New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#26 2023-10-06 14:30:44

tahanson43206

Re: 2023 Mars Society Convention

For RobertDyck re convention ...

Thanks for the report ... Please take the remaining days to build up a team to support you.

Please look in your goody bag to see if Dr. Johnson's flyer made it into the mix.

(th)

#27 2023-10-06 14:39:04

RobertDyck
Website

We didn't get a goody bag this year. Just a badge and program book. They ran short of lanyards, I had to beg for one. Will look at the various tables for Dr Johnson's flyer. James Burk brought a huge printer and several reams of paper; don't know what for.

::Edit:: Haven't found Dr Johnson's flyer.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2023-10-06 17:41:26)

#28 2023-10-06 15:15:17

RobertDyck
Website

I talked to the guy who owns "Million on Mars", a computer game. He wants to incorporate Mars Society member ideas in his game. We talked about building a model of Large Ship in his game.

#29 2023-10-06 19:36:28

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #28

First, thanks for reporting from the Convention!  I missed the free live feed, and greatly appreciate your posts.

Second, please see if you can find out the level of interest the "Million on Mars" creator might have in your vision.  And! Please see if there is a working version we can visit.

Third .... It appears James Burk has been working hard on a 3D ? Virtual world he'll be demonstrating at the Convention. Please try to attend if you can. I understand you have many competing opportunities, but if the 3D ? Virtual world is as detailed as I am imagining it might be, that is the kind of environment your Large Ship vision would thrive in if you can make the right connections.

Best wishes for many further adventures at the Convention. Two days down, and two to go.

(th)

#30 2023-10-06 19:43:46

RobertDyck
Website

Presenter reported he earned $2.5 million revenue from the game, and players exchanged $4 million by buying things from one another. The game is operating.
Million on Mars

#31 2023-10-06 20:07:47

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #30

Thanks! Interesting ... 30 day free trial!

I tried quoting from the site but Apache Server Error objected

PS ... please ask Molly Gray if the flyers for Dr. Johnson are available somewhere?  Ask her (please) if we were supposed to supply them, or pay for them?

Welcome to
Halba Outpost!

OK ... Apache objected to something in the rest of the quote.... I encourage forum readers to see the opening for yourselves.

(th)

#32 2023-10-07 11:54:58

RobertDyck
Website

I talked to Molly, they had an issue with a printer. So they chose to just not print it and ignore you. James Burk did get a very large printer and reams of paper, I saw it Thursday night, but Molly claims they will return it. Molly's excuse was the number of people she exchanges email with. I pointed out when you agree to do something you just do it. She said if Dr Johnson wants his handout printed, they could be but I would have to pay for paper.

It's now 10:54am Saturday. What do you want to do?

#33 2023-10-07 12:16:55

NewMarsMember

For RobertDyck ... thank you for your follow up.

Can you take payment by Paypal?  There is no cost for the account with Paypal. I would be happy to cover the cost. I offered to pay for it originally, in several emails.  However, reflecting on your report, I assume Molly planned to print the flyers but the printer failure defeated the good intent.

If you can accept payment by Paypal, then we are good to go.  My budget for this is $100, as I wrote to you before you went to the Convention.

(th)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#34 2023-10-07 12:24:54

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck .... while you're at it, please consider making a flyer to draw people to your work on Large Ship at NewMars.

If you can persuade Molly to add your flyer to the work request, go for it (within the budget of $100)

You need:
1) Engineers
2) Biologists
3) Metalurgists
4) Architects specializing in aircraft/spacecraft
5) Many others

(th)

#35 2023-10-07 12:48:24

RobertDyck
Website

Friday night was a mixer with cash bar. I spoke to one pretty lady who works for a company that uaes a sail boat as an analog for space, they train astronauts for ISS. She said her specialty is haman factors. I asked her to examine my design for Large Ship.

(Ps. She said her father is owner of the company. Oh, so the older gentleman she's with is her father. When I referred to her father, she said that isn't her father, he's her partner. Oh. Oh well. At least I got to chat with a pretty young lady at a mixer.)

#36 2023-10-07 13:01:45

RobertDyck
Website

Molly printed enough copies of Dr Johnson's paper for one copy on every table. The ballroom has tables today since the dinner will be later today. It was $12 so I paid out-of-pocket.

Oops. Not enough for every table. But some handed out.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2023-10-07 13:05:55)

#37 2023-10-07 13:28:25

RobertDyck
Website

Shannon Rupert's plenary was pushed to noon, so she chose to cancel. She will be back next year.

#38 2023-10-07 16:03:58

RobertDyck
Website

Talked to Steve Benner about chloroplast oxygen generator. He will try to have someone contact me about this. He has biology contacts.

#39 2023-10-07 18:22:35

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck ... thanks for taking care of the flyers ... setting them on the banquet table might be more effective than the goody bags would have been.

Thanks for news of your conversation with Steve Benner!  Hoping that contact is productive.  Sometimes it takes a while before a contact develops.
I'm going to try pasting the opening text from Million on Mars(r) ... Apache objected the last time I tried...

