New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2023-12-28 15:25:31

tahanson43206

Nickel-63 Manufacturing for deployment on Earth/Mars/Solar-system

This topic is one of several that may seem helpful over time.

Update 2023/12/31 ... after several days of work ChatGPT4 convinced me that Ni-63 is not going to work for the home energy supply market, as I had hoped.
The material has several very attractive properties, but it is made from an isotope that is rare on Earth.
The alternative that showed up is Tritium. It decays to Helium 3, which is itself valuable. It can be  made from Deuterium, which is present in sea water.
The total mass required to deliver 20 Kw is only 20 kilograms. The 20 kilograms will still be producing at 14 Kw after 7 years.

The Nickel-63 inquiry is hereby closed (th)

The way in which Nickel-63 might be prepared and packaged is unclear (to me for sure) at this point.

In the first post below, I will show a work plan suggested by ChatGPT4 to approach this problem.

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 15#p217915

A valuable reference for this topic is a post by Calliban:

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 49#p217649

Discussion of how to make Ni-63 in a reactor.

Includes observation of how much energy is carried away by neutrinos.

(th)

#2 2023-12-28 15:33:16

tahanson43206

Re: Nickel-63 Manufacturing for deployment on Earth/Mars/Solar-system

The work plan below was prepared by ChatGPT4 on 2023/12/28:

[b]Manufacturing Process Considerations for Nickel-63 Sheets/Rolls[/b]

1. [b]Material Synthesis:[/b]
   - [i]Isotope Production[/i]: The first step is the production of Ni-63. This could involve enriching natural nickel or a specific nuclear reaction.
   - [i]Purity and Quality Control[/i]: Ensuring the purity of Ni-63 is vital for both safety and efficiency.

2. [b]Sheet/Roll Fabrication:[/b]
   - [i]Forming Sheets/Rolls[/i]: Converting Ni-63 into thin sheets or rolls. This involves material processing techniques that can handle and maintain the integrity of radioactive materials.
   - [i]Thickness and Uniformity[/i]: Consistency in thickness is key for predictable energy output.

3. [b]Interleaving Material:[/b]
   - [i]Beta Particle Capture[/i]: The choice of material for interleaving is critical. It must be capable of efficiently capturing beta particles while being durable and stable.
   - [i]Integration with Ni-63[/i]: Ensuring a seamless integration of this material with Ni-63 sheets in a way that maximizes energy capture and minimizes waste or leakage.

4. [b]Safety and Containment:[/b]
   - [i]Radiation Shielding[/i]: Given the radioactive nature of Ni-63, adequate shielding during the manufacturing process is essential.
   - [i]Handling Protocols[/i]: Establishing strict handling protocols to protect workers and the environment.

(th)

#3 2023-12-28 15:45:15

tahanson43206

Apache Internal Server Error objected when step 5 was added... this post will attempt to deliver the balance of the work plan:

5. [b]Quality Assurance:[/b]

6. [b]Scalability and Logistics:[/b]

7. [b]Environmental and Regulatory Compliance:[/b]

(th)

#4 2023-12-28 15:49:15

tahanson43206

Manufacturing Process Considerations for Nickel-63 Sheets/Rolls

1. Material Synthesis:
   - Isotope Production: The first step is the production of Ni-63. This could involve enriching natural nickel or a specific nuclear reaction.
   - Purity and Quality Control: Ensuring the purity of Ni-63 is vital for both safety and efficiency.

2. Sheet/Roll Fabrication:
   - Forming Sheets/Rolls: Converting Ni-63 into thin sheets or rolls. This involves material processing techniques that can handle and maintain the integrity of radioactive materials.
   - Thickness and Uniformity: Consistency in thickness is key for predictable energy output.

3. Interleaving Material:
   - Beta Particle Capture: The choice of material for interleaving is critical. It must be capable of efficiently capturing beta particles while being durable and stable.
   - Integration with Ni-63: Ensuring a seamless integration of this material with Ni-63 sheets in a way that maximizes energy capture and minimizes waste or leakage.

4. Safety and Containment:
   - Radiation Shielding: Given the radioactive nature of Ni-63, adequate shielding during the manufacturing process is essential.
   - Handling Protocols: Establishing strict handling protocols to protect workers and the environment.

#5 2023-12-28 15:50:51

tahanson43206

5. Quality Assurance:

6. Scalability and Logistics:

7. Environmental and Regulatory Compliance:

#6 2023-12-29 20:41:26

tahanson43206

Attempting again after 24 hour pause ...

No luck ... whatever is bugging Apache Internal Server Error is still in effect.

