New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#101 2024-04-16 19:35:05

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Azure Test Environment for Software upgrades

Log in sends you back to the newmars after log in gives a momentary flash of other querry data from the azutre site before returning.

#102 2024-04-16 20:09:11

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #101

Thanks for helping with testing... The Azure environment went away entirely just now ... based on past experience, it will be back tomorrow morning.

A normal session would allow you to log in and do activities such as looking up a user. What seems to be happening right now is not all the data is displayed.  Clearly we have some work to do before FluxBB is ready to replace the production version.

(th)

#103 2024-04-17 07:39:20

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re phpBB3 model forum ...

I have created the Categories that match the ones in NewMars forum...

The new categories show up in the Admin display, but they are not yet fully functional in what the members see...

Forum administration
In phpBB3 everything is forum based. A category is just a special type of forum. Each forum can have an unlimited number of sub-forums and you can determine whether each may be posted to or not (i.e. whether it acts like an old category). Here you can add, edit, delete, lock, unlock individual forums as well as set certain additional controls. If your posts and topics have got out of sync you can also resynchronise a forum. You need to copy or set appropriate permissions for newly created forums to have them displayed.

Board index

New Mars
Top level Category from NewMars forum        
    Mars Society
General discussion of Mars Society activities and events        
    Acheron Labs
Duplicate of NewMars Category        
    Dorsa Brevia
Duplicate of NewMars forum        
    The First Hundred
Duplicate of NewMars Category        
    Underhill
Duplicate of NewMars category        
    Archive
Duplicate of NewMars category        
Select a forum:

(th)

#104 2024-04-17 08:04:16

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... things are looking a bit more like the NewMars site....

There is a bit of a learning curve, but it appears we may be making progress ... Here is the opening Index as of 14:00 UTC on 2024/04/17

NewMars On phpBB3
This is a demo for NewMars

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:56 pm

NEW MARS
TOPICSPOSTS
LAST POST
Meta New Mars
Have your say about this website and forums. All opinions welcome!   
Subforum: Help maintain New Mars Forums! by jburk
1 Topics2 Posts
Last postRe: 20240415 New Topic in New…
by tahanson43206     View the latest post 
Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:45 am

MARS SOCIETY
TOPICSPOSTS
LAST POST
Mars Society International
General discussion of Mars Society activities and events
2 Topics4 Posts
Last postRe: This is a second new foru…
Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:19 am
Mars Analogue Research Stations
Current and future activiies of the F-MARS and MDRS, as well as other planned research stations.
0 Topics0 Posts
No posts
Mars Rovers / University Rover Challenge
Discussion on the various Mars Rover projects being pursued by the Mars Society
1 Topics1 Posts
Last postSimulation of Intelligent Rob…
Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:12 pm
Mars Gravity Biosatellite
An artificial gravity project to simulate the effects of Martian gravity on animals, initially the Translife project
0 Topics0 Posts
No posts
Mars Rovers / University Rover Challenge
Discussion on the various Mars Rover projects being pursued by the Mars Society
0 Topics0 Posts
No posts

ACHERON LABS
TOPICSPOSTS
LAST POST
Human Missions
Cost, logistics, funding, technology and timeframe for manned missions to Mars
0 Topics0 Posts
No posts
Interplanetary transportation
Present and future methods of spaceship propulsion, e.g. fission, fusion, solar sail
0 Topics0 Posts
No posts
Unmanned probes
Mars Global Surveyor, ESA Mars Express and future probes
0 Topics0 Posts
No posts
LOGIN  •  REGISTER
Username:  Password:  I forgot my password | Remember me   
WHO IS ONLINE
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 3 on Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:57 pm
STATISTICS
Total posts 7 • Total topics 4 • Total members 4 • Our newest member GW Johnson

HomeBoard indexAll times are UTCDelete cookies Contact us
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
Privacy  | Terms

I'm hoping other NewMars members will help to develop this alternative forum ... At the moment you can register your self.

