New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2007-11-25 22:03:30

bstvns139
InActive

Re: For all accomplished scientists

Do you have any advice on what classes to take for students in highschool preparing for scientific careers?

-"you watch the sunset, and I watch the night rise"

#2 2007-11-26 06:48:53

cIclops

Mathematics.

(cIclops is not an accomplished scientist)

[color=darkred]Let's go to Mars and far beyond -  triple NASA's budget ![/color] [url=irc://freenode#space]  #space channel !! [/url] [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/c1cl0ps]   - videos !!![/url]

#3 2007-11-26 11:01:47

SpaceNut
Administrator

If you are looking to work in the selected career local to where you can get the college course then you have a good chance but if there are no jobs then the effort is moot. You will have spent a huge sum to become educated and no way to recoupe the amount.
If you are talking high school then get all the college prep course under your belt that you can.

#4 2007-11-29 19:13:31

samy
Banned
Website

cIclops is right. You will need math almost *everywhere* in science, and quite complex and painful math at that. Especially if you want to get into something like physics (the math makes me want to shoot myself in the head every day). Become as good at math as humanly possible, and university majoring at a science will be MUCH easier...

#5 2008-04-07 19:02:13

Ron Carlson
Banned

Do you have any advice on what classes to take for students in highschool preparing for scientific careers?

Learn how to write scientific and technical English.

Ron Carlson, B.A., M.Sc.

#6 2008-04-13 15:39:10

Earthfirst

Get poor grades and go to a party school where you will shine as the best student compared to the assorted pot smoking loosers that got accepted with you. I went that route and got into grad school, now lots of people think I am some sort of smart guy.

I love plants!

Board footer