New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2002-11-07 01:47:27

Themescules
Banned

Re: Happy Birthday Dr. Smith- Nov. 6th

I mean't to post this earlier, I want to take this time to wish Dr. Smith (Jonathan Harris) of Lost in Space fame a Happy 85th Birthday, Nov. 6th 1917. Now the sad news, he died this past Sunday from a blood clot to his heart while receiving treatment for chronic back pain, remember his "Delicate back was a Disaster area"! big_smile But I would like to take this time to celebrate his life as probably the most beloved person we loved to hate. The Dr. Smith character was one of the best of all time. Here's a little Trivia for ya, In the credits of LIS, Harris had his name as "Special Guest Star", this is a title we see very often on alot of TV shows, he is actually given offical credit for creating that Title.

So if any of you Lost In Space fans have any Special memories of Dr. Smith's antics please share them!

Themescules

"Death is the Answer to all the Questions Humanity has wondered and will always wonder about!"

#2 2002-11-07 09:11:58

Palomar

*Hear, hear!  A wonderful actor.  I used to watch re-runs of "Lost in Space" on a neighbor's cable television, as a little kid; and very few people had cable TV back then [early 1970s], in my neck of the woods.  He was the incomparable Dr. Smith, and had such a screen presence; you couldn't ignore him, and the more he vexed you the more you wanted to watch his every move.  smile

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#3 2002-11-27 05:14:15

Shaun Barrett

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SETHMCKINESS !!!

smile

Hope you have a great day, and many more of them to come!

[Rather than make a new thread for every new birthday,
      I just grabbed this one because it's the most recent
      birthday thread.
      How would everyone feel about using just this one section
      for all future birthday greetings? Or if you'd all rather do
      your own thing, that's fine too.]

tongue

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#4 2002-12-02 11:02:43

Themescules
Banned

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SETHMCKINESS !!!

smile

Hope you have a great day, and many more of them to come!

[Rather than make a new thread for every new birthday,
      I just grabbed this one because it's the most recent
      birthday thread.
      How would everyone feel about using just this one section
      for all future birthday greetings? Or if you'd all rather do
      your own thing, that's fine too.]

tongue

Well this post was made to honor Dr. Smith of Lost in Space Fame who suddenly passed away and had a Birthday 3 days later. I was hoping more people who were fans of the show and of his antics would have commented. But I see nothing wrong with using "MY" post as a Birthday greeting point. Either that or you can start a new thread. So to end this Shaun, you have "MY" permission.

"Death is the Answer to all the Questions Humanity has wondered and will always wonder about!"

#5 2002-12-03 00:47:09

Shaun Barrett

Humble apologies, Themescules!    sad

Since you started this thread for a specific purpose, I should really have gone to you first for approval of my suggestion.

It's very magnanimous of you to overlook my diplomatic indiscretion and smile upon the proposal!

Now I suppose all we have to do is wait and see whether everybody else is happy with it.

Thanksalot and, as we say here in Australia by way of a blessing, "Good on ya, mate!!"
                                          smile

The word 'aerobics' came about when the gym instructors got together and said: If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it Jumping Up and Down.   - Rita Rudner

#6 2002-12-08 06:49:10

Shaun Barrett

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, RONMAN !!!

A thousand blessings upon you on this auspicious occasion ... may your progeny outnumber the stars!! (I think that's an ancient arabic benediction .. ! )

50 is a fine age to be. You still have health and vigour (we hope and assume) but have attained the wisdom of maturity.
    Long may you live and long may you give support to The Mars Society!
                                       big_smile

[This message is brought to you courtesy of Themescules.]

#7 2003-03-03 06:11:36

Shaun Barrett

And a Happy Birthday to you also, Mars Revival!!
                                    smile

... that's if you still hang around these parts any more. I don't remember hearing much from you lately.
    Why don't you drop in more often and say 'hello' now and then? There's always room for more points of view.
                                      cool

[Again, this message is brought to you courtesy of Themescules.]

#8 2003-03-04 19:04:57

Shaun Barrett

Happy Birthday, Noctis!!

20 years old, eh?!
    I was 20 myself, once ... small world, huh?!!
                                             tongue

#9 2003-03-20 00:06:12

Shaun Barrett

Happy Birthday Soph!!
    And Happy Birthday for last week, Echus Chasma!!

Hope you have (had) a great day!!!
                                                       smile

#10 2003-03-20 02:39:14

Josh Cryer

Hey, happy birthday soph, got your learners permit yet? Driving around and stuff?