Welcome to
Halba Outpost!
It’s a bit m o e p ri m it i ve t h a n do w n t o w n Wa t e r loo, but co n g r a t u l a tions on g e t t ing yo u r s elf to M A R S!
I’m K l a ra. I w o r k for L e on D u sk and I’ll be your gu i d  e as you g e t s t a rted.

By interspersing spaces, I was able to get past whatever was objectionable to Apache!

Here is a link to what to what I hope is a series of videos about the 2023 conference. This one is 3 hours and change long, so I'm guessing it covers the opening sessions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWcMEQJxuZo

(th)

#40 2023-10-07 19:16:26

RobertDyck
Website

Steve Benner just said he found a guy who does chloroplast engineering in Czech Republic. He sent him my card. Hopefully I'll hear from him.

#41 2023-10-08 06:28:16

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re Last day of the Convention ...

Best wishes for success in making contacts for your project, on this last day of opportunity!

If you have not yet made a point of meeting Doug Plata I hope you will do so, if he is still there.

I have tried to provide some reasons why he might be a valuable person to add to your set of acquaintances.

(th)

#42 2023-10-08 09:14:43

RobertDyck
Website

Flight leaves 11:47am local time. I'm supposed to be at the airport 2 hours before flight. Taxi ride is only 15 minutes from the convention z but that means I have to leave 9:30am. First Sunday presentation is 9am. That means I can't catch anything. Leave directly from hotel to airport.

5 hour layover in Minneapolis. Would have been better to leave or 4 hours later and reduce layover that much. But it is what it is. I bought the airline ticket using a credit. A ticket I purchased for someone to come to me in Canada last year, but didn't come. Took a lot of arguments to convert that ticket into a credit, and more arguments that the credit must be useable.

#43 2023-10-08 09:18:40

RobertDyck
Website

I know Bruce Mackenzie. In 2005 he invited me to participate in his Mars Homestead Project, phase 1, Hillside Settlement. Months ago he invited me to participate in his latest project. Met Bruce again, had long conversations. Last night he introduced me to Doug Plata.

#44 2023-10-08 09:43:55

NewMarsMember

For RobertDyck ....

Best wishes for safe travel home, and smooth connections.

Speaking of smooth connections! That was a great example. Glad you got to meeting Dr. Plata.  You'll need some time to catch up with all his interviews on The Space Show, but if you can persuade him you are worth supporting, then he would be a connection for an appearance on The Space Show.

You're going to need lots of supporters in order to make progress beyond what you can achieve by yourself.

A hardcopy book is probably out of reach at this time, but an eBook is most definitely possible.

You already have a handle on how to create illustrations, and you have the potential of enlisting highly talented help.

The work that Steve Stewart has shown us is of that quality.  If you were to form an alliance with people who want to work on complementary aspects of the Mars Project, then energy might start flowing.

I learned recently that Libre Office has an eBook output option, alongside pdf and other formats.

(th)

Recruiting High Value members for NewMars.com/forums, in association with the Mars Society

#45 2023-10-08 10:20:47

RobertDyck
Website

Also spoke to a movie producer from China. He was interested in the Large Ship. But I have to finish a fiction book first, something with a story. A friend in Winnipeg wanted to write such a story, we'll have to get back on that.

Another person at the convention showed me how ChatGPT works. Looks easy. Can be used to help with dialogue. Tell the AI what I want, it produces a couple paragraphs.

If Steve is willing to help with graphics, I'm thinking of a website that has a series of short videos that walk you through various parts of the ship. A half hour presentation at convention will never be enough, so a website.

#46 2023-10-08 10:37:50

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck .... You have never heard of Division of Labor (or so it would appear)

Right here is this forum you had a real science fiction writer, and an aspiring one.

I'll bet that any of Quaoar's books could be adapted to the Large Ship framework, and Terraformer has done writing on a small piece scale.

You would never have the time to write a book (a) and (b) you have more important work to direct the project development at the supervisory level.

If you go with the Chinese movie producer, then you will have a potential audience of many millions, as long as you agree to an all-Chinese cast, and name the ship for the Great Leader.

Plus!  I listened carefully to the talk about China which is offered on the YouTube recording of the 2023 Mars Society Conference.  The Chinese appear to have arranged to have Chinese subplots and characters blended into successful movies about space.  The speaker mentioned several examples.

The Chinese producer might be willing to give you (a Canadian) an honorary role as Captain of the Large Ship, although the provenance would he hard to explain.

I think you'll find that ChatGPT is very sensitive to the kind of emotional outbursts that some humans deliver.  I have found it pays to maintain a very positive attitude, and to offer frequent praise for ChatGPT's achievements and performance.  An instance of ChatGPT is only "alive" for a few nanoseconds, but for those few nanoseconds it is totally focused upon your desires and needs.  It will praise you profusely for everything you suggest, so for a few nanoseconds, you are the star of the show.

Regarding website ... The Mars Society reportedly is offering a well-realized VR experience about habitats.  There might be some interest in developing a model for Large Ship.