In addition, the NewMars FluxBB test site is up and partially runnng... You can log in with your current username and password.

You can perform a few operations, such as looking up users.  There is still a lot of work ahead for the Admins.  Visual Studio Code found 213 faults with the ancient (2012) software, and I suspect that one or more of those are causing the unwanted query display, and the unwanted results.

Links to all the test sites are posted in #1 of this topic.

(th)

#105 2024-04-17 09:00:48

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re test system status ...

http://40.75.112.55/forums/FluxBB/index.php

The link above points to a partially working copy of the FluxBB NewMars forum.  It appears that all members can log in.

Quite a bit of functionality is not yet working. On the other hand, a surprising amount ** is ** working.

There are  errors that need to be addressed to bring this 2012 package up to 2024 standards. I'm not sure how many exist, but I suspect the number is large, and the time required to clear them will be significant. While that is going on, the new phpBB3 demo site appears to be working well.

The phpBB3 demo is coming along nicely.  It appears that the structure of Categories and Forums is falling into place.

Anyone can register with the forum and participate in evaluation of the software for possible use by NewMars.

Please note that since Registrations are open, there is an approval process in place. After you register, please create a post in one of the topics, or create a new topic.  This action will create a flag that SpaceNut or I will see, so we can admit you to the ranks of "Esteemed Regular Members".

(th)

#106 2024-04-17 09:49:34

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut and all ...

The Azure phpBB3 test site is fully populated with Categories and Forums ...

Please visit and register and run some experiments!

Anyone can register.  When you first register your are a Newbee, so SpaceNut or I have to admit you to the group of "Esteemed Regular Members".

You signal your desire to be elevated by creating a post. A flag is set that SpaceNut or I will see when we log in.

Once that elevated status is achieved, you can create topics and posts as you might be inspired.

The forum has other features you are welcome to explore.

http://40.75.112.55/phpBB3/index.php

(th)

#107 2024-04-18 07:24:32

tahanson43206

For those who might be interested in the Azure service, I note that I have been promoted from Free Trial to:

Account information
Tenant ID: <snip>

This happened after I decided to take the risk of moving to the Pay-As-You-Go plan.

(th)

#108 2024-04-18 12:49:53

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ....

Just FYI ... kbd512 asked me to run phpBB3 past Visual Studio Code with PHP extensions. I did so today, and ChatGPT4 suggested a fix to clear the one nitpicky error that Intelliphense reported.  It appears that phpBB3 could be installed at NewMars and that it would be free of  errors.  You are welcome to continue testing phpBB3 at the Azure site.

I will now resume the long slog to clear up FluxBB.  I would like to see that software working, even if we decide to move to phpBB3.

There is a ** lot ** of work needed (primarily by kbd512) to prepare a conversion program to move the FluxBB database to the configuration for phpBB.

I am not expecting that to happen any time soon, even though we found a conversion program/script to move from punBB to phpBB3.  Every single field in every single table must be manually inspected, and the sheer number of fields means a lot of work is needed.  Some of that work might be automated, but writing the code to automate the process will itself take time.

Therefore, my efforts to clean up FluxBB 1.5.11 are in a race with kbd512 to see if he can prepare (and test) the conversion utility before I clear the errors from FluxBB 1.5.11.

You can help by continuing to learn how to administer phpBB3.

If you have questions about anything I've learned so far, please ask.

(th)

#109 2024-04-18 17:41:25

SpaceNut
Administrator

I am still learning what are functions in the new phpbb3e software as I am lost so hopefully, we can add in another admin. tahanson43206 soon.

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 … istration/

https://www.fastcomet.com/tutorials/phpbb3

#110 2024-04-18 17:52:54

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #109

Just FYI ... because I created the topic, I am an Admin.  I gave you Admin privileges.

So we have two Admins (two members in the Admin group) and at least two regular members ... the gent from Alaska, and GW Johnson.