Trying #6:

- Scaling Up Production: Considering how to scale up the manufacturing process for large-scale production.
   - Transport and Storage: Safe and efficient methods for transporting and storing these radioactive materials.

I'll try  #7:

- Regulatory Approval: Ensuring compliance with all relevant nuclear material handling and environmental regulations.
   - Waste Management: Planning for the safe disposal or recycling of Ni-63 after its energy-producing life.

(th)

#7 2023-12-29 20:54:09

tahanson43206

Trying #5 by itself failed, but it finally succeeded with addition of spaces.

5. Q u a l i t y A s s u r a n c e:
   - Testing for Efficacy: R e g u l a r testing to ensure the s h e e t s / r o l l s meet the required energy output s p e c i f i c a t i o n s.
   - Longevity Testing: Assessing how the material performs over time, especially given the long service life expected.

(th)

#8 2023-12-29 21:04:51

tahanson43206

A valuable reference for this topic is a post by Calliban:

http://newmars.com/forums/viewtopic.php … 49#p217649

Discussion of how to make Ni-63 in a reactor.

Includes observation of how much energy is carried away by neutrinos.

(th)

#9 2023-12-30 12:47:22

tahanson43206

Assembling all the components of the work plan, after satisfying Apache Internal Server Error:

tahanson43206 wrote:

1. Material Synthesis:
   - Isotope Production: The first step is the production of Ni-63. This could involve enriching natural nickel or a specific nuclear reaction.
   - Purity and Quality Control: Ensuring the purity of Ni-63 is vital for both safety and efficiency.

2. Sheet/Roll Fabrication:
   - Forming Sheets/Rolls: Converting Ni-63 into thin sheets or rolls. This involves material processing techniques that can handle and maintain the integrity of radioactive materials.
   - Thickness and Uniformity: Consistency in thickness is key for predictable energy output.

3. Interleaving Material:
   - Beta Particle Capture: The choice of material for interleaving is critical. It must be capable of efficiently capturing beta particles while being durable and stable.
   - Integration with Ni-63: Ensuring a seamless integration of this material with Ni-63 sheets in a way that maximizes energy capture and minimizes waste or leakage.

4. Safety and Containment:
   - Radiation Shielding: Given the radioactive nature of Ni-63, adequate shielding during the manufacturing process is essential.
   - Handling Protocols: Establishing strict handling protocols to protect workers and the environment.

5. Q u a l i t y A s s u r a n c e:
   - Testing for Efficacy: R e g u l a r testing to ensure the s h e e t s / r o l l s meet the required energy output s p e c i f i c a t i o n s.
   - Longevity Testing: Assessing how the material performs over time, especially given the long service life expected.

- Scaling Up Production: Considering how to scale up the manufacturing process for large-scale production.
   - Transport and Storage: Safe and efficient methods for transporting and storing these radioactive materials.

- Regulatory Approval: Ensuring compliance with all relevant nuclear material handling and environmental regulations.
   - Waste Management: Planning for the safe disposal or recycling of Ni-63 after its energy-producing life.

SearchTerm:Workplan for Nickel-63 Manufacture

(th)

#10 2023-12-30 15:22:07

SpaceNut
Administrator

The manufacturing is dependent on which application you are planning to use the N63 as the battery just need material thick enough for the depositing of the layers of materials to be placed onto it. Which is the interleaving of materials to make the panels.

The thermal is a chuck of metal and not so much thin or in layers. The issue for thermal is what need to be around it to generate the heat via I assume reflection.

How to make the material an isotpe really does not matter in bulk or in layer thin foils as the adaptations for them are different.
The containing of the material while in process requires safety measure to guard against people being exposed to levels that are damaging.

The quick and dirty testy is will it produce the desire power levels within acceptable tolerances.

Installation setup requires the deterrent of to make use of the material in any other means that can be used for terrorist reasoning in dirty bomb materials. Should be next to no material exposure to the environment and that makes it fully within the regulations as its unable to be tampered with.

Scalable is not just making the units larger but making them be able to be joined to get a larger amount of power out of the complete system. This is what solar panels do.

#11 2023-12-30 21:16:42

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re #10 ... thank you for continue to support this topic!

Today I began to investigate the "Real Universe" aspects of dealing with Nickel.  I learned, for starters, that Ni-63 is made from Ni-62, which is only 3.6% of nickel as mined.  Ni-63 can be made from Ni-58, which is the bulk of Nickel as mined, but the process is convoluted.  The price of Nickel on the global market is greater than copper, in part (I gather) because Nickel is so useful in electric batteries for EV's.

