to the gate. I go early to beat the crowd that invariably shows up as the airlines suggest.

Now the same experience will be complicated by introducing more people into the system. The airlines will reccomend that we arrive 2-3 hours early for regional flights, and 3-4 hours early for international flights.

Which of course means I will end up having to live in an airport for a day before my flight.  lol

I will not fly on an Airbus, but for entirely different reasons. It just isn't worth it to me to go through what I think will be a bad experience at the airport.

Unless of course we are talking about NY to Paris for like $99. If so, you're cooking me dinner.  big_smile

#53 2005-08-04 06:14:52

DonPanic
Website

Hi DonPanic,
My point is that from a passanger experience, Airbus will be a nightmare.

I will not fly on an Airbus, but for entirely different reasons. It just isn't worth it to me to go through what I think will be a bad experience at the airport.

(...) anyways, I don't like to travel when crowded.

I think we have reached an agreement  big_smile

Unless of course we are talking about NY to Paris for like $99. If so, you're cooking me dinner.  big_smile

Bet ? Bet ! Pari tenu !   wink

#54 2005-08-04 06:27:38

clark

I want the duck.  wink  big_smile

I'll bring some good California wine, show you that we American's have learned a thing or two.

#55 2005-08-04 06:45:26

DonPanic
Website

, show you that we American's have learned a thing or two.

No doubt  wink

#56 2005-08-04 06:51:46

DonPanic
Website

Clark ?
Are you the kind of man wich likes to travel by his own and doesn't like to follow the guide ?

ANARCHIST !    big_smile

#57 2005-08-04 07:39:52

clark

I prefer to think of it as a well developed sense of individualism.  big_smile

What better guide is there than your own curiosity?  wink

#58 2005-08-04 08:20:57

Rxke

What better guide is there than your own curiosity?  wink

the Hitchikers' Guide to the Galaxy?  big_smile

#59 2005-08-04 09:46:27

clark

42.  tongue

#60 2005-09-20 12:29:48

Yang Liwei Rocket

Korean Air has ordered 5 Airbus A380 aircraft, Qantas has placed an order for 12 Airbus A380, 27 freighter versions of the A-380 were sold, ILFC has ordered 5 passenger Airbus A380 aircraft and 5 freighter versions  Thai Airways International has ordered 6 Airbus A380 aircraft. India might soon buy an alternative version of the A380 which would transport almost 900 people

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#61 2005-09-20 18:38:59

evilcitizen

Korean Air has ordered 5 Airbus A380 aircraft, Qantas has placed an order for 12 Airbus A380, 27 freighter versions of the A-380 were sold, ILFC has ordered 5 passenger Airbus A380 aircraft and 5 freighter versions  Thai Airways International has ordered 6 Airbus A380 aircraft. India might soon buy an alternative version of the A380 which would transport almost 900 people

Be careful there, orders do not mean final sales.

I'm sure the first year or two before Boeing's 787 comes out will be fine, but once they're in direct competition we will see which plane the airlines favour. It's a good point made above that A380 could become a freighter though, I think several Asian airlines already have that in mind.

Also, I've noticed that several 787 orders have been cancelled lately because of airlines' financial problems.

#62 2005-09-21 18:08:44

DonPanic
Website

#63 2005-09-21 21:36:19

John Creighton
Website

If being able to meet Kyoto means having to drastically cut airline travel then it is a sign that kayoto is unworkable. Air travel is a vital part of the infrastructure of a nation. Moreover the airline industries are already losing money because of higher fuel prices. Perhaps we just need to bite the bullet and emit the earth is going to get warmer and there isn't much we can do about it.

Dig into the [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/2006/12/political-grab-bag.html]political grab bag[/url] at [url=http://child-civilization.blogspot.com/]Child Civilization[/url]

#64 2005-09-22 09:26:38

DonPanic
Website

LO

If being able to meet Kyoto means having to drastically cut airline travel then it is a sign that kyoto is unworkable. Air travel is a vital part of the infrastructure of a nation. Moreover the airline industries are already losing money because of higher fuel prices. Perhaps we just need to bite the bullet and emit the earth is going to get warmer and there isn't much we can do about it.

I'm amazed to read  from an US citizen  that nothing can change, you're supposed to have among the highest enterprise spirit.
That's so disappointing  :cry:
A pity from a nation pretending on world leadership.
Do you think that rest of the world admit it by your example or your military strength ?
Air transport is not the only transport mean, even if intercontinental air transports are unavoidable.
Magnet trains are an alternative, for instance. That means nuclear power plants up to supply them with electric power.

