New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-04-21 11:06:50

Bill White

Re: Zero Gee Sports - Ideas?

I wish to propose an idea for zero-gee sports.

Start with a shuttle external tank permanently attached to a space hotel launched via a shuttle derived booster. Just bolt the tank securely to the uncrewed cargo before launch - in other words, no explosive bolts. Remaining portions of the payload fairing can be disposed, just not the attachments between the shuttle C payload and the tank.

Place in LEO.

Empty the tank. Space Island Group has been fantasizing about this for decades. This may be harder done than said, but there you go. Empty the tank.

Line the interior with TransHab fabric using the ET tank to provide structural stability and attachment points. The fuel and O2 is contained in inner tanks, correct? Therefore hardware to assist layering the interior with TransHab fabric could be installed at Michoud during tank construction.

Pressurize this interior space.

The objective? An interior space of at least 20 - 25 feet in diameter (ET is 27 feet in diameter, correct?) and 80 to 100 feet long. (ET is 150 feet tall, correct?)

Then install two goals and play a game that is a cross between basketball and hockey and soccer (football to all non-USians). At opposite end of the tank affix two goals with Wi-Fi microchip sensors and play with a ball that has Wi-Fi chips embedded in it.

(Add 4 or 8 micro-cams in the ball itself for a "ball-eye's" view of the play.)

Play two on two LEO-ball.

Collect $$ from Nike, Adidas etc. . .

Invigorate Earth to LEO space flight.

Be happy. big_smile

#2 2004-04-21 11:11:57

clark

I always liked the space game they played in Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card).

Two opposing teams inside a zero-g room, with various boxes and such to hide behind (sometimes there was nothing). They had flash-guns that would freeze up your suit if you were hit (to make it like you were dead). The winner was the team that touched the opposing sides four squares (a square was located at each corner of the opposing teams entry door).

#3 2004-04-21 11:21:34

Palomar

*...listen as human rights advocates raise the issue of sweatshop labor (Nike especially)...

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2004-04-21 11:40:37

Byron

I wish to propose an idea for zero-gee sports.

Start with a shuttle external tank permanently attached to a space hotel launched via a shuttle derived booster. Just bolt the tank securely to the uncrewed cargo before launch - in other words, no explosive bolts. Remaining portions of the payload fairing can be disposed, just not the attachments between the shuttle C payload and the tank.

Place in LEO.

Empty the tank. Space Island Group has been fantasizing about this for decades. This may be harder done than said, but there you go. Empty the tank.

Line the interior with TransHab fabric using the ET tank to provide structural stability and attachment points. The fuel and O2 is contained in inner tanks, correct? Therefore hardware to assist layering the interior with TransHab fabric could be installed at Michoud during tank construction.

Pressurize this interior space.

The objective? An interior space of at least 20 - 25 feet in diameter (ET is 27 feet in diameter, correct?) and 80 to 100 feet long. (ET is 150 feet tall, correct?)

Then install two goals and play a game that is a cross between basketball and hockey and soccer (football to all non-USians). At opposite end of the tank affix two goals with Wi-Fi microchip sensors and play with a ball that has Wi-Fi chips embedded in it.

(Add 4 or 8 micro-cams in the ball itself for a "ball-eye's" view of the play.)

Play two on two LEO-ball.

Invigorate Earth to LEO space flight.

Be happy. big_smile

Great idea, Bill.   smile  Indeed, the opportunity to experience zero-gee is the main draw of space tourism (as opposed to merely enjoying the pretty view out the window.)  But the cool thing would be the possibily of hosting a "Space Olympics", in which some of the world's leading athletes could go at it in the zero-gee hab, with millions watching it all on TV back on terra firma.

Just imagine the dollar signs rolling in from a venture like this.... big_smile

B

#5 2004-04-21 14:14:20

RobS
Banned
Website

I always envisioned a volleyball-like game in a cylindrical tank with a doughnut-shaped net, with the hole in the middle. You could spike the ball against all the sides of the cylinder or the end of the tank to win a point.

-- RobS

#6 2004-04-21 14:22:35

clark

I wonder if a game of Red Rover, Red Rover would work...

The game, the terrestrial version involves forming chains of people on opposing sides. Each side gets a turn to choose a certain person on the opposing side over to them, the catch is, that this person is supposed to run as fast as they can to break the chain on the other side (the team that called them over). If the person running towards the other side fails to break the chain, they are either out, or join the other sides team. I'll admit, I forgot what happens if you are successful... haven't played this game since I was ingrade school. big_smile

Perhaps a similar game could be played, except the people are launched by their team-mates. Handholds on each side of the tank would provide the anchors (you lose if the anchors lose their grip!).

#7 2004-04-21 14:40:47

Bill White

I wonder if a game of Red Rover, Red Rover would work...

The game, the terrestrial version involves forming chains of people on opposing sides. Each side gets a turn to choose a certain person on the opposing side over to them, the catch is, that this person is supposed to run as fast as they can to break the chain on the other side (the team that called them over). If the person running towards the other side fails to break the chain, they are either out, or join the other sides team. I'll admit, I forgot what happens if you are successful... haven't played this game since I was ingrade school. big_smile

Perhaps a similar game could be played, except the people are launched by their team-mates. Handholds on each side of the tank would provide the anchors (you lose if the anchors lose their grip!).

