New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2004-05-20 09:19:18

Palomar

Re: Radio ID'd Teabags - ...technohelp for elderly

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/robot-04j.html]Click

*Tech options for the graying population.

Brit robot entertains by playing games.

Robobears in Japan reminding their owners when to take medications, relaying voicemail from loved ones, greet them by name.  Japanese researchers working on "exoskeleton" to aid people in walking. 

Sanyo's robotic bath, i.e. a "washing machine" for frail people to sit in.  Etc.

"...the raft of new technologies designed to help old and infirm people lead independent lives."

Debate regarding human-oriented care versus increased technology assistance raised.  I think, combined with the human factor, these are wonderful alternatives.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#2 2004-05-20 11:46:50

Mundaka
Banned

neutral

Macte nova virtute, sic itur ad astra

#3 2004-05-20 12:13:37

Palomar

*Hi Mundaka.  I understand where you're coming from; in my first post I said:  "I think, combined with the human factor, these are wonderful alternatives."

Sad thing is, lots of families aren't close.  Just trying to be practical here:  If I were elderly right now, I'd rather have a robot's assistance in my own home and that Japanese exoskeleton to help me get around, etc. -- allowing me to remain independent and in my own home -- than have impersonal and impatient human staff buzzing around me in a nursing home. 

Like the article says:  "People are far less concerned about technology intruding on their lives if the alternative is boredom or a loss of independence, he says."

I suppose you've seen/read/heard the scandal in El Paso recently, regarding the eldercare agency who is supposed to be checking on old folks?  One old woman (apparently quite senile) was living in her car because she'd somehow packed so much refuse in her home she couldn't get in anymore.  An old man living in a dilapidated shed with no running water, etc...where are their families?  Where are the eldercare personnel? 

I agree that it'd be great for families to be closer, caring, attentive, etc.  If that doesn't happen, these technologies can provide and assist.  I do suppose, however, that the added technology might -encourage- the young and healthy to further levels of apathy with regards their elders, but the well-being, independence, and safety of the elderly comes first and foremost.  If their families don't provide it -- or those idiots in El Paso with that agency, who have a lot of nerve going on camera with their mewling and pathetic "explanations" as to why some elderly folks are living like veritable hermits while "under their care" -- who will?

I'd want these options, if I were 80 years old with a cold and uncaring family.

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#4 2004-05-20 12:15:22

Cobra Commander

I have to agree with Mundaka's sentiments here overall. These developments look good on paper, when one wants to see the best. What was it the road to Hell is paved with?

Ah, right. Good intentions.

But maybe that's giving it too much credit. It seems to me, and I stress that it's probably just a general trend rather than a conspiracy of some sort, that individual human beings are being treated, viewed and 'administered' as though they are merely cogs in the social machine.

In short, the young shouldn't be wasting their time taking caring of their parents. They should be working and paying taxes.

Now I'm not saying that technology is inherently bad, far from it. There are legitimate benefits of all the examples Cindy mentioned. But I'm concerned that like so many other 'conveniences' we'll rush to embrace this too soon and not think about the consequences until someone gets arrested for pirating a DVD or smoking a joint under the watchful eyes of Grandma's robot attendant.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#5 2004-05-20 15:19:18

Cobra Commander

Sad thing is, lots of families aren't close.  Just trying to be practical here:  If I were elderly right now, I'd rather have a robot's assistance in my own home and that Japanese exoskeleton to help me get around, etc. -- allowing me to remain independent and in my own home -- than have impersonal and impatient human staff buzzing around me in a nursing home.

I definately see your perspective on this. If I live long enough to be old and forgotten I want a robot helping out over some contracted human help. Hell, I want several robots. Big ones, with friggin' lasers!  big_smile  but that's another rant...

We just need to make sure the technology isn't subverted for other uses. No centralized control or storage.

EDIT: mad, rambling rant deleted. Had a monster headache, better now.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Board footer