New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2003-01-19 23:01:17

Echus_Chasma
Website

Re: The X-Prize - Could MS go for this?

I was watching a discovery programme about rockets and I was wondering, Would we be able to go for the X-prize.

The X-prize is $10 mil to the first private group to put a craft into space with 3 people in it.

Would it be too difficult?
It would be good advertising for a Mars Mission and $10 mil would be quite nice...

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#2 2003-01-30 05:52:33

Deimos
InActive

I would not think the Mars Society would go for something like that.. I agree with you that it is a great oppertunity to get some PR for us but it requires a good ammount of capital to construct a space-faring vehicle.  To put things in perspective, the American X-15 cost roughly $300 million.  Yes, some of that was research money but it would still not be cheap unless we could find an aerospace corporation willing to donate a vehicle..

#3 2003-01-30 16:55:18

Mark S
Banned

The X-Prize is not a break-even proposition.  The estimated cost of building a vehicle and winning the prize is around $20 million.  The reward for winning the X-Prize, however, is the space tourism market, which will be opened once the prize is in hand.  As lucrative as that is, it doesn't apply to the Mars Society.  Although I'm sure that a large number of MS members support space tourism, space tourism doesn't do much for bringing us closer to Mars.

"I'm not much of a 'hands-on' evil scientist."--Dr. Evil, "Goldmember"

#4 2003-09-20 04:53:53

alokmohan

If X prize is given after space tourism starts,how long may we wait?any idea?

Board footer