New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#1 2006-06-20 11:44:12

daverock4
InActive

Re: what`s really on Mars

I`m no Scientist but everytime i go on a site which purports to have found something significant on Mars, there is always another one to contradict it - often on the same site !     I know that Scientists disagree to some extent but can anyone, AT LAST,  tell me if the Martian poles are made up of water: how thick they are, does it really snow Co2 in winter there, are there really glaciers in the equatorial regions:  and how does water behave on Mars...?   can liquid water really run ??   Does it explode ?   Does it drift away into space ?  are there clouds of water ?   could there really be loads of water a few feet under ground ?  and why did it not evaporate with the rest ?    Or is all this "proof" really just conjecture to keep our suspense and interest ?    There is oviously something white and reflective on the poles but what exactly is it all about ?  Thank you.

#2 2006-06-20 16:16:03

llad
Banned

The Martian poles are made of both CO2 and water ice.  The water ice is pemanent,  stacked in layers; and reaches a thickness of ~9000' in the North and ~10,000' in the South.  Yes, it does appear that it snows CO2 at the poles.

I would strongly recommend that you read A Travelers' Guide to Mars by William Hartmann. .  It is well written for the layman and should answer nearly all the questions that you ask.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076112 … oding=UTF8

#3 2006-08-10 18:23:04

SRAM
Banned

I believe that inside of MARS there is an abundance of water and life.

SRAM

[b]JESUS IS GOD[/b]

Board footer