New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2024-04-21 11:21:12

tahanson43206

Re: phpBB3 Demonstration Forum on Azure

For SpaceNut ....

I searched but did not find a way to set the default post display order from Ascending to Descending.

The NewMars FluxBB 1.5.11 forum uses Descending order, and our members are used to it.

it might be possible to change the phpBB3 default by changing the source code.

There used to be a way to set the board default to Descending,.but that feature seems to have gone away in the current version.

I created a topic in Meta New Mars to explain how to change the setting.

I'll try to schedule time to look for the location in the phpBB3 source code where the default of Ascending is set for new users. If it is not too difficult I'll change it.  The problem with such changes is that when we subsequently upgrade to the next version of phpBB3, those local changes will go away.

Update: I added the link to the demo site in the first post of this topic.

(th)

#27 2024-04-21 14:43:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

#28 2024-04-21 16:29:29

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #27

Thank you for all three links! They were all interesting, but buried in one of them was the exact answer:

There is a database field that can be changed using MySQL Update. The field needs to be changed from A to D.

The solution is as simple as that. All future users will automatically enjoy Descending order as the default.

One of the comments that appeared in one of the three links was to the effect that 99.9% of forum users prefer Descending order, so why does phpBB3 still ship with the unwanted default?  My guess would be that whoever programmed that section liked Ascending, and no one every changed it.

I'll try to make that change some time next week.

(th)

#29 2024-04-22 07:26:42

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #28 ...

Following up ... I changed the post display order for the Anonymous User from Ascending to Descending. The display time zone was set to UTC at the same time, because the forum software insisted upon a time zone.

Therefore, all future "guest" visits will show the time in UTC, and posts will appear in Ascending order.

In other news... I created a topic in Mars Economy for the daily calendar updates.

The new topic gives credit to RobertDyck for the innovations to allow the Business Calendar we have been showing to far exceed any competitive calendar.

I'm still looking for an opportunity to create the Mars Business Calendar combined with the Earth Calendar, for sale to an audience of forward looking Earth people.

It will require a capital investment to put this new combined calendar into motion, but once set. I expect it to be successful.

For one thing, every Astronomy Department in every College or University would be a logical candidate for purchase and display of this calendar, and it is a terrific opportunity for the Mars Society to gain visibility on campuses, world wide.

(th)

#30 2024-04-23 10:17:54

tahanson43206

For all current/active NewMars members...

http://40.75.112.55/phpBB3/index.php

A test forum is available for your study at the link above.

If you are not already registered, you can request a membership by using the NewMars email process: newmarsmember@gmail.com

It would be helpful to receive feedback on the new forum layout.  We are making excellent progress in restoring FluxBB 1.5.11 to run on modern underpinnings. Only a small change by SpaceNut is potentially able to put us over the top.

If that happens, our webmaster (kbd512) will have the option of updating the software we are currently using, instead of moving to an entirely new forum package.

Please look at the structure set up in the phpBB3 forum.  We have the opportunity to introduce some or all of the changes into the existing forum.

SpaceNut is currently learning how to manage the new forum.  What SpaceNut learns is largely transferable to the existing environment.

(th)

#31 2024-04-24 06:47:59

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... While the phpBB3 site is available, please learn how to create a new Category.

It is not as simple as creating a new topic, but we need new categories in the FluxBB system, and at present, you may not know how to create one.

I cannot know (of course) if there are similarities or differences between phpBB3 and FluxBB in creating a new topic, but if you learn how to create one in phpBB3 where it is safe to experiment, you might be able to create one in FluxBB NewMars.

RobertDyck has shown some interest in having a category dedicated to Large Ship.

In addition, I would like to see the other new categories we are showing in phpBB3.

With recent progress in restoring the FluxBB clone to full operation, webmaster kbd512 will have the option of simply upgrading the FluxBB we have and continuing with the current forum.  This would be a ** lot ** less work than migrating to an entirely different forum.

There is another advantage ... FluxBB is no longer being maintained. That means we are free to make our own changes and improvements, and there will be no new version from outsiders wanting to replace it.

There are many improvements we could make. An example is counting views of posts done by real people, instead of by hackers as we have now.

We have long wanted a "Like" feature, and we could certainly implement that.

The "Like" feature would require a new column in the Posts table, and a bit of code to show the "Like" button on the Posts display.

On the other hand, phpBB3 ** has ** been improving steadily over the past 10 years, and it is enhanced with many interesting new capabilities.

Back on the first hand, FluxBB is familiar to everyone who is currently active, so it might be worth keeping for that reason alone.

In any case, please learn how to create a new category!

The key difference is that a new category is a kind of forum that has no parent, but it does need permissions, so you can use Meta New Mars for the permissions.  I am pretty sure you also need to turn (ON) the option to allow posts to the new category. I think that option is about half way down the Admin page for a new category.

(th)

#32 2024-04-24 09:48:47

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re experiments on phpBB3...

Re: Junk topic
Post by SpaceNut » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:35 am

I was able to delete my other username and posts.

It seems that most things to be done are not simple but are layered.

Thanks for your report(s) as you try out the various features of phpBB3!

The one I am most interested in is the creation of a new Category.

