New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#126 2024-04-24 17:07:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Azure Test Environment for Software upgrades

I see that you were able or it finally took some of my changes to the admin options form that save the fluxbb sites addres.

I did go into this again tonight to change the annoument for registration to open it up on the phpbbs test flux site.

here is whaat I got upon the savfe or submit

Warning: Undefined array key "webmaster_email" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 71

Warning: Undefined array key "forum_subscriptions" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 72

Warning: Undefined array key "topic_subscriptions" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 73

Warning: Undefined array key "smtp_host" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 74

Warning: Undefined array key "smtp_user" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 75

Warning: Undefined array key "smtp_ssl" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 76

Warning: Undefined array key "regs_allow" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 77

Warning: Undefined array key "regs_verify" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 78

Warning: Undefined array key "regs_report" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 79

Warning: Undefined array key "rules" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 80

Warning: Undefined array key "rules_message" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 81

Warning: Undefined array key "default_email_setting" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 82

Warning: Undefined array key "announcement" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 83

Warning: Undefined array key "announcement_message" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 84

Warning: Undefined array key "maintenance" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 85

Warning: Undefined array key "maintenance_message" in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/admin_options.php on line 86

above the newmars header loogo.

#127 2024-04-24 18:57:06

SpaceNut
Administrator

After a refresh to restart the main page the Announcement was up data on the flux site.

Tried to change the Admin user group but I am getting this error

40.75.112.55 can't currently handle this request.

It must be due to the hard force of the tables that made changes to the options of the site and emails.

The table that contains the fluxbb_users_202311121622 has the flag for the user group assigned with in it change the 2 to a 1 and reload to make you a board admin

#128 2024-04-24 19:13:14

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... re #127 ... thanks for reporting this result!

Thanks for reporting this surprise!

I'll add it to the work list.

FYI ... I wrote to kbd512 in hopes he might be able to change the Registration message.

He's super busy with a demanding job and family, so it might be a while.

Thanks again for trying!

(th)

#129 2024-04-24 19:18:13

SpaceNut
Administrator

I did see an error before it refreshed the web page after making a post within your new member topic registering but it went away.

#130 2024-04-24 19:28:22

tahanson43206

Hi SpaceNut!

Thanks for this additional report! I know of an error in core.php that flashes just like that.  I'll try to get that cleaned up tomorrow.

We have a surprising amount of the forum working, but these remaining defects are going to take a bit more work.

FYI ... if you run into another flashing report like that, you can catch the line number of the error and the php file, by repeating the command that causes it.  I had to repeat about 10 times before I caught "core.php" and whatever the line number was. If you can repeat the command, you might be able to figure out where it's coming from. I don't need the text of the message. Inteliphense is able to tell me what is wrong if we can point it at the failing php file.

(th)

#131 2024-04-24 20:17:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

I also made a few posts, and the forums home page is counting the posts which was good to see.

it appeared to be line 125 but I am not able to stop it....

topic counter is also working.

#132 2024-04-24 20:25:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #131

Thanks for the hint the problem you are seeing might be on line 125 ... It may be a warning of deprecated php code.  Or it could be more serious.  Please keep trying to catch the php file name to go with the 125...

I just logged into the work station to begin preparing for more cleanup ... it is to late for much ... I'll resume tomorrow.

I'm here to post an article about poverty ... the essence of the article is that wealth accumulation is normally a multi-generation process, and the author reports on several efforts to encourage the process.  There is no quick fix, unless a person wins the lottery, and apparently even then, lack of long training in the needed skills insures the instant wealth is soon gone.

(th)

#133 2024-04-24 20:50:08

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... I think I know how to turn off the queries.

The solution worked in the development PC, so I'll try it on Azure.

Update ... the queries are gone from Azure as well. The documentation in the config.php file was wrong.

The logic changed and no one went back to correct the documentation.  That's not uncommon in IT.

(th)

#134 2024-04-24 21:46:43

tahanson43206

More updates for SpaceNut ...

The MySQL server went down while I was working on it this evening. ChatGPT4 figured out that I don't have enough memory in my Azure partition ... it is only 1 Gb, and I have 8 Gb in the development PC, so I never see an Out of Memory condition.

The MySQL server restarted and it is running now. The log shows it has stopped many times over the past month ... over 70 times at last count. That explains the Missing Database error messages we've been seeing.

I updated the Register message... Click on the Register button and you'll see.

That is the message I'm hoping kbd512 will have time to create for our production forum.

I'll work on more deprecated code messages tomorrow.

(th)

#135 2024-04-25 11:22:18

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Azure test account ....

Here is a report on usage to date and prediction for the rest of April:

ACTUAL COST (USD)
$9.83
FORECAST: CHART VIEW ON
$12.11

I looked at the invoice display to try to get a sense of what charges our present activity has incurred.

The question of how to add RAM to the Virtual Machine remains unanswered ... The Azure system is designed for multi-national corporations and for entities such as the US Department of Defense.  It is somewhat daunting to deal with configuration when operating at our present level.

(th)

#136 2024-04-28 06:38:13

NewMarsMember

Microsoft is offering learning opportunities if anyone in the NewMars audience is interested...

We have a live Azure demo working now, and you have a live Azure users to talk to, if you are interested ...

Here is a screen scrape of a list of learning opportunities...

