New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2003-02-15 12:56:44

Adrian
Website

Re: Good books you've just read

How about discussing books that you've just finished reading? Not just good books in general, but ones that are fresh in your mind and have made an impression.

I've just finished re-reading The Player of Games by Iain Banks (OK, this is cheating since I've read it before - about five years ago) and it once again struck me as one of the most well written SF novels I've read. Complex characters, a rich universe, good quandaries.

Also just read The Forge of God by Greg Bear; another good book. Quite shocking ending. Not your usual SF novel.

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#2 2003-02-15 15:30:57

Ranger_2833
Banned
Website

I just finished Gods and Legions (not to be confused with Gods and Generals, the new movie coming out) by Michael Curtis Ford.   It's a historical fiction about the rise to power of Julian Augustus, emperor of Rome in the 4th century.  It's very well written and stays close to historical fact.  If any of you have read The Ten Thousand by Ford, then you will love this new novel.

For more info (I'm not really in the mood to write a book report now) see here: http://www.amazon.com/exec....=507846

Just another American pissed off with the morons in charge...

Motto:  Ex logicus, intellegentia... Ex intellegentia, veritas.

#3 2003-02-15 15:32:29

CalTech2010

The Grapes of Wrath

The Feelgood Book of 1939...

"Some have met another fate.  Let's put it this way... they no longer pose a threat to the US or its allies and friends." -- President Bush, State of the Union Address

#4 2003-02-15 16:35:51

Palomar

*For fear of being branded a "feminist" for recommending this book, please note that:

1.  I'm a humanist, not a feminist.
2.  Denis Diderot (the author) was a man.

To answer Adrian:  _The Nun_, by Denis Diderot. 

I wrote the following for my private mailing list, regarding this 18th century philosophical novel (not a spoiler):

His treatment of Suzanne Simonin (protagonist) is noble,
wonderful, and absolutely sympathetic; no condescension, no "mere
pity." I was going to wait until I was finished with the book before
I made any indepth comments, but I'll make a few here: He raises
social awareness and consciousness with this book. Women of the time
could be forced into nunneries so as to financially unburden the
remainder of the family. As in the case of Suzanne Simonin [a
fictional character -- however, there is another story behind the
novel; I'll discuss that in a later post], she was forced into a convent
because her parents favored her two sisters over her. As it turns
out, they were really her half-sisters, and she had been born of an
indiscretion on her mother's part. Thus, her stepfather favored his
two biological daughters -- the best marriage dowries had to be
provided for them, and Suzanne was not meant to be allowed to take
away from their dowries for her own. I wonder how many women back
then -- even today, in some "3rd-world" nations -- face the same
horrible situation? Diderot REALLY gets inside Suzanne's head and
heart; to read the novel [a translated version, of course; I cannot
read French -- and the translator, a Mr. Tancock, must be an
exceptionally good translator because even *nuances* of ideas and
emotions come roaring out of the pages], one could easily believe it
was a genuinely autobiographical work! There is a moment when
Suzanne, just 20 years old and knowing she has no legal recourse to
getting out of the convent [wherein the Mother Superior is a very
petty, cruel, and stupid person], cries out that she is banging her
head against prison bars, and utters a scream of emotional agony.
Diderot gets ahold of your head, heart and nerves -- I mean, he
REALLY gets under your skin and MAKES YOU FEEL what the character is
going through. He is a professional writer, totally. Yes, as you
mentioned earlier, he is a MODERN writer. The voice which rises from
the pages of _The Nun_ could have been uttered yesterday.

Again, the greatest attribute of _The Nun_ is that it raises social
awareness of abuses committed against a woman for the selfish benefit
of an uncaring family; Suzanne is sacrificed to the desires and wants
of others. Room cannot be made for her; she is not to share in the
family wealth. Though she is beautiful and intelligent, she is not
her stepfather's daughter -- and because of her mother's
indiscretion, she must "pay." She will not share in, nor take away
from, the wealth set aside for her half-sisters. She is then "thrown
away," as Diderot said: "The refuse of society, thrown away into a
convent." Diderot also takes great care to point out all the abuses -
- emotional, psychological, and sexual -- which occur in Suzanne's
environment; especially to women like Suzanne, who are
individualistic and self-willed, and who refuse to bow and conform to
the "group think" environment; who refuse to turn off their minds and
hearts, and "go along with the program." No, Suzanne insisted upon
being her own person, fulfilling her dreams, and -- most importantly --
thinking for herself. A true heroine.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#5 2003-02-15 17:46:33