#65 2005-09-22 09:46:22

Marsman
Website

In Melbourne Australia our major airport has been modified to take the new 380's and we should be seeing our first in October next year-
http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news05/181-Qantas.shtml

welcome to [url=http://www.marsdrive.net]www.marsdrive.net[/url]

#66 2005-09-22 10:12:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

LO

If being able to meet Kyoto means having to drastically cut airline travel then it is a sign that kyoto is unworkable. Air travel is a vital part of the infrastructure of a nation. Moreover the airline industries are already losing money because of higher fuel prices. Perhaps we just need to bite the bullet and emit the earth is going to get warmer and there isn't much we can do about it.

I'm amazed to read  from an US citizen  that nothing can change, you're supposed to have among the highest enterprise spirit.
Do you think that rest of the world admit it by your example or your military strength ?
Air transport is not the only transport mean, even if intercontinental air transports are unavoidable.
Magnet trains are an alternative, for instance. That means nuclear power plants up to supply them with electric power.

I really do not know if John Creighton is right or wrong with regards to air flight as being only propelled in its current means.

Has anyone looked at solar or fuel cell powered aircraft and I would assume that most would not be in favor of nuclear?

As for national of John, just view his profile. While he is on the same continent it is still canada not the US. So should I say welcome to the US John or am I now a fellow  canadian.... lol

#67 2006-01-03 05:53:32

Yang Liwei Rocket

Airbus A380, the mammoth new European jetliner, promises to boost international visitorship to the Las Vegas Valley. The travelers will arrive via the future Ivanpah Airport, to be located 30 miles southwest of Las Vegas.
http://www.lvbusinesspress.com/articles … news04.txt
The new $4 billion facility will, however, need reinforced runways, wider taxiways and high capacity gates in order to accommodate the 853-seat, eight-story-tall mega-plane.

UPS signs firm contract for 10 Airbus A380 freighters
http://www.luchtzak.be/article10731.html
Following a commitment announced in January 2005, Atlanta, Georgia-based UPS has formally signed the contract for 10 Airbus A380 freighter aircraft.

San Bernardino Airport Runway Can Accomodate Airbus A380
http://www.airportbusiness.com/article/ … eSection=4
The nearly $37 million project elevates SBIA to one of a few in California designed to accommodate the world's largest commercial aircraft, the 1.3 million-pound Airbus A380.

#68 2006-01-03 20:01:24

Commodore

Europe can't fulfill Kyoto either.

The climate will change, with or without our help. We need to get off our high horse and admit that we may have to adapt just like every other speices in the history of the planet.

Why the process of converting our infrastructure to something other than fossil fuels isn't considered a strategic requirement of the upmost importance is beyond me. But one thing is certain, untill the day we don't need a drop of oil, it will have to be cheap to afford not only the operation and upkeep of the current infrastructure, but the creation of a new one at the same time.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#69 2006-03-04 14:32:51

Yang Liwei Rocket

#70 2006-03-04 16:37:43

Rxke

An awesome sight indeed..

#71 2006-03-19 23:51:54

EuroLauncher

In Melbourne Australia our major airport has been modified to take the new 380's and we should be seeing our first in October next year-
http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news05/181-Qantas.shtml

That should be great !

#72 2006-04-03 15:42:48

Mars_B4_Moon

Do you know that new NASA Mars conquest plans are begining to be seen in Europe as an evidence that the US administration admits that Earth is lost and that Mars is seen by many Americans as the new fronteer to escape from an agonizing Earth ?

Even Mars ain't a safe bet, the Chinese could beat America to the new frontier

#73 2006-08-23 19:25:52

dicktice

At this late date, I can't help but think what a target for terrorists this great big new transport airplane represents. Damn those creeps--who have no respect for the achievement of passenger flight. But then, they expect to go to heaven, so wh would they care....

#74 2006-08-24 00:07:19

Rxke

My sister went to a holiday to Carcasonne, close to where they do the testflights, and saw it flying regularly, very low; she's no aeroplane enthousiast but she said she was very impressed by it, it looked almost science-fictionesque...

#75 2007-03-18 17:50:44

SpaceNut
Administrator

Airbus A380 to make 1st trip with full load of passengers to North America possibly more than 500 passengers.

airbusx.jpg

For Airbus, which has been beset by management and financial crises including a two-year delay to the A380 that wiped more than $6.61 billion off profit forecasts

AIRBUS A380

Length: 239 feet, 3 inches
Wingspan: 261 feet, 8 inches
Height: 79 feet, 7 inches
Takeoff Weight: 617.3 U.S. tons
Passengers: The Lufthansa flight has room for 549 passengers in first, business and economy class with 23 cabin crew and five flight crew.
Range: 8,000 nautical miles
Fuel Capacity: 81,890 gallons
Cruising speed: 560 mph
Engines: Four Trent 900 or GP 7000 jet engines with combined thrust of 70,000 pounds.

Board footer