New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2002-11-17 14:48:53

dicktice

Re: Phobos and Deimos - Importance of preserving them

Having read: Red Mars and Green Mars and began reading but couldn't finish Blue Mars, I was struck by the cavelier treatment of those two handed-to-us-on-a-platter satellites, which would be so useful in the human exploration and settlement of Mars, not to mention later exploitation(s) I am sure will be apparent.... The "space elevator" proposition would of course place them in jepardy, so my thought it: scrape the elevator, as too vulnerable (see said Mars books) and substitute electromagnetic acceleration ramps on the volcanos, instead.

#2 2002-11-17 17:18:53

Byron

I agree...let's keep those two little moons...

KSR's whole idea of building the space elevator on Mars with the moons in the way was a bit absurd in my opinion...as if that little wiggle-dance that elevator did would inspire confidence to anyone using it - not me! 

I'll stick with good old-fashioned shuttles, thank you very much...  smile

B

#3 2002-11-18 12:51:59

clark

LOL.

A technophile declaring that some technology being "too new, damn fangled contraption of death..."

Back in my days, all we needed was a hundred tons of chemical propellant and a few years- now all you kids got them danged newclear rockets and you're whizzing to and fro- so I asks ya, what's the rush? We used to take our time, enjoy the radiation- you younguns don't have no respect for the old ways. Dang nabbit. 

tongue

Board footer