New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2002-02-24 16:25:10

marsspacestation
Banned

Re: Would you like to live on Mars? - Tell me what you think?

I for one would! I have scoured the web and can find nothing where people like myself can share their knowledge and work together to obtain such a goal. I would like to build a website like this but I need your help.

What I am thinking is building a website like MSN Communities where everyone interested in this can build and host their own website for FREE (No Banners or Ads). The site will have content like Space.com and Members Only Message boards like this one where people can share ideas on achieving this goal as well as share information on projects they are currently working on.

The site would require Membership status for most of the features like accessing the Message Boards or Members Sites and those memberships would be added to a Project Plan to submit to world governments and large businesses to help garner support for accomplishing this goal.

I believe that if we build such a website and get some media coverage (Shouldn't be too hard to do) that we can in a year or two build up enough support from Businesses and Governments to start Developing Privately the means to make this dream a reality.

So if anyone out here is with me on this please contact me at colbert_richard@hotmail.com and let me know how you can help with this project.

#2 2002-02-24 18:41:17

Adrian
Website

Well, I know of at least one organization that caters for people who want to go to Mars - the Mars Society smile

(New Mars is the official online magazine of the Mars Society)

I would applaud any efforts towards getting more media attention for humans to Mars, but I think setting up another organization may be akin to taking more ferric oxide to Mars; i.e. not really useful. Indeed, setting something up like MSN Communities or YahooGroups for Mars users would be good, but it would involve a fairly large investment to work properly.

Setting up a website is easy (well, okay, not that easy) but it's no replacement for 'real' projects like the Flashline Mars Arctic Research Station, or the station in Utah. I do agree that there needs to be a better web presence for the Mars movement online, and I'm happy to offer New Mars' resources towards this - we have significant excess space and bandwidth for any worthwhile projects - but right now we need tangible projects and realistic goals.

Editor of [url=http://www.newmars.com]New Mars[/url]

#3 2008-03-26 12:02:17

louis

I'd like to have a short stay.  But I wouldn't relish the journey there and back.

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#4 2008-03-27 05:40:33

idiom

Also look at the Red Colony or Mars Drive forums for a bunch of like minded people.

Come on to the Future

#5 2008-03-27 05:45:20

zhar2

Id love to live there, depending on the social nature of the colony its purpose.

#6 2008-03-29 09:20:13

louis

Idiom - Like-minded? We can't even agree how to get there!!!

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#7 2008-04-03 16:42:26

Swoosh

Idiom - Like-minded? We can't even agree how to get there!!!

How we get there doesn't matter. What we really mean is "how do we get someone to decide to fund a mission"? The rest is just details. Nobody bags Apollo because it relied on critical orbital rendezvous, for example.

I for one would probably not like to live on Mars forever, at least not initially. But gee it'd be a great adventure to visit, and I certainly want to live in a world where someone is living on Mars!

#8 2008-04-03 17:10:08

Commodore

I for one eagerly await the day I can travel to and from Earth and Mars, and a few other places within the inner solar system at will as a private citizen.

"Yes, I was going to give this astronaut selection my best shot, I was determined when the NASA proctologist looked up my ass, he would see pipes so dazzling he would ask the nurse to get his sunglasses."
---Shuttle Astronaut Mike Mullane

#9 2008-04-03 21:23:58

Gregori

I'd like to visit, just not live there.

No more than I'd like to live in the attacama or Antartica..

Mars is a very horrible frozen desert right now. Some amount of technology will be required before people can stay on its surface, even in an enclosed space...

I think that terraforming this planet will not be possible for 100s and 1000's of years (If ever...), so we're better of developing technology that allows us to take advantage of the local resources in the most efficient and minimalistic way possible. Humans don't actually need a global ocean or atmosphere to survive on this planet, just enough to subsist.

#10 2008-04-04 00:10:34

Swoosh

Humans don't actually need a global ocean or atmosphere to survive on this planet...

Ah, but we want one!!

#11 2008-04-04 06:07:54

Gregori

Humans don't actually need a global ocean or atmosphere to survive on this planet...

Ah, but we want one!!

I want global peace and justice, doesn't mean its going to happen.

A degree of logic needs to be apllied to plans to colonize Mars. We should approach it in the most pragmatic way possible, not just try to impose Earth like conditions on the planet.

#12 2008-04-05 07:39:58

JoshNH4H
Website

I personally, if given the choice between going to mars for 2 weeks and living there, would choose the second option.

-Josh

Board footer