Phobos

I finished re-reading The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea by Yukio Mishima recently.  It just gets better everytime, my favorite novel by far.  Ecrasez, you might enjoy reading "Villette" by one of the Brontes.  When I took a Victorian Literature class in college as an elective I was expecting to have a borefest, but those novels were actually quite good.  My favorite Victorian novel is "Jude the Obscure."  That book apparently made for a lot of toasty bonfires during the Victorian age.  Has anyone been reading any non-fiction lately?  I have to admit I mostly read non-fiction now, I'm in the middle of "The Gulag Archipelago" written by a guy with unpronounable name and everytime I finish reading a section it makes want to get on my knees and kiss the free dirt beneath my feet.    :;):

To achieve the impossible you must attempt the absurd

#6 2003-02-15 19:48:14

soph

Phobos: was that the one who committed Samurai suicide as a signal to Japan to return to the "old ways" after WW2?

#7 2003-02-15 19:53:31

Palomar

Has anyone been reading any non-fiction lately?

*Yep; I'm currently juggling the following:

1.  Frederick the Great, by Victor Thaddeus.
2.  The Age of Voltaire, by Will & Ariel Durant (huge book).
3.  Tom Paine: America's Godfather, by W. Woodward.
4.  Voltaire, by John Morley.
5.  Denis Diderot, the Encyclopedia: Selections, by Gendzier.
6.  Malesherbes, by John M.S. Allison.

All recommended reading!  big_smile

I'm soon to read or buy:

1.  Mozart:  A Life, by Solomon.
2.  Joseph II (Habsburg, Emperor of Austria).
3.  The Love Letters of Voltaire to Madame Denis.
4.  Benjamin Franklin, by Carl Van Doren (this biography won the Pulitzer Prize).
5.  Rousseau & Revolution, by Will & Ariel Durant.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#8 2003-02-15 20:29:03

Phobos

Phobos: was that the one who committed Samurai suicide as a signal to Japan to return to the "old ways" after WW2?

Yeah, Mishima basically hijacked a building and cried over a loud speaker for the Japanese not to destroy their heritage and then he committed seppuku in the Samurai tradition.  He considered the old aristocratic traditions under the Emperor to be the golden age of Japan and thought Japan was going down hill after Japan was occupied.  He touched on this in his novel "Decay of the Angel."  Have you read "Sailor" by any chance?  A lot of people don't like it but it just spoke to me. I have a lot of pet theories about the book but I don't want to spoil it if you haven't read it. big_smile

Yep; I'm currently juggling the following:

You could probably wipe the floor with most philosophy Ph.D.s out there.  What is "Malesherbes" about?  That term is totally new to me.  What kind of philosophy?

#9 2003-02-15 20:34:49

soph

No, I read a book by him for English-"The Sea" or something.  A young sailor falls in love with a his boss's daughter, and they go to some abandoned artillery tower to bond.  I forget most of it, though.

#10 2003-02-16 11:06:36

Palomar

Me:  Yep; I'm currently juggling the following:

You could probably wipe the floor with most philosophy Ph.D.s out there.

*Well thanks for the vote of confidence, but no...no way.  smile 

What is "Malesherbes" about?  That term is totally new to me.  What kind of philosophy?

*I went back through the "18th Century Age of Enlightenment" folder I started here, thinking I'd previously posted something about Malesherbes, but nope.  Malesherbes was an aristocrat and member of the French Magistry who came to inherit (as things went in that time and place) the position of "chief censor" of France.  However, Malesherbes didn't believe in censorship; he was a proponent of freedom of speech and the press.  However, he was wise and discreet enough not to broadcast his sentiments verbally (which would have gotten removed from his post immediately, of course; however, he was later removed because his superiors figured out his liberal nature due to his actions, i.e. allowing "dangerous" and "heretical" material to come into France); he worked quietly but actively to pass approval on the "controversial and dangerous" writings of Denis Diderot and Montesquieu (the latter of whom wrote "The Spirit of Laws," which was only allowed to be printed and distributed in France because of Malesherbes), Voltaire and others. 

In 1752, when the King of France (who obviously had more authority than Malesherbes) sent out a decree that the unpublished texts and illustrative plates of The Encyclopedia be confiscated (Denis Diderot and Jean le Rond d'Alembert were the editors of the Encyclopedia Project), Malesherbes warned Diderot of the decree having been issued and allowed those "outlawed" texts and plates to be hidden for safekeeping IN HIS OWN HOME!  smile  The King of France, Louis XV, had been influenced by the protests of various religious and conservative secular authorities of the "dangerousness/heretical nature" of the Encyclopedia Project, which is why the decree went out in the first place.  There were other crises as well during the creation/publication of The Encyclopedia...and Malesherbes protected them every way he could.  A lot of written material wouldn't have seen the light of day in France, if it hadn't been for Malesherbes, the "censor" who didn't believe in censorship.  The Encyclopedia -- with its rich storehouse of scientific and philosophical knowledge -- would most likely have been delayed by decades if it hadn't been for Malesherbes.

