New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2024-04-25 08:35:44

tahanson43206

FluxBB Clone Bug Reports 40.75.112.55/forums/FluxBB/index.php

The FluxBB package from 2021 (Version 1.5.11) was updated by kbd512 to run on modern PHP and with modern MySQL.

I am proposing the version of the updated package be set to 1.5.12, to clearly identify the new version as distinct from 1.5.11.

In addition to kbd512's foundation which is already working, there are some left over problems/issues to be identified and corrected.

This topic is created to help with communication from our members to the Admins.

The software is running but issues or problems will show up for some time, as members exercise the package.

Update: If the decision is made to install the updated FluxBB system at the Mars Society, the process could be carried out over a period of time instead of all at once.

The individual components of the system (php files) can be replaced at the rate of one a day for as long as needed.

The only change needed to the database is to the config table at the same time as the version to 1.5.12 is updated in the config.php file.

Those two fields have to match, so must be updated simultaneously. 

As far as i know right now (2024/04/25) the rest of the php files can be swapped at will.

Note: the cache folder needs to be cleared at the same time as the version is updated, because otherwise the cached config will be pulled instead of the new one.

(th)

#2 2024-04-25 08:36:13

tahanson43206

Re: FluxBB Clone Bug Reports 40.75.112.55/forums/FluxBB/index.php

This post is reserved for an index to issues that our members will be finding and reporting ...

Post #3: forums not showing up in search
Post #4: Warning in core.php

(th)

#3 2024-04-25 08:38:54

tahanson43206

Bug report 2024/04/25 ...

In Search, the forums are NOT showing up in a drop down box as they should be doing

To see the problem, start a search.

The forums should appear in a menu at Select where to search.

Symptom: the forum names are missing.

(th)

#4 2024-04-25 08:53:21

tahanson43206

In post.php ...

After Submit, a warning message flashes on the screen for a moment...

The location is mbstring and the line is 125 of core.php

This warning had been identified previously but it is now added to the Bug Reports

All members who help to shake loose any remaining problems with the clone are welcome to use this topic to report them.

If a warning flashes on the screen, I have found that by executing the command over and over again, it is possible to identify two things we need;

The line number at the far right of the message, and the php file next to it on the left of the number.

Update at 16:29 local time. Inteliphense found a deprecated function call in core.php, and ChatGPT4 suggested a replacement.

Inteliphense was (is) happy with the replacement.  I will now test updates to see if we have eliminated the warning in core.php.

(th)

#5 2024-04-25 16:58:54

SpaceNut
Administrator

Actually, had we split out the flux content out of the topic Azure Test Environment for Software upgrades
Which has many of the changes for a new setup even on the Mars Society server.

#6 2024-04-25 17:21:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

The post error was in the clone has core.php line 125...

its has 2 files located in the fluxbb/include/utf8/

Search files for newmars page and for the clone will be in your in box shortly.

#7 2024-04-25 19:37:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #6

The problem at line 125 has been corrected in both my PC and the Azure clone. Posts no longer trigger that null warning.

I've started work on the missing forums for Searches ... the problem is NOT in search.php. It is in cache.php.  However,before I can work on the missing forum names, I need to solve a problem that Inteliphense found, and so far the solutions ChatGPT4 offered have not worked.

I'm closing up shop for tonight, and will resume this weekend. Friday is booked.

Best wishes to you for a successful Friday and an enjoyable, productive weekend.

(th)

#8 2024-04-26 06:41:07

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re difference reports at NewMarsMember email!

Thanks for collecting and sending the two search files.

I've forwarded them to the development machine to study!  They are timely because I just started working on search.php.

There appears to be a problem upstream at cache.php. The names of of the forums are not being collected there.

I appreciate seeing the search html files to compare.

(th)

#9 2024-04-26 10:16:43

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...thanks again for the comparison of Search on the clone and the NewMars forums.

I have a program "MELD" that is available for both Windows and Linux (and probably Mac) ... it ** really ** shows the differences!

The entire topic names division is missing from the clone!

That display sure matches up with what we observe at run time, because the Topics list is empty.

However, I expect your contribution to really help with problem diagnosis.

(th)

#10 2024-04-26 13:15:51

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

ChatGPT4 and I spent a lot of time investigating the failure we are seeing (to show forums in the search page).  After looking at several php files that feed into Search, we settled on a single query that appears to be failing. I've given that query to kbd512 to study.

I don't know enough about complex joins to be able to decode the failure. It ** looks ** to me as though this query could never have worked. The code is from the github version of FluxBB 1.5.11 of 2012. It is clear that the code we have running in the NewMars forum **does** work.

My reading (from a place of uncertainty) is that the query is calling for columns that do not exist in the categories table, so I'm hoping kbd512 will be able to clarify the situation.

This is the only major bug that I know about, but there may be others we haven't found.

