New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2024-04-13 17:43:45

Void

Tucking Heat as a Para Terraform method.

I give my consent to have this topic obliterated by management if they want to, although they could anyway.

But this phrase "Tucking Heat" has finally emerged in my mind.  Tucking heat is to push heat under the surface of a world, probably into water, water perhaps covered with ice or an artificial covering.

It is not the same as using greenhouse gasses or exploding nuclear devices above the ice caps, although water produced that way could seep under the ice if it were in liquid form.

On the majority of sizable worlds, tucking heat would be useful.  Perhaps Mercury, but not Venus.  The moons of the outer planets but not the outer planets.  And the icy dwarf planets and sub-dwarf asteroids as well.

In "Tucking Heat", you may at times use a reservoir as a radiator for a heat engine system(s).

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-04-13 18:00:31)

Done.

#2 2024-04-13 18:02:54

Void

Re: Tucking Heat as a Para Terraform method.

These aquatic radiators that might be created may be populated by life perhaps.  The life could be chemically driven or by light.  Light is more difficult.  You either have an artificial light source, or direct actual sunlight into the aquatic radiator. 

Probably a combination of the two is likely, where the chemical method by far is dominant.

So, the Dark and Dim agriculture.

This yet again: https://www.snexplores.org/article/inno … ts-in-dark
Yeast, Algae, and Mycelium for Mushrooms seem to do rather well with this.
Terrestrial garden crops not so much, not yet anyway.  Bioforming may improve that.

But it has occurred to me that algae do not only include microscopic algae, but there are large versions that some people already consume as food.  Will they use acetate to the degree that microscopic algae do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algae

What about kelp?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelp
Quote:

The organisms require nutrient-rich water with temperatures between 6 and 14 °C (43 and 57 °F). They are known for their high growth rate—the genera Macrocystis and Nereocystis can grow as fast as half a metre a day, ultimately reaching 30 to 80 metres (100 to 260 ft).[6]

It should not be that hard to create an underwater dome where you could impose the conditions needed within it.  It would be submerged in a lake or sea.  It might have a bit of light, but I am wishing that the algae can mostly live off of acetate and Oxygen and nutrients.

I guess there is a need to find out.

Also, in polar waters there may be large algae's as well.

While I know that there are large algae in the Antarctic Ocean, I will look it Greenland as there are people there who may eat such seaweeds.  https://seatemperature.info/greenland-w … annguit%29.  Quote:

Sea water temperature throughout Greenland is not yet warm enough for swimming and does not exceed 20°C. The warmest sea temperature in Greenland today is 0.3°C (in Nuuk), and the coldest water temperature is -1.8°C (Qasigiannguit).
Current sea water temperature in Greenland
seatemperature.info/greenland-water-temperature.html
seatemperature.info/greenland-water-temperature.html

I don't know the language: https://arctic.dtu.dk/fejl/404?item=%2f … ctic-dtuUK
But this is apparently a Quote:

Seaweed grown in Greenland is a safe, healthy and sustainable food source that could replace up to 20% of the country’s import of vegetables, according to a study from the National Food Institute, Technical University of Denmark.

This seems to be in English: https://www.food.dtu.dk/english/news/su … d8c439adf5

Where vascular land plants seem to have some trouble thriving on Acetate, perhaps these large multicellular algae may do well?

The algae tested so far are said to be 4 times as efficient as photosynthesis.

If this proves true then ocean locations with domed over sea floors, could grow this stuff on acetate.  So given the electrical energy to produce the acetate, then vast farmlands could be created on the bottom of the seas, perhaps on the continental shelves.

And so too perhaps for Mars, and other worlds.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-04-13 18:29:58)

Done.

#3 2024-04-13 18:36:12

Void

OK, my suspicion is seeming true.  Acetate consumption is normal in sea water.  But it would not be a thing that land plants may so easily obtain.

Evidence: https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com … 18GB006129
I think this is a bingo: Quote:

Significance of Acetate as a Microbial Carbon and Energy
Source in the Water Column of Gulf of Mexico:
Implications for Marine Carbon Cycling
Guang‐Chao Zhuang1 , Tito D. Peña‐Montenegro1,2 , Andrew Montgomery1
Joseph P. Montoya3
, and Samantha B. Joye1
Department of Marine Sciences, University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA, 2
Institute of Bioinformatics, University of
Georgia, Athens, GA, USA, 3
School of Biological Sciences, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, USA

I think it is likely that large seaweeds will consume acetate as well.  I presume that acetate will become available from the decay of organic materials.  (So far, I speculate that it is so).

Vascular plants that have returned to the sea, might have developed the ability to use acetate as well.  If so then the methods used might be transferable to land plants, maybe?

Enough

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-04-13 18:41:05)

Done.

#4 2024-04-13 18:44:29

Void

Here is a prototype of a gardener for these underwater fields: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo … i-BB1kWYLz

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-04-13 18:45:57)

Done.

#5 2024-04-13 19:18:20

Void

Back again.  Here is a notion that popped into my mind about the Great Salt Lake:  BUJu3wA.png

This would be a different type of farming that might allow more water to flow from the rivers into the lake, and prevent the bad things that will come from it drying up more.

Eventually on Mars if the atmospheric pressure gets high enough there could be open water, but it might be extremely salty to help hold moisture from evaporation, but you could have agriculture in a containment below the surface of the water.

However, before that transparent domes over the water may allow something similar before the planet is terraformed enough for open water.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-04-13 19:20:15)

Done.

#6 2024-04-14 12:24:50

Void

Returning to Mars, the combination of Hot Bricks and ice covered lakes could be worthwhile.

The hot bricks could come from a combination of nuclear and solar of some kind.

Using the lakes to be radiators then.  While part of the lake or sea may be of artic cold, down below can be sections partitioned of to be of a temperate temperature.

However, if someone misses the sunlight in their face, it would be possible to have small, pressurized greenhouses for that.

Sea weeds exist that might grow in some of the lake conditions,   Both artificial lighting in small portions and acetate might cause the to grow.

The conditions in the lakes and seas will be rather Earth like per radiation and temperature.

But I have said these things in various ways at many times.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-04-14 12:28:42)

Done.

Board footer