Dude!

If you break through, you get to pick one (or sometimes both) of the people who formed the link you broke.

That was the catch. If a strong athletic type was holding hands with a weakling, send your strongest runner through there and bring back the more athletic as a prize. (When we played, if you liked a girl on the other team you always let go when your link was hit. . .)

= = =

Edit - - in a shuttle ET with a 20 foot (or more) diameter - - do you form a web involving arms and legs?

= = =

#2 See! A space hotel with today's launch technology is very commercially viable. Today!

#8 2004-04-21 14:44:43

clark

D'ah! Of course.  :laugh:

The way I played it though, the opposing side got to choose who ran towards them... "Red Rover, Red Rover, send Bill on over!"

Then it was up the person running to try and figure out where to break through.

Another thought... zero-g tug of war???

#9 2004-04-21 14:48:24

Bill White

D'ah! Of course.  :laugh:

The way I played it though, the opposing side got to choose who ran towards them... "Red Rover, Red Rover, send Bill on over!"

Then it was up the person running to try and figure out where to break through.

Another thought... zero-g tug of war???

Yup!

Do you call the strong fellow hoping to capture them or the weaker one knowing you could stop them.

Knowing who liked who also helped decide who to call.

How much would a week of such games amongst movie stars and sports heroes garner in broadcast revenue?

= = =

Hmmm. . .  I sense a short story coming on.

More seriously, how about a NewMars anthology of zerogee sports stories. We have a stable of writers here, how about we all put in one story and publish the anthology?

#10 2004-04-21 14:51:29

clark

Hmmm... by publish, you mean put it on the newmars front page?

I'm game.  big_smile

#11 2004-04-21 17:57:24

dicktice

My preference would be simply one-on-one "eagle duals" using flapping-wing suits, helmets and face-masks. But for your team-sport proposals, hypothetical zero-gee games must all be capable of computer simulations, being ballistic, so what about some of you who know how to do that--do it?

#12 2004-04-21 19:10:13

Palomar

*Arm wrestling.

Yeah, I'm serious.

Bring it on, Governor Ah-nuld!

--Cindy  :laugh:

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#13 2004-04-21 20:00:33

Bill White

*Arm wrestling.

Yeah, I'm serious.

Bring it on, Governor Ah-nuld!

--Cindy  :laugh:

First guy to spin the other guy 180 degrees?

#14 2004-04-21 23:37:50

Hazer

How about this:  You have a large circular goal at either end of the ET.  Each team is comprised of three players, one of which is a goalie.  Line the playing field with velcro fiber.  However, place inflatable hand-holds in a random pattern around the inside of the velcro. 
Have a computer inflate and deflate these hand-holds randomly, but at regular intervals.

Players are not allowed to grapple or hit with clenched fists, using open palms they must hit, kick, head, and whatever-part-of-the-body-you-can-strike-a-ball-with to place the ball in the opposing team's goal.

In the interests of my species
I am a firm supporter of stepping out into this great universe both armed and dangerous.

Bootprints in red dust, or bust!

#15 2004-04-23 14:28:11

Palomar

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s … 1804]Libby 28

*Maybe not a good idea for Marsian pets. 

--Cindy

#16 2004-04-23 18:19:12

DonPanic
Website

LO
Having ZeroG sex must be great  tongue

#17 2004-04-23 19:48:34

RobS
Banned
Website

Actually, I suspect it would be really tricky; gravity helps keep people together and gives them leverage in ways they aren't even aware of. It may be that zero gravity sex is extreme frustrating and inconvenient.

-- RobS

#18 2004-04-23 19:51:54

Bill White

Actually, I suspect it would be really tricky; gravity helps keep people together and gives them leverage in ways they aren't even aware of. It may be that zero gravity sex is extreme frustrating and inconvenient.

-- RobS

I have notes for a short story based on a space hotel honeymoon. At a bridal shower, the bride to be unwraps a present that contains what looks like a rock climbing harness, except its all covered with lace and has loops for four legs.

#19 2004-04-23 22:04:29

Earthfirst

Zero G loving ant fun, it is scary. Some people on the space station try it out and things got messes. It toke a week to clean off the spunk, and they spune around in circles. The other crew members had a hard time wacthing it was like sranpled pron on HBO.
A better sport would be cock fighting, with there wing they could easly move around and fight, but all that blood foalting around in sphere would be starnge

I love plants!

#20 2004-04-24 10:11:50

DonPanic
Website

LO

Zero G loving ant fun, it is scary.

No sense of fun, sure they didn'nt have a kinda 3D trempoline surrounding the lovemakers  ???

#21 2004-04-24 14:09:48

clark

Zero gee ping pong?

If all else fails, strip poker. I guess that would work with some of the other sports mentioned.  big_smile

Twister in a zero g environment? Hmmm..

Board footer