Because a Category is at the top level, it has no parent. However, it may need permissions, and you can copy Meta New Mars as a model.

In addition, the new Category needs to be set to allow new topics (about half way down the list of options).

Finally, the new Category needs at least one topic so it will show up.

If you are still interested in home sized Thermal Energy Storage, please consider creating a Category for that, and a topic for a particular category such as New Hampshire, or Texas, or the UK (Calliban has recently suggested some locations).

Once the Category has been created by an Admin, including the first topic, then Regular Members can create more topics.

For all current/active NewMars members ... we will leave the phpBB3 site up for you to explore for a while. If you would like an account there, just write newmarsmember@gmail.com. Please include the username you want. An Admin or Moderator will write back with a temporary password. Please change the password immediately after logging in, and please post something so we know you've arrived.

If there is someone in the NewMars audience who is not currently a member and who would like to be, please follow the same steps but clarify that you are not currently a member.

(th)

#33 2024-04-24 17:31:15

SpaceNut
Administrator

Making first attempty but its being real slow.
https://www.hostknox.com/tutorials/phpb … and-forums

Bot understanding I password protected it rather than it being open to all.

Something more to learn how to do.

update
changing the forum password was quite easy in the manage forum functions.
even created a first simple topic in the category.

#34 2024-04-27 08:52:03

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #33

It is Saturday and I am just now catching up with your experiments ... You didn't say but I'm guessing you were working in phpBB3.

Please try to create a new category for large Ship in the clone!  (and don't password protect it << grin >>)

I logged in just now to update the procedure to add a new member to phpBB3...

The procedure is the same as before .... the difference is used two computers to speed up the process.

I enabled registrations on the first computer, Registered NewUser on the second, and while still logged in as Admin, turned off registrations. That meant the registration was only open for a few seconds.

The new account was created for NewMarsMember, to update the Recruiting topic.

As a reminder to all NewMars members (current/active and those who are less active) ... the phpBB3 test forum is available for you to evaluate the package. It is a candidate for upgrade.   Upgrade of our existing FluxBB is in progress but the option of changing to phpBB3 remains open.

See the link at the top of this topic to open the phpBB3 forum.  If you would like to try it out, SpaceNut or I (or kbd512 or RobertDyck) can create an account for you. Just post here or write to newmarsmember@gmail.com.

(th)

#35 2024-04-27 11:28:01

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re new Category in phpBB3

Congratulations on creation of your first Category ...

HOME ENERGY PROJECTS
TOPICSPOSTS
LAST POST
Concrated solar power thermal creation
Refective forms Heliostats, solar troughs, flat panel or evaporated tube1Topics1Posts
Last postShiny parabolic or mirror use
by SpaceNut View the latest post
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:24 am

Now please see if you can do the same thing in the clone ...

Right now, the clone has the same Categores as the NewMars forum at Mars Society.

The last one is Archive.

Your new Category will come under Archive, unless you move it up, which you may be able to do.

I recommend you try to create a Projects category. Home Heating can be a forum under Projects.

(th)

#36 2024-04-27 12:33:14

SpaceNut
Administrator

Seemed easy in the clone but everything is so hidden and layered in the phpbb3.

I see that the category functions are given to the sites admin or webmaster and not to the lower level admins.

will just need more references for how to do when working with it.

#37 2024-04-27 18:02:31

SpaceNut
Administrator

I am unable to log into the phpbb3 board and the I forgot does not seem to be working.

#38 2024-04-27 20:10:39

SpaceNut
Administrator

I think the category are set correctly now as I went into the admin control panel and selected the manage forums, selected the edit for the project followed by setting the permissions to same as meta. It was slow so its not known it\f the same changes worked for the home energy.

Will see if they can be updated tomorrow.
Good night hopefully the weather will be fair as I am doing the back brake pads on the Volvo.

#39 2024-04-27 20:34:37

tahanson43206

Best wishes for good weather for the brake pads replacement!

Folks out in Iowa are having some severe weather.  So far no one has died, but there's a lot of property damage.

Thanks for the good news you've been working on the Category on phpBB3... The more practice you get in a safe environment, the more confident you will be when you tackle the setup in the Mars Society NewMars.
I got a break!  The Azure connection opened up long enough for me to insert the changed lines into admin_groups.php.

Please try it the next time you get a chance... (perhaps after the brake pads?)...

I don't expect the changes we made to make much of a difference, but they might.  According to ChatGPT4, the changes from PHP 7.4 to the version we are running now allowed a lot of time but 10 years is probably pushing things. 

If the program still doesn't work, please capture as much information as you can.

Plus!  If kbd512 has a chance to look at it tomorrow,  anything you observer would be helpful.

I'll take a look at the Search now. For that I'll be working on the development PC.

(th)

I think I've commented how difficult it is to keep three nearly identical forums running at the same time, as I've been doing recently.

I have to ** really ** pay attention when I'm in the real NewMars because the clone is now almost identical

#40 2024-04-28 08:35:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

Have come it for a bite of cereal for fuel for the body while taking a break due to rain down pour as I finished the first side of the car.

Will definitely look at the forums's as it sort of fun to learn programing diagnosing once more.

Board footer