New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2015-06-01 18:09:02

louis

Mars Missions comparison

NOTE: Edited to update document (now includes Space X).

As promised some time ago (!) I've begun a  Mars Mission comparison document which people might find useful -

http://www.docdroid.net/137mm/mars-miss … f.pdf.html

[NOTE: You have to click "view PDF" in the top right hand of the page to view it properly]

So far it's only got Mars One, Boeing and (my own) Fast Track to Mars.

If anyone wants to post analyses here of any other proposals, I will be happy to include them in the document and I intend to do some more myself (beginning with Space X). All you have to do is summarise the mission under the following headings in a post here and I will add it into the document:

1. Mission Size (Number of people to be landed)

2. Pre-Mission content (e.g. demonstrations, communications satellites, and pre-landing of equipment etc).

3. Launch details (how many launches, when, how much tonnage etc)

4. Transit to Mars (details of transit arrangements)

5. EDL/ascent and return

6. Energy and life support (what will be the energy source and how will life be maintained)

7. Mission Content (what will the people do on Mars)

8. Cost and income analysis (what would be the cost and who would fund it)

9. Other aspects (any other aspects of interest).

Last edited by louis (2015-06-11 17:34:08)

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#2 2015-06-11 17:35:41

louis

Re: Mars Missions comparison

Reposting this as I have updated the link. 

The comparison document now includes Space X's proposals.

If you wish to add in details of other mission proposals, follow the format set out in the post above.

#3 2015-06-22 18:24:58

louis

If anyone would like to suggest a mission plan for analysis, please let me know...

#4 2015-06-22 20:28:03

SpaceNut
Administrator

The one that has all the pieces and funds will win, whether we have the big dumb rocket or smaller manageable chunk launcher it still comes down to transport to orbit, the habitat for the duration of 0 G amd then the eventual ability to land do science plus live to return back home. The individual costs and final price that will not only influence the designs but the content that is learned along the way.

Board footer