Malesherbes was, in his early 70s, sent to the guillotine along with his family for volunteering to be lawyer to King Louis XVI, during the French Revolution (Louis XVI's wife was Marie Antoinette, of the famous "let them eat cake" remark).  One of Malesherbes' political principles was that ALL PEOPLE have the right to a fair trial -- from deposed kings to broom makers; this is essentially why he volunteered to act as Louis XVI's lawyer.  He died for his principles...as he had lived for his principles.  He was a very courageous and noble man, with a tremendous amount of integrity.  The book "Malesherbes" is the only biography of him I've yet found; other books relating to the period share information about him, but are not devoted to him.

He's one of my heroes.  Sadly, an unsung hero; I definitely feel a debt of gratitude to him.

The only portrait of him available on the internet is my icon; the image is rather dim, unfortunately.

--Cindy

#11 2003-02-16 15:19:02

Josh Cryer

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged, finally. It's meeting my expectations well. smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#12 2003-02-16 20:11:13

Palomar

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged, finally. It's meeting my expectations well. smile

*What's your impression of it, Josh?  I thought the portrayal of the characters unrealistic; too stereotypical.  However, the speech of "John Galt" is very good and is her philosophy "in a nutshell" (and is worth reading sans the remainder of the book, IMO).

--Cindy

#13 2003-02-16 22:11:37

Josh Cryer

I haven't gotten very far, actually. I've read that John Galts' speech is quite long and redundant, I can't wait to read it! Her writing is actually somewhat drawn out, though. Saying in ten words what could be said in five. She uses words which aren't casual, and are kind of tiresome to read.

I'm tempted to stop where I am and just jump to John Galts' famous speech, but I have decided to just go at my own pace. It will probably take me more than a month to read (since to me, it's not as compelling as I figured it would be).

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#14 2003-02-17 02:49:34

HombrePequeno
InActive

I'm reading The Fountainhead.

<a href="http://www.highliftsystems.com"> High Lift Systems </a>

#15 2003-02-17 20:58:47

Shaun Barrett

I recently read a book about the Turin Shroud which was quite thought provoking. I'm sorry I can't remember the actual title ... something like 'The Shroud Conspiracy'.(? )

Anyway, the point of the story involved the dating of the shroud, which turned out to be somewhere around the 14th century. This led to the assumption that the shroud must be an elaborate fake, though pollen grains were found on it which would normally be found in the Holy Land but not mainland Europe.
    The authors set out evidence that the material given to the various laboratories by the vatican for testing, was NOT from the shroud. Material from a known medieval cloth was deliberately substituted by the Vatican to refute the authenticity of the shroud as the cloth that Christ was wrapped in.
    But why would they do such a thing?

Because the pattern of blood stains on the shroud, which has been examined by people with forensic skills, shows quite conclusively that the body wrapped in that shroud was still bleeding! ... i.e. It was still alive when removed from the cross.

There has been a growing suspicion that the circumstances surrounding the crucifixion of Jesus were very unusual. For instance, he was brought down from the cross after only a few hours, he was given some sort of liquid on a sponge shortly beforehand, and his body was turned over to his family and friends and immediately whisked away.
    Many have concluded from this that Jesus survived the cross. Joseph of Aramathea, a very wealthy local identity with connections in high places within the Roman authority at the time (including a close relationship with Pilate), has been implicated in the plot.

Any evidence from the blood pattern on the shroud that Jesus was definitely alive after the crucifixion would completely undermine the basis of christianity - which is that Jesus died for our sins but defeated death etc.
    Better, then, to discredit the shroud as a fake than to allow it to destroy the foundations of a major world religion.

I found it to be a fascinating and very plausible read. Certainly more plausible to me than the notion of obscure middle eastern prophets rising from the dead!
    But then, I can be a little cynical at times.
                                            :;):

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#16 2003-02-18 07:32:06

George H

1984 by Orwell. Gave me the creeps, but its really good.

#17 2003-02-19 11:21:44

dicktice

The two books I keep re-reading, and recommend highly are:

"Prelude to Space" by Arthur C. Clarke, about the British space program involving nuclear ramjet aircraft launched piggy-backed space plane, very realistically "told" by a diarist hired to document the project, from Woomera in Australia.