(th)

#11 2024-04-26 15:31:15

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

After taking a break for some chores, I'm back thinking about that complex query with all the joins and where clauses and other functionality that is kbd512's bread and butter.  I have no doubt that kbd512 is going to solve this puzzle in about three minutes, with time for a coffee break.

I'd like to invite you to join with me to see if we can solve this before kbd512 does.

I'll put the query up here (when I change back to the development PC) so you can study it with me over the weekend.

(th)

#12 2024-04-26 17:23:06

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

Here is the query that seems to not be delivering data...

It is located at line 799 of search.php

result = $db->query('SELECT c.id AS cid, c.cat_name, f.id AS fid, f.forum_name, f.redirect_url FROM '.$db->prefix.'categories AS c INNER JOIN '.$db->prefix.'forums AS f ON c.id=f.cat_id LEFT JOIN '.$db->prefix.'forum_perms AS fp ON (fp.forum_id=f.id AND fp.group_id='.$pun_user['g_id'].') WHERE (fp.read_forum IS NULL OR fp.read_forum=1) AND f.redirect_url IS NULL ORDER BY c.disp_position, c.id, f.disp_position', true) or error('Unable to fetch category/forum list', __FILE__, __LINE__, $db->error());

I suspect the cause of the problem is an incorrect value in one or more tables...

During the lengthy process of restoring the NewMars database from a backup provided by kbd512 in 2023, I ran into difficulties caused by the default dumb utility that MySql provided at the time.  In order to load the data correctly, I loaded zeros into certain tables, and we already know that at least one of those caused a failure that was resolved by returning the table column to nulls.  We may have a similar situation here.

Update ... the clone forums are showing up. The problem was indeed caused by an error during restoration of the database from the backup. In this case, the field had  been set to '' instead of null. As soon as the column was changed back to null, the topics showed up.

Let's keep looking for more bugs !!! We're making progress.

PS ... I have your report of the warnings when you were doing Admin things. I'll work on that tomorrow.

(th)

#13 2024-04-26 18:20:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

I am stilltrolling for the version of fluxbb that is not on github and came across a Vulnerability Fluxbb : Security Vulnerabilities
it's good that we are going through the code and fixing it so that we are going to be stable.

How to Install FluxBB with Apache on Ubuntu Linux

This looks like a clean copy of all of the files
https://ia802306.us.archive.org/view_ar … 1.5.11.zip

update Horay its fixed

just checked to see if there are any more errors for topic creation and it seems that they are now gone.
we still have this naggfing line at the bottom of the web page.

[ Generated in 0.019 seconds, 8 queries executed - Memory usage: 562.66 KiB (Peak: 566.33 KiB) ]

#14 2024-04-26 20:15:49

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #13

Thanks for confirming the Forum names showed up for you in Search!

Thanks too, for the reminder there is a remnant of the queries still showing up.  I'll add that to the Todo list.

The first item on the list for tomorrow is the messages you got when your were doing Admin things.

Homework request ... Please take a moment to create a new Category.  If we decide to keep the FluxBB system (as updated by kbd512) I'd like to be able to offer our members new categories.  The first would be Large Ship.  That would elevate Large Ship from a topic among thousands of topics, to a top level activity of the forum, with the capability to create topics for all the aspects of the project that need to be addressed.

If you ** do ** create a new Category, please be sure you are in the clone, so if you make a mistake no harm will be done.

(th)

#15 2024-04-26 20:31:34

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

Re warning message you saw in clone when creating a new topic ...

I did not see anything... I wonder if the database fix that corrected the search problem might have fixed the problem you saw as well.

The correction was applied to the forums table.  It seems reasonable that the forums table would be at least checked when a new topic is created, because the new topic has to reside within a forum.

The problem was that I had inserted the incorrect value into a column in the forums table at database restore time.

If we decide to update FluxBB with clone, we won't have to change the database, so everything should just work.

(th)

#16 2024-04-27 06:49:38

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re clone ...

The search feature does not seem to be working ...

The Forum names are now appearing, thanks to change of one column in the forums table.

However, no search seems to produce results. I don't know if the search is not working, or if the display of results is not working.

I'll add this to the bug list.

The forum seems to be working normally except for lingering problems with search.

However, every NewMars member is invited and encouraged to login and beat up on the test system.  kbd512 launched this initiative in November of 2023, and SpaceNut, kbd512 and I have been chipping away at the problem ever since.  The problem was (and remains) to bring 2024 software forward to 2024, so it can be installed at the Mars Society Dreamhost servers.

As you test, please report any problems here, in ** this ** topic. Please try to capture any text that you can, but at least try to record where you were and what you were doing when you experienced a problem.

On the other hand, if things seem to be working correctly, that is good news as well.

