New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2008-04-07 23:00:59

Swoosh

Re: Motorbikes

Here's an idea to sex-up the public perception of a Mars mission - Imagine four spacesuited dudes tearing across some rusty Martian plain on dirt-bikes - it's the kind of thing that would capture the public imagination like nothing else.

I also think they would make a very effective transport system. Zubrin's Case For Mars budgeted 800 kilos for two open rovers. You could easily build FOUR dirtbikes for about half that mass. And they'd be fast, light, maneuverable, easy to maintain, and simple to develop (all it would take would be a CH4/O2 engine and a separate tank for the O2).

(obviously this would be in addition to a pressurised rover - you won't be going for long-distance trips on bikes)

#2 2008-04-08 14:21:40

Terraformer
Website

That would look, cool?

Check out the Bikes on Mars thread.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#3 2020-08-24 13:07:29

SpaceNut
Administrator

Surely there has been engine performance work done with these fuels for a mars environment... Devon Island would come to mind for a particle use...

#4 2020-08-24 15:02:05

tahanson43206

For SpaceNut re bringing this topic back to life ...

Since 2008, electric motorcycles have moved from wispy notions to main stream hardware, and I expect that trend will continue for some time.

There is no need to think about internal combustion engines in Mars transport.

I think this (restored) topic is worth adding to My Hacienda, either stand alone or as part of a vehicle manufacturing enterprise.

(th)

#5 2020-08-24 16:13:38

SpaceNut
Administrator

Yes they have come along ways in being able to pack a lot of power into the batteries and with computerized timing for the motor drive circuits we get a quick pick up in speed.

One thing to note is we need a garage structure to pull these vehicles into in order to be able to work on them with short sleeves....

There is plenty of room for the ICE but early on its going to be batteries and motorized wheels.

Board footer