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#11 2003-03-20 07:02:20

Palomar

Happy Birthday Soph!!
    And Happy Birthday for last week, Echus Chasma!!

Hope you have (had) a great day!!!
                                                       smile

*Yes, happy belated birthday to Echus (I apparently wasn't online during your birthday, Echus -- sorry) and happy birthday to Soph! 

Josh reminds us of getting our driver's permit/license.  How well I remember my 16th birthday (okay...ancient history to some people here, who weren't even born yet) and taking my first drive sans parents.  Yes, I remember the car, the road, the sunny day...fun.  I've always loved driving.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#12 2003-03-20 11:19:03

Josh Cryer

I was driving stuff to the dump when I was 15. smile

We lived literally in the middle of nowhere, though, so it wasn't a big deal. I've always loved driving. I can't really remember my first drive to the dump alone, but I can remember practically every cross country trip I've ever taken. Which is a lot, I've driven, from LA to Seattle to Norfolk. Draw a triangle on a map between those two points, and I've even lived in a few of those states!

I love driving too. smile

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#13 2003-03-26 07:06:04

Palomar

*Happy birthday, Rex Carnes!  big_smile

--Cindy

#14 2003-03-27 01:58:22

Shaun Barrett

I'll second that, Cindy!!   smile

And many happy returns, Rex!

#15 2003-03-27 08:34:09

dicktice

Gosh--I sure wish it was my birthday.... I usually I go off and hide from whoever's miguided plot to "surprise" me with a party, until those in the know forget about it for another year. But here, amongst my invisible colleagues, who don't mind being bored by each other's goings-on (and on, and on) about their obsession (I'm referring to Mars, of course).... I wouldn't mind being wished "happy birthday" from a bunch like that.  (Oh, how I do go on, when I get sentimental.) So, happy birthday to you all--before hand--and many boring (Mars) returns of the day! Did I miss anyone?

#16 2003-05-17 07:06:23

George H

Happy b-day Cindy!! I know its tomorow but I won't be home. So this is a day early!! I hope you have a nice day!!!

@--)--------
@--}------
@--}--------

#17 2003-05-17 23:38:55

Josh Cryer

Ahh, yes, happy birthday Cindy! smile

--------

#18 2003-05-18 12:57:02

Palomar

*Thanks guys!  My husband sure is spoiling me today!  big_smile

--Cindy

#19 2003-06-01 07:53:44

Shaun Barrett

Uh-oh!!
    I don't know where I was on May 18th, but somehow I managed to overlook Cindy's birthday.   yikes

A thousand apologies, Cindy! Hope you had a fabulous day - good to hear your husband was spoiling you.
                                      smile

#20 2003-06-01 10:22:11

Palomar

Uh-oh!!
    I don't know where I was on May 18th, but somehow I managed to overlook Cindy's birthday.   yikes

A thousand apologies, Cindy! Hope you had a fabulous day - good to hear your husband was spoiling you.
                                      smile

*Aw, that's sweet of you Shaun.  Yes, I had a very wonderful day.  smile 

--Cindy

P.S.:  My NEXT birthday will be my LAST birthday...I'm stopping at 39, kids!  wink

#21 2003-06-20 09:39:16

Palomar

*HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHAUN!

It's still 6/20 here (and in the mid-morning), but it's already the 21st in Australia.  If I waited to congratulate you until it's the 21st *here*, it'd be belated or very close to.  Whew...that time difference!

Enjoy the cake and ice cream (or however you Aussies party)!

:laugh:   smile   

--Cindy

#22 2003-06-20 15:15:57

Echus_Chasma
Website

Enjoy the cake and ice cream (or however you Aussies party)!

A couple of kangaroo steaks on the BBQ and a drive in the Holden Rodeo.  tongue

Happy birthday dude.

[url]http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Echus[/url]

#23 2003-06-20 19:38:17

Shaun Barrett

Thanks heaps!
    It's very thoughtful of you to take the time to send greetings.    smile
    I've been trying to keep a low profile with birthdays ever since about 8 years ago!!!
                                      tongue

But, in spite of that, it is nice to be remembered. You're all a good bunch of people here at New Mars. Thanks again!
                                        smile

#24 2003-06-30 00:59:55

Shaun Barrett

Many Happy Returns of the day, Robert!!
    Only another 59 years 'til you get your telegram from the Queen!
                                      :laugh:

#25 2003-06-30 14:41:48

Palomar

*Happy birthday, Robert Dyck!  Party, party!  smile

--Cindy

Board footer