"Sliderule" by Neville Shute, about the development of the British airship "R100" development with private funds, in competition with the government funded "R101." The causes of the tragic results of our current space program are recognizable in the flawed managment policies imposed upon the government R101 (a tragic failure), in comparison with the privately managed and financed (spectacularly successful) R100.

#18 2003-02-22 19:12:45

Phobos

*Well thanks for the vote of confidence, but no...no way.

I mean it, considering your intense interest in philosophy and the copious volumes you read and your reflection on them, It wouldn't surprise me a bit if you had at least a Master's degree level knowledge in Enlightenment Era philosophy.  Most of the people in college anyway probably don't explore their particular subjects any further than what they're presented with in their courses unless they get teaching jobs.  To switch gears, I have to say though that Malsherbes would get my vote.  Anybody who kicks censorship laws in the pants has my approval. big_smile

"Prelude to Space" by Arthur C. Clarke, about the British space program involving nuclear ramjet aircraft launched piggy-backed space plane, very realistically "told" by a diarist hired to document the project, from Woomera in Australia.

I'm ashamed to say it, but I've never actually read anything by Arthur C. Clark.  I'm thinking of picking up his space elevator novel because I'm such an SE nut.

#19 2003-02-22 20:51:01

Palomar

I'm ashamed to say it, but I've never actually read anything by Arthur C. Clark.  I'm thinking of picking up his space elevator novel because I'm such an SE nut.

*I highly recommend his novel _Rendezvous with Rama_ as your first Clarke novel.  It is fabulous; Rama is similar to an O'Neill colony (albeit deserted when humans encounter it).  The entire novel is suffused with a pristine yet warm scientific beauty.

--Cindy

#20 2003-02-23 12:29:39

dicktice

Yes, yes..."Rama" is my all-time favorite; but "Prelude" is the only one he wrote that is still germain to the discussions regarding reusable airborne launches into orbit...honest.

#21 2003-02-23 12:38:44

dicktice

I agree with you--about "1984" I mean. Interestingly, there seems to be a consensus that 1984 did not happen as Orwell described it...precisely because he wrote that awful novel about the possibility of it happening!

#22 2003-02-23 12:48:54

soph

1984 was a good book, and in some ways, it did occur.  The Cold War had hints of Oceania and Eastasia until the Soviet Union collapsed on itself.

The problem is, war cannot go on forever-even a fake war.  Too much cost.

Back on topic, anybody read Terry Goodkind's books?  They are very good, imho.  Wonder if another is coming out soon.

#23 2003-02-25 02:02:45

Shaun Barrett

Hi Phobos!
    "The Fountains of Paradise" is the Arthur C. Clarke novel which deals with the space elevator subject - in case you didn't know that already. I'm an elevator enthusiast too so I certainly recommend that one!

I don't know how much in-depth knowledge of the literature is required for a master's degree in Enlightenment Era philosophy (being appallingly ignorant of philosophy in general, myself! ), but I think you must be right that Cindy would be a shoo-in at most universities!
    Anyone who loves a subject as much as Cindy obviously loves hers, couldn't help but do well at it. But then, would turning it into a string of assignments take the shine off it a little bit?!
                                     ???

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#24 2003-02-25 08:53:48

Palomar

Anyone who loves a subject as much as Cindy obviously loves hers, couldn't help but do well at it. But then, would turning it into a string of assignments take the shine off it a little bit?!
                                     ???

*That's a good question.  smile  I actually enjoyed doing assignments, book reports, what-have-you both in school and in college.  So long as the course stays on-topic, I don't doubt I'd still enjoy it.  Of course, I also enjoy going at my own pace and I've learned to allow myself to have fun with my various pursuits.  But the element of deadlines can really get one's fire going (in a positive way), and a formal setting can assist in other ways as well.  I pretty much throw the best of myself into whatever I love, regardless of the approach.  smile

--Cindy

#25 2003-02-25 15:14:31

Pat Galea
Banned
Website

I'm reading the Honor Harrington novels by David Weber. Right now, I'm about halfway through Ashes of Victory.

Very enjoyable military sci-fi in the style of Horatio Hornblower.

I'm also reading:

Cheap Shots by Marc Animal MacYoung (my favorite personal defense author)

Saddam's Bombmaker by Khidir Hamza

the Penguin History of the World

Human Action by Ludwig von Mises (I'm proofreading the electronic version)

Hacking Exposed

Object Oriented Software Construction

Upgrading and Repairing PCs.

And I'm also squeezing in the Harry Potter novels which I didn't get time to read when they came out.

Board footer