New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2024-02-20 20:09:08

Void

Mars Direct 3 is a Mars mission architecture developed by Miguel Gurre

I don't recall this being reviewed on this site: https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/r … ORM=VRDGAR  Quote:

Mars Direct 3 | A Proposal for SpaceX's Mars Program | Miguel Gurrea
YouTube
The Mars Society
7.1K views
10 months ago

I don't feel I am qualified to judge the notions of this, but I like some of them for sure, and it seems to be accepted as good for review by The Mars Society.

I will try not to be intrusive as much as I have been upstairs here though.  But this video is interesting.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-02-20 20:11:38)

Done.

#2 2024-02-21 18:19:02

SpaceNut
Administrator

Re: Mars Direct 3 is a Mars mission architecture developed by Miguel Gurre

I this needs its own topic.

youtube Mars Direct 3 is a Mars mission architecture developed by Miguel Gurrea video

Mars Direct 3 is a Mars mission architecture developed by Miguel Gurrea with permission and based on the work of Dr. Robert Zubrin and the technology of SpaceX, and is intended to be a serious proposal for SpaceX. The concept has and may continue to evolve and adjust based on feedback. The paper, presentations and video have been published by The Mars Society with permission.

https://www.marspapers.org/paper/Gurrea_2021.pdf

#3 2024-02-21 20:48:49

Void

I understand why Elon Musk and SpaceX do not want to divert to a Mini-Starship, as they must make the Starship work above all.

The closest thing that exists for a Mini-Starship is the 2nd stage of Terran-R.

But that one is not being made to be reusable.  But perhaps down the line, SpaceX could team up with Relativity Space to make an upgraded version that could serve as a Mini-Starship.

Done

Last edited by Void (2024-02-21 20:50:56)

Done.

#4 2024-02-22 08:13:44

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re link to PDF by Miguel Gurrea

Thank you for encouraging our members to take a look at that 13 page document.

I can see why the Mars Society would have given official support to this work.

At a first scan impression, this document appears to show the kind of deep thought that will be needed to successfully pull off a first landing on Mars, including a stay and safe return.

(th)

#5 2024-02-22 10:03:52

GW Johnson
Website

This is a good safe plan,  with a high probability of recovering the crew,  while also planting the seeds of a real base.  It beats the ever-loving hell out of anything I ever saw coming from NASA and its "old space" favored contractors! 

This person did with SpaceX tinkertoys what I tried to do with non-SpaceX conceptual tinkertoys in my Mars mission plans:  include a way out at every step.  He did a wonderful job.  Even better than what I did.

What SpaceX now has to do is quite clear:  make Starship work,  first and foremost as the orbital transport that it really is (the rest will follow when that is done).  Then,  use the moon lander technologies and the Starship technologies to build the small vehicle,  making the Direct 3 big ship/small ship approach possible.

By the way,  the small ship in his study is also pretty much the combined suborbital hopper/orbital taxi that I looked at.  Such could serve a long time in that role between widely separated fully developed bases,  and in loading/unloading other ship designs in low Mars orbit. Such roles will appear much later in the base development and colonization,  they won't appear early.  But they will appear.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#6 2024-02-29 17:27:35

SpaceNut
Administrator

Thanks to Void we have another to make use of in "Mars Direct 3 is a Mars mission architecture developed by Miguel Gurrea" topic.
https://www.marspapers.org/paper/Gurrea_2021.pdf

Plus Mars direct was a 40mT payload
https://www.marspapers.org/paper/Zubrin_1991.pdf

A reuseable craft requires the means to make the fuel of choice.

Board footer