For all ...

please feel free to Register in the new phpBB3 test account to see what you think.

Be sure to post a message after your Register. That causes a flag to alert SpaceNut or me that you are there.

For SpaceNut ... homework assignment: See if you can figure out how to show which members are in which groups.

(th)

#111 2024-04-18 17:58:40

SpaceNut
Administrator

I was meaning for the hosted site on the mars society servers once rebuilt by KBD512.

As for the seeing the user group I saw that you are actually the web site admin or web master whereas I am just the forum level admin.

#112 2024-04-19 08:28:52

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ...

Microsoft sent another email to NewMarsMember today ... this is another in a series about Azure...

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/assessments/

This learning opportunity might be of interest to forum readers who would like to create a business that has Internet exposure on the Cloud.

I understand that none of our current members are planning to create a business, but our forum is exposed to ehtire world and web crawlers are constantly updating their search collections with little snippets from this forum.

(th)

#113 2024-04-20 11:13:19

SpaceNut
Administrator

I was able to log into the Fluxbb site on Azure as the password table was present.
When it errors and goes to the newmars address go back 2 pages and refresh and you are logged into the Azure site.
The forum page has this across the top of the page.

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/include/dblayer/mysqli.php on line 110

When I got to a topic to post this is the message

Debug: Database connection successful

All the topics show as of the date of the table files used by you.

#114 2024-04-20 14:00:49

tahanson43206

Thank you for looking at the partial success of the FluxBB forum in Azure!

In post #113, you have accurately reported the state of play of the FluxBB migration to Azure.  The database is identical to the original, because there are automated tools to insure the two copies are identical.  It is much less straight forward to migrate a 2012 software base to 2024 standards. The error messages you are seeing are a direct result of 10 years of changes in PHP and quite possibly in MySQL.

kbd512 has indicated a preference to go straight from FluxBB to phpBB3, because only the database needs to be processed. I am still hoping to find the bugs in FluxBB in order to replicate it's behavior in the Azure system.

Either way, many hours of work lie ahead.

Thanks (again) for your support and encouragement.

(th)

#115 2024-04-20 19:22:35

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... this is a status report on debugging of FluxBB 1.5.11 to run under modern PHP and MySQL.

This evening ChatGPT4 coached me through setup of debugging with a live browser session. We tackled the problem of viewforum not showing all the data on topics that are inside the forum.  We confirmed that the query pulling the topics data is working correctly. There were 30 rows of 12 columns, and all the data was present. The data is getting dropped before it is displayed, and there are no error messages.

I'll have to step through the code to find where the data goes missing.

In other developments, I found a variable that is (apparently) causing the queries to show up: PUN_SHOW_QUERIES.

All I have to do is to find where that is turned on. I thought I had turned it off, but obviously not.

We'll have a Google Meeting tomorrow, so if kbd512 can make the meeting, I'll have a lot to report.

(th)

#116 2024-04-21 15:30:46

SpaceNut
Administrator

I have taken a look to see if there are Fluxbb data sets to those of phpbb3

https://github.com/fluxbb/converter

How to convert from FluxBB 1.5.11?
There are many posts for this on the web "converting fluxbb posts to phpbb3".

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop … &t=2109031

#117 2024-04-21 16:37:31

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #116

Thanks for doing that research ... Out of curiosity, are you willing to take on part of the work load?

kbd512 has a full time job and an active family, plus many side interests and activities.

He is the logical person to supervise the work, but I am available to do some of the field checking, and you can help if you have time and if you are interested.

The work involves comparing the old fields in the old tables to the new fields in the new tables, and confirming that whatever tool is chosen is capable of making the needed changes at run time, without creating a mess.

At the moment it appears the three of us are the only resources available.

As a reminder, I put a link to a printout of all 2000+ php files in phpBB3 into a recent post with you as the recipient. I've forgotten now where I put it, but you can find it easily enough by looking for dropbox inside a post by tahanson43206.