Above all, please remember that the clone is a TEST database/forum, and nothing will be saved once the test system has completed it's work.

http://40.75.112.55/forums/FluxBB/index.php

(th)

#17 2024-04-27 08:10:14

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Search feature in clone ...

I just tested the Search feature using nothing but the Author field, and it found 46 pages of results.

That would seem to indicate the author search function is working.

In the first attempt I left all the defaults in place ... Now I'll try just Search in just Topics ...

The result was the same 46 pages ... That makes sense, since the first test included topics

I'll try messages only ... ok ... the same 46 pages showed up

Now I'll refine the search by Category ...

Meta New Mars ... 3 pages
Mars Society 1 page
Mars Analog Research Stations 1 page
New Mars Articles 1 item

This brief exercise seems to indicate the author and forum checklist functions are working

The problem to solve may be limited to keyword search

I tried collaboration and it failed. 

That part of the search system would appear to be where to look.

Because our last problem with Search was resolved by correcting a column in the forums table, I'm hoping we'll find something similar going on in word search.

(th)

#18 2024-04-27 09:10:47

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re learning how to create a new category in clone ...

tahanson43206 wrote:

Homework assignment #1 for SpaceNut

Working in the clone ...

Please create a new Category for RobertDyck's Large Ship. The new category would be Projects.

It would be at the same level as Meta New Mars.

The first forum would be Large Ship.

Once the new forum is created, RobertDyck can populate it with topics as needed.

This will be a forum dedicated to the achievement of the design, funding, construction, deployment and successful operation of Large Ship.

This new forum will start with a solid foundation of  two plus years of work by RobertDyck and friends in the original NewMars forum.

Please document your experiences as you create the new Category, since you and kbd512 are the only members who can experience the process.

(th)

#19 2024-04-27 11:52:06

tahanson43206

While investigating Search issues, I got this error...

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: mysqli_result object is already closed in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/include/dblayer/mysqli.php:188 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/include/dblayer/mysqli.php(188): mysqli_free_result() #1 /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/footer.php(162): MysqlDBLayer->close() #2 /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/include/functions.php(958): require('...') #3 /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/search.php(312): message() #4 {main} thrown in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/include/dblayer/mysqli.php on line 188

I was running on the Clone, and entered phoenix into the keyword window, and selected topics for the location to look.

Here is the URL:
http://40.75.112.55/forums/FluxBB/searc … rch=Submit

(tth)

#20 2024-04-27 11:57:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

I wanted to change your user on the clone and here is the steps

Admininistration
Admin menu
user group give an error

This page isn’t working right now

Also user name change to groups is missing the admin drop done

When I get my name of kbd512 and selected the error is

Info
For security reasons, you are not allowed to move multiple administrators to another group.
If you want to move these administrators, you can do so on their respective user profiles.

Was able to create a Category, a forum under it and post a topic

Was able to create the sub forum and a topic was moved to that category and subforum.

#21 2024-04-27 12:06:48

SpaceNut
Administrator

I initially tried to find a ban search but that table of users did not get loaded on the clone so I then went in and did set a ban on a user and could see it correctly in the user information.

I also tested the save message for the users and it work as it shows in yours that if the admin functions worked to change group my desire to upgrade TH to an Admin..

I believe its looking for topics that have had a post made in it for a topic that was loaded as I did a check against the house keeping and it saw the word Admin

Index» Search» Topics with posts containing 'admin'
Pages:1
Search results
Topic    Forum    Replies    Last post
Housekeeping by tahanson43206 [ 1 2 3 … 126 ]
Meta New Mars    3,149    Today 07:14:47 by tahanson43206
Pages:1

Admin usergroup still does not function
http://40.75.112.55/forums/FluxBB/admin_groups.php

#22 2024-04-27 12:30:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

I was able to do this, but I have forgotten how to add the moderator functions to them.

#23 2024-04-27 12:35:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #21 and above...

Thanks for beating on the clone! 

I've been looking at the admin_options php file.  You provided a printout showing warnings about 'undefined array keys' ....

These admin pages are pretty involved ...

Thanks for the good news that the bans feature appears to work.

I could use some good news!

Next time you hit a snag, please be sure to tell me which php file has the fault.

I'm looking at admin_options.php right now, and Inteliphense things is is free of faults that it knows about.

As I've indicated earlier, the problems we are seeing may be due to errors during database restore.

Unfortunately, errors of ** that ** kind are subtle and do not show up in debugging, since the PHP code assumes the database is correct.

(th)

#24 2024-04-27 12:39:37

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

I started running the Admin php files through Inteliphense, and it found a bug in admin_forums.php

Oh good!  Inteliphense found 5 errors in admin_groups.php

No other Inteliphense errors were found,,, that's a relief.

(th)

#25 2024-04-27 12:40:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

in the clone I am missing the admin drop down and the ability for adding groups.
that should be part of this table.
fluxbb_groups_202311121531

Board footer