Here is a collection of Google snippets that show a little bit about pricing, and which end with an estimate of purity by US and Chinese standards.

ING analyst sees nickel pricing remaining subdued - Recycling Today

www.recyclingtoday.com › news › ing-bank-nickel-price-forecast-2024-sta...

Dec 12, 2023 · Dutch bank's commodities analyst Ewa Manthey sees LME nickel pricing in 2024 rarely reaching $17,000 per metric ton.

People also ask
How much is nickel worth per ton?
What is the price of pure nickel?
What is today's price of nickel?
How much is a tonne of nickel?
Monthly price of nickel worldwide 2016-2023 - Statista
www.statista.com › ... › Financial Instruments & Investments

Sep 27, 2023 · It is forecast that the price of nickel will amount to more than 17,000 U.S. dollars per metric ton in 2025. Read more. Monthly price of nickel ...

Nickel Futures Price | Will Nickel Price Go Up or Down? - Capital.com
capital.com › All News › Commodities

Nov 14, 2022 · ... per tonne. According to the LME nickel contract specification, the underlying nickel must be of at least 99.80% purity and the minimum ...
Knives out for nickel despite bullish supply signals: Andy Home
www.reuters.com › article

Jun 24, 2015 · JPMorgan is "more comfortable with $10,000 nickel" than it is with prices at $17,000 a tonne. ... It was deemed a pure supply-side story and a ...
Nickel's underperformance to continue | Article - ING Think
think.ing.com › articles › nickels-underperformance-to-continue-hold

Dec 4, 2023 · The surplus in the global nickel market is expected to widen to 239,000 metric tons ... $17,000/t. We forecast an average of $16,813/t in 2024 ...
The case for low-grade sulfide nickel deposits - Ahead of the Herd
aheadoftheherd.com › the-case-for-low-grade-sulfide-nickel-deposits

Oct 4, 2022 · Using Crawford as an example, Hughes finds that, based on a nickel price of USD$17,000 per tonne, and using the roasting process from Dumont's ...
[PDF] The future of nickel: A class act - McKinsey
www.mckinsey.com › media › McKinsey › Industries › The future of ...

Nov 16, 2017 · Currently, class 1 nickel supply suitable for battery production represents approximately half of global supply of 2.1 million metric tons (Mt) ...
Can Low-Grade Bulk Nickel Ever Be Profitable? Short Answer: Yes
www.cruxinvestor.com › posts › low-grade-bulk-nickel

Feb 10, 2021 · Based on a nickel price of USD$17,000 per tonne, the higher-grade core containing 0.34% nickel at a 50% recovery rate, and average-grade ...
Missing: purity | Show results with:purity
China's Nickel-Ore Supply Seen Lasting 6 Months After Ban
www.bloomberg.com › news › articles › china-s-nickel-ore-supply-seen-las...

Jan 16, 2014 · Nickel may reach $17,000 a ton this quarter, according to Citigroup Inc. ... pure nickel reached a record $51,800 in 2007. — With assistance from ...
[PDF] Nickel | 2018 Minerals Yearbook - USGS Publications Warehouse
pubs.usgs.gov › myb › vol1 › myb1-2018-nickel
May 12, 2023 · (lMe) require a purity of 99.8% (American Society for Testing and Materials international standards) or 99.9% (chinese national Standards) ( ...

The 3.5 ton allotment for one power pack would cost 3.5 * 17,000 if all the nickel could be converted to Ni-63 >> $59,500

If that were the only cost, and it could be spread over 50 years, then the cost per year would be $1,190 or about $100 per month.

For that you'd be getting heating for most homes, and as much electricity as the conversion solution can deliver.

However, the actual cost of the package would include processing at the reactor facility, plus whatever processing is needed to harvest electrons and thermal energy.

(th)

#12 2023-12-31 08:16:01

tahanson43206

The recent work with ChatGPT4 was about the manufacturing of Nickel-63.  The transcript below opens that discussion with a brief review of how memory is managed by ChatGPT4 's support software.  It then goes on to cover the abundance of various isotopes of Nickel, where Nickel is mined, and relative ease/difficulty of makeing Ni-63 from Ni-62 and from Ni-58.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fMn … sp=sharing

Since 3.5 tons of Ni-63 are needed for a 20 Kw power pack, it appears that many more tons of Nickel would have to be processed to obtain Ni-62, since Ni-62 is only 3.6 % of the total of Nickel found on Earth.

The process of separation of the isotopes might become a profit center, if there is sufficient value of the isotopes separated from each other.

(th)

#13 2024-01-01 07:10:27

tahanson43206