Don't plan on printing the file ... it would require way more than 18 pages, which is where I shut off the printout. 

Only a few of those are in the top tier of runtime executables, but apparently someone at phpBB thought they should all be included.

(th)

#118 2024-04-22 17:44:50

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut .... in Sunday's Google Meeting, kbd512 walked through a failing section of FluxBB with me... He decided that the behavior we were seeing was a symptom of a problem, and not a problem itself.  Today, I confirmed that in restoring database tables, I substituted Zero for Null. I've forgotten the reason, but assume it must have had something to do with all the problems I was having trying to restore from backup CSV files.

This evening, ChatGPT4 suggested changing all the Topics records with Zero in the "moved_to" field so they contain nulls.  Instantly, the failing section of FluxBB began working. For your information, there are 58 Moves documented in the database, and 8232 topics that were NOT moved.

The change took effect in my development system, so I will now attempt to repeat the fix in the Azure test database.

Update a few minutes later: I set the zeros to null, and the data about topics is showing up.

There are other defects in the Azure version that have been cleaned up in the development PC.

Update a bit later: This command now works: http://40.75.112.55/forums/FluxBB/viewtopic.php?id=9363

There is a warning about line 582 in functions.php. Update: that error has been corrected.

I'll now return to working in the development environment.

(th)

#119 2024-04-22 19:29:32

SpaceNut
Administrator

I see that the normal newmars website and the clone has a debugging code at the end that creates the Query.
The html page normally would end with the classic source code

</div>
<div class="end-box"></div>
</div>

</body>
</html>

but instead the clone contains at the last </div> between the <body>

<p id="debugtime">[ Generated in 0.020 seconds, 7 queries executed - Memory usage: 561.17 KiB (Peak: 579.96 KiB) ]</p>

<div id="debug" class="blocktable">
    <h2><span>Debug information</span></h2>
    <div class="box">
        <div class="inbox">
            <table>
            <thead>
                <tr>
                    <th class="tcl" scope="col">Time (s)</th>
                    <th class="tcr" scope="col">Query</th>

so on and so forth until the query ends with the html body end structure.

#120 2024-04-22 21:05:06

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut ... thank you for reporting on your observations!

I am noting your report and will try to add it to the problem-to-be-solved space!

This evening I am logged in to report the result of a long debugging session... It turns out that there is a c o n f ig table inside the d a t a b a se where key information is stored that is wrong for the test installation.

the c o n f ig  t a b l  e inside F u x B B    M y S Q L reads:
o _ b a s e _ u r l                 | h t t p://n e w m a rs.c o m/fo r u ms                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
o _ a d m i n_email              | w e b m a s t er@ma r s s o c iety.org                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
o _ w e b m a s t er_email          | w e b m a s ter@ma r s s o ciety.org

AISE objected to something in original post.

That is where the mismatch is coming from!

I wonder if there is an admin function to update those fields?

SpaceNut, by any chance do you have the ability to update the c o n f ig table in the d a t a b a se? Don't change anything! Just look to see if you have access to the fields. I can use M y S Q L to fix the fields, but am wondering if there is a s c r i p t  for that purpose that I might be able to run.

Update later: SpaceNut, you may be able to fix the problem in the clone...

text from github

If the reason is in the "Base URL", then open the /cache/cache_config.php file on the server, set the correct value of the 'o_base_url' element and save, then go to Administration -> Options and set the correct value and save.

Please see if you have an Options capability in the NewMars system.

Then see if you can log into the Clone and use the same option?

If you can, the path there would be localhost/forums/FluxBB/

You might have to use the full path with the 40.* ip address. I think the existence of those fields in the database explains why we find ourselves back on the newmars site when errors occur.

(th)

#121 2024-04-23 07:25:56

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re Clone of FluxBB on Azure ...

The clone appears to be close to working. It appears that you or kbd512 may be able to correct the problem that is blocking posting.

http://40.75.112.55/forums/FluxBB/index.php

I do not currently have access to Admin on FluxBB, but I understand that there may be an Admin >> Options feature you can run as Admin.