Popular learning paths and modules
MODULE

Fundamentals of Responsible Generative AI
50 min
Azure
AI Engineer
Intermediate
MODULE

Describe cloud service types
12 min
Azure
Administrator
Beginner
MODULE

Fundamentals of Azure AI services
36 min
Azure
AI Engineer
Beginner
MODULE

Describe the benefits of using cloud services
17 min
Azure
Administrator
Beginner
MODULE

Fundamentals of optical character recognition
27 min
Azure
AI Engineer
Beginner
MODULE

Fundamentals of Facial Recognition
27 min
Azure
AI Engineer
Beginner
MODULE

Fundamentals of question answering with the Language Service
29 min
Azure
AI Engineer
Beginner
COURSE

Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals
1 Day
Azure
AI Engineer
Beginner
MODULE

Fundamentals of conversational language understanding
42 min
Azure
AI Engineer
Intermediate
COMPLETED
See what others are learning

(th)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#137 2024-04-28 08:42:18

SpaceNut
Administrator

That change seems to have worked as the table of profiles that are possible is present will now change you to admin in your profile on the clone so you can see what I see.
Since I do not have web master or site admin I am not able to get to the actual files that are the backbone to the forums. So, I am rallying on all of the source code sights and web browsers development tools to be able to see the code.

Apparently, I was already able to make that change in the username profile even while it was broken.

I will look at the other functions later.

#138 2024-04-29 06:32:18

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

This is inside baseball, so this post is just FYI...

The Azure account was not responding this morning... I looked at the account using the Microsoft Azure login, and found status as "Not Ready".  The diagnostic tool was unable to find a problem.  I decided to stop the virtual machne and restart it. The process took a minute or two, indicated by "deallocating". I then clicked "Start" and the status is shown as "running".

The site is back up!  However, MySQL was not up (to begin with) and I got this ugly error:

AISE objected to the original text .... I figure that makes sense since there are (or were) file directories ...

Fatal error: Uncaught mysqli_sql_exception: No such file or directory in (removed paths) config.php on line 23

Refresh corrected the issue with MySQL and the site responded.

(th)

#139 2024-04-29 06:57:55

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

Here is a report from the Azure control panel for the recent outage:

Start Virtual Machine
Succeeded
18 minutes ago
Mon Apr 29 2024 08:32:11 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Azure subscription 1
newmarsmember@gmail.com
Deallocate Virtual Machine
Succeeded
20 minutes ago
Mon Apr 29 2024 08:30:00 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Azure subscription 1
newmarsmember@gmail.com
Health Event Activated
Active
23 minutes ago
Mon Apr 29 2024 08:27:28 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Azure subscription 1
Install OS update patches on virtual machine
Failed
6 hours ago
Mon Apr 29 2024 03:08:23 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)
Azure subscription 1

I suspect I am trying to run with insufficient ram ... the allocation is 1 Gb.  MySQL takes half of that just for a minimal operation.

Update ... for SpaceNut ... if you are interested, here is a conversation with Gemini about how to increase the size of the Virtual Machine.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JV- … sp=sharing

(th)

#140 2024-04-30 07:18:13

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Azure pricing...

I ventured into the Size section of the Azure portal today...

The two rows of the options table that are most pertinent to our situation are:

This is the next level up:
B2s
General purpose
4 RAM
8 (SCSI)
Supported
$30.37

Below is where we are now:
B1s
(free services eligible)
General purpose
1 RAM
4 (SCSI)
Supported
$7.59

We are currently operating at the $7.59 introductory level, which includes free software for one year.

The next step up is for 4 Gib of RAM at $30 per month, and software is NOT free.

That jump is out of reach for me, so we'll stay at the level where we are for as long as I can sustain the investment.

The actual cost I will see each month is the base of $8 plus charges for actual use of the account during the month. 

The account appears to be working for it's primary purposes ....

1) Prove the software is running and to find any remaining bugs.
2) Provide a convenient source for updated software when kbd512 is ready to install it at Mars Society
3) Provide learning opportunities for Admins and members
4) Provide evaluation opportunity for phpBB3 forum

In return, Admins and members have to put up with slow response to requests, and occasional restarts of MySQL because it runs out of memory.

Update: This is an opportunity for us (Admins and Members) to let Mars Society know how much we appreciate the high quality of Internet service they have been providing for NewMars as a free service, all these years.

(th)

#141 Yesterday 11:02:47

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut (and anyone who may be interested in Azure as an environment)...

In recent days I've been trying to install a capability of Python, to capture a file into the local machine clipboard memory. The purpose is to compare the php files we are using in the Azure clone, with the corresponding files in my development machine.

The attempt to install the clipboard python module has been unsuccessful so far.

The entire virtual machine locked up when I tried again today...

A few days ago I was successful in stopping and restarting the virtual machine, using the Azure control panel.

However, today the Stop is taking longer than was the case last time.

The status is reported as "Deallocating"

I may have made the restart more difficult by  clicking on [Restart] and then clicking on [stop]

I ** think ** the first time I tried this I used [Stop] and ignored [Restart]

The stop completed and then I used Start.

The lesson appears to be to use one or the other, and then let the system take as long as it needs.

***Well! We have a Stopped message at last!

I clicked on [Start]....

Status is now showing as running ...

Both test websites are back....

I think I'll give up on trying to install the Python Clipboard feature...

(th)

#142 Today 11:51:20

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut and anyone else who may be interested in the Azure experiment...

I gave up on trying to use Python to capture text to the clipboard... multiple attempts to install pyperclip failed.

Today I asked ChatGPT 3.5 for advice, and it suggested scp (which is a relative of ssh used for file transfer over a secure pathway).

After a few tries, we got the mechanism to work, and I quickly confirmed that the search_idx.php on Azure was not up to date. I then used the existing pathway to update the version of search_idx.php on Azure with the clean one from the development PC.

It will take a while to clean and update all the modules in FluxBB 1.5.11 to 1.5.12, but no one seems to be in a hurry.

search_idx.php is the first module to be put through the process.

(th)

Board footer