New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#51 2003-11-11 16:33:31

jadeheart

Re: New research paper says - Mars life unlikely

What of the possiblity that earth seeded life on mars?  I hear nothing but the possiblity that mars seeded life on earth.

how about both of em seeded from comets?  this is mostly just a hunch, but i think the galaxy, if not the universe, is probably permiated with microbial life.  i think that if mars was ever wet & warm for at least a little while, i think we will find that microbes were able to establish a foothold there-- in keeping with the article that started this thread, they may have been brought there by the same bombardment that made it wet & warm.  for this reason i'm keenly interested in comet missions & finding out their composition down to the minutest detail.  i believe we will find that comets (and by extension probably the interstellar medium) are carriers of space-adapted microbes.  it has been pointed out that we already have these space-adapted microbes here on earth (e.g., radiodurans).  why would these critters have evolved traits like this on a planet that doesn't require these traits?  because they didn't originate here.

here's a link to a story that's probably old hat by now but i still think is tantalizing:

http://www.cnn.com/2000/TECH/space/11/2 … obe.claim/

as with any scientific finding, it's not without controversy & detractors.  time-- and some comet missions! will tell who's right.

You can stand on a mountaintop with your mouth open for a very long time before a roast duck flies into it.  -Chinese Proverb

Board footer