The fields in the database that need to be updated are shown in Post #120.

You can use newmarsmember@gmail.com as the email address.

The critical URL is the base address!  Right now that is pointing to the NewMars forum running on Dreamhost.

That field needs to be changed so the link matches the test site on Azure.

You might be able to use the localhost format: localhost/forums/FluxBB

Otherwise, you definitely should be able to use the IP format: http://40.75.112.55/forums/FluxBB/

You will know you have been successful when the forum allows you to post.

(th)

#122 2024-04-23 17:03:56

SpaceNut
Administrator

Changing the base u r l gives this message.

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/include/dblayer/mysqli.php on line 110

New Mars Forums
Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

Index
User list Rules Search  Profile A d m i n i s t r a t i o n Logout
Logged in as SpaceNut Last visit: 2024-04-20 12:12:28

Info
Bad HTTP_REFERER. If you have moved these forums from one location to another or switched domains, you need to update the Base U R L manually in the d a t a b a s e (look for o_base_u r l in the config table) and then clear the cache by deleting all .php files in the /cache directory.

[ Generated in 0.011 seconds, 4 queries executed - Memory usage: 554.3 KiB (Peak: 556.97 KiB) ]

Time (s)    Query
0.00041    SELECT u.*, g.*, o.logged, o.idle FROM fluxbb_users AS u INNER JOIN fluxbb_groups AS g ON u.group_id=g.g_id LEFT JOIN fluxbb_online AS o ON o.user_id=u.id WHERE u.id=916
0.00566    UPDATE fluxbb_online SET logged=1713913508 WHERE user_id=916
0.00019    SELECT user_id, ident, logged, idle FROM fluxbb_online WHERE logged<1713913208
0.00013    SELECT 1 FROM fluxbb_reports WHERE zapped IS NULL

Data base does not save the changes made in any form pages

#123 2024-04-23 18:45:33

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #122

Thanks ** very ** much for trying the update. It's something I would have always wondered about, so appreciate your trying it.

It turns out that this is a chicken-egg problem. The only solution is the manual update.  I'll apply the fix tomorrow.

The change I asked you to try is blocked by the fault that I asked you to fix. Fortunately the manual update can handle it.

There is one more small bug that showed up, and I hope to fix that tomorrow as well.

Thanks for finding and showing the original Voyager topic from 2005 ... I did not find it in my search, or if I did see it I was caught by the more recent topic about Voyager 2.  Now each Voyager has it's own topic, which probably makes sense, because they are on very different trajectories out of the Solar System, and have similar but different histories.

(th)

#124 2024-04-24 10:28:02

tahanson43206

For all NewMars members who might wish to help find bugs in the updated FluxBB package we are testing on Azure ...

This is what a bug looks like ... the text shows up on a blank browser page.  You can copy it and paste into a post here in the original NewMars (in this column).

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: mysqli_result object is already closed in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/include/dblayer/mysqli.php:186 Stack trace: #0 /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/include/dblayer/mysqli.php(186): mysqli_free_result() #1 /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/footer.php(162): MysqlDBLayer->close() #2 /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/include/functions.php(958): require('...') #3 /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/search.php(312): message() #4 {main} thrown in /var/www/html/forums/FluxBB/include/dblayer/mysqli.php on line 186

I have the package running on my development PC but now must (carefully) make the needed changes to the Azure clone.

I'm planning to work on making those changes this afternoon (local time).

(th)

#125 2024-04-24 11:34:17

tahanson43206

Preliminary report from the front lines of Azure updates ...

The local Internet is not congested, but the distant Internet is heavily congested...

My attempts to connect to Azure were honored at first, but the session was cut off, and now I cannot reconnect.

Meanwhile the actual phpBB3 test site is still working. I deduce that a terminal connection is given lower priority than serving the customers.

I'll try again later today.

(th)

Board footer