New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2013-02-19 17:10:02

Void

More credible than Cold Fusion, and maybe a source of Nitrogen

I encountered this article from Physorg.com which although speculative in the largely uncredited area of cold fusion, never the less to me is interesting to consider.

http://phys.org/news/2013-02-nuclear-re … ement.html

The parts that interest me are that the information suggests that in theory, a resonance of electrons could concentrate a force that could enable this process, the article also says that achieving that is particularly hard.

They more or less suggest that Nickle can be converted to Copper with Hydrogen as an aditional actor, and that a energy gain might occur.  They also suggest the conversion of Carbon to Nitrogen, but give no indication of an energy gain (Or to the negitive).

Mars having an atmosphere currently approximately 1/3 Carbon, and likely from the isotope information I have seen having Carbon stored somewhere, a greater source of Carbon. Nickle being availble in current existing impacts to Mars, and also in the asteroid belt, it is an interesting matter.  Carbon is also available from the asteroid belt.

A source of Nitrogen perhaps and also just possibly a source of energy?

I guess the part that made it a bit possible to me is this:

"Several labs have blown up studying LENR and windows have melted," according to Dennis Bushnell, Langley's chief scientist, in an article he wrote for NASA's Future Innovation website. This, he wrote, indicates that "when the conditions are 'right' prodigious amounts of energy can be produced and released." But it's also an argument for the approach that the Langley researchers favor: master the theory first.

I suppose the machine and it's energy input might have done that, but still Phys.org and NASA are somewhat involved.  I have to wonder.

Of course to convert that much Carbon to Nitrogen, you would then generate large amounts of energy.  For my thinking in that case, then you melt the polar ice caps into an ice covered ocean in the North, and a series of ice covered lakes in the south.

Add salt, and you have Antarctic dry valley lakes capable of capturing solar energy, and perhaps of a biosphere.

This would likely be assisted by other terraforming tricks.

And maybe an O2 + N2 atmosphere.

Last edited by Void (2013-02-19 17:19:16)

Done.

#2 2013-03-02 06:35:53

Terraformer
Website

Re: More credible than Cold Fusion, and maybe a source of Nitrogen

This LENR business is interesting. I was expecting it to rapidly fade away, but it seems to not be ruled out yet... it does appear like there is something happening there.

Though, if you can make elements as you desire, why stop at Nitrogen? Generate Sulphur and Fluorine and produce SF6. For small bodies, manufacture copious amounts of Xenon.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#3 2024-01-13 10:44:04

tahanson43206

For Void re dormant topic ....

It is cold in much of the Northern Hemisphere on Earth....

I was able to do some outside work yesterday, and the overnight freeze has put a stop to ** that **.

I looked for topics on NewMars that include the word "cold" and found a lot of reminders of Louis and his fascination with Cold Fusion.

Your topic looked interesting, so I decided to bring it back into view.  Perhaps there might be an update to your report, since 2013?

I was surprised to note your mention of conversion of Nickel to Copper, because we just ran a series in the forum on that very topic.  The traditional way of making the isotope that decays to Copper is impractical with today's technology, but since you had included that transmutation in your topic from 2013, I thought it might be worth looking at it again.

In a nutshell, assuming you did not read the Nickel-Copper topic, there is only ** one ** isotope that decays to copper, and the isotope that is needed to make ** that ** isotope is very rare.  Plus! the process to make the needed isotope is complex and very inefficient.  In short, the traditional way of making the needed isotope is not a good match with the potential market opportunity.

(th)

#4 2024-01-13 13:24:52

Void

I seem more than a little foolish in that post.  I guess only thinking you understand a bit can put you into that sort of situation.

But it does remind me of the Hybrid Fission/Fusion that Calliban has spoken of, so maybe not all is lost for the effort.

I do have a question of if a planet can get water into its deeps and if such a planet has decaying radioactive materials, can on rare occasions some fusion of Deuterium occur inside of a planet?

Take for instance Jupiter.  Probably has everything needed to do it, but not at a level that would make the planet shine like a star.  But it does shine in infrared, and it does have Helium, which probably is primordial in origin, but still, just because it would be very slow, perhaps it happens a little?

Will Brown Dwarfs cool off completely ever, if it were true?

But of course more likely I am only foolish.

Done.

Last edited by Void (2024-01-13 13:29:07)

Done.

Board footer