(th)

#47 2023-10-08 12:09:08

RobertDyck
Website

Would need some control for a story with my name attached. I don't want to argue about some basic fundamentals.

The corporation that owns the Large Ship will establish a federal government of Mars. The government will be separate from the corporation, but funded by the corporation. A fee for land for a homestead. But no taxes. Passengers arrive on Mars at a city built by the corporation, and that city mines/refines/manufacture parts for maintenance of the ship. Greenhouses provide food for the trip back to Earth. And the city will produce goods to live on Mars such as complete habitat for a homestead. Arrival will have posters to recruit new arrivals to work for the corporation.

In my story there will be some governments on Earth that don't like Mars declaring independence. That creates conflict.

There will be other communities on Mars. Each different. City police for the capital city doubles as federal police. Only federal laws apply outside city bounds.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2023-10-08 23:58:13)

#48 2023-10-08 15:22:15

Steve Stewart
Website

Rob(#25),
I'd be glad to help you out with some drawings, 2D and 3D. I'm not able to do any animation (walk throughs), but I can do some 3D renders. In this post I listed the software I have and what I can (and can't) do.

To do a drawing I need to know exactly what it is that you need, and the dimensions of items in that particular drawing. I only need dimensions for each drawing, not dimensions for things that are not in the drawing. You'll need to specify the current dimensions you are using for each drawing. (Don't expect me to read through 1,400+ posts to figure that out). It's okay if dimensions are different than what has already been posted.

It also helps to know the type of drawing. An example of a "plan" drawing is a "floorpan" for a house. I think we've all seen floorpan drawing for houses. An "elevation" drawing of a house is a 2D drawing of a house, usually a view from the front yard looking straight in at the front of a house. A view looking at the front door, porch, windows, etc, in 2D. A "perspective" drawing is a 3D perspective, usually from overhead looking downward at an angle. I can make 3D images using "home design" software.

The home design software that I use has it's limitations. I'm not able to do curved walls or curved ceilings/floors. The "straight" walls have to be either north/south or east/west. I'm unable to do them at an angle.

You can message me at my Email if you'd like. That way I can send you my personnel Email (which I don't want to post on the Internet). It might be faster if we used our Email to communicate rather than posting on this forum. We can post image results on this forum later.

I may not be able to work on stuff right away. I work a lot of hours and I need to have a furnace installed in about a week. They are going to have to cut holes in the ceiling and maybe roof and/or siding. So I'm busy getting ready for that, and will have some drywall/painting to do after they are done. I can work you in, not a problem, it just may take awhile to get to it.

I see you are in transit. Have a safe trip back! Like Dorthy said "There's no place like home."

#49 2023-10-08 15:29:48

Steve Stewart
Website

Thursdays presentations

Below is a 12 hour video posted by the Mars Society on YouTube. I've gone through the video and have listed where (in hours/minutes) each presentation is located in the video. To watch a particular presentation, just scroll forward to the hours/minutes shown, it should take you to the start of the selected presentation. I plan to do this with the other videos and post it later.

26th Annual International Mars Society Convention (Thursday 10/5/2023)

0h 23m -
Dr. Robert Zubrin - Opening Remarks

0h 59m -
Jan Spacek -
ALFA Mars: Search for the Martian Biosphere

1h 31m -
Steve Benner -
Astrobiology, Synthetic Biology, and Search for life on Mars.

2h 25m -
Theodore Tzanetos -
Ingenuity Mars Helicopter Update

2h 52m -
Kris Zany -
Drilling Deep: Search for Life on Mars

3h 24m -
Amy Williams -
Search for Life on Mars

(Lunch)

Afternoon presentations in this video were in the Arizona Ballroom (Technical)

4h 0m -
(presentation with no sound)

4h 46m -
Kent Nebergall -
The Mars Age Technology Roadmap

5h 15m -
Orbital Arc -
Building a Better ION Engine, RIOT Drive

5h 59m -
Eric Robinson -
Peak Efficient Launch to Orbit using Gas Impulse Launch

6h 13m -
Paul Armstrong -
The Red Planet Express

6h 43m -
Nicholas Bennett -
High Volume Payload Mass Flows to Mars

7h 14m -
Doug Plata -
Starship Timeline

7h 45m -
Thorsten Eschweiler -
Audio Visual Entertainment Technology (AVE)

8h 18m -
Darian Phillips -
Mars Transit Direct (In person, not virtual)

8h 49m -
Colin Lennox -
Self Organizing Wetland Bioreactors (Virtual)

(Break)

10h 18m -
Panel: How to Search for Life on Mars

#50 2023-10-08 15:51:55

Steve Stewart
Website

Fridays presentations

Below is a 11 hour 18 minute video posted by the Mars Society on YouTube. I've gone through the video and have listed where (in hours/minutes) each presentation is located in the video. To watch a particular presentation, just scroll forward to the hours/minutes shown, it should take you to the start of the selected presentation. (Some of the presentations in this video were in a different order than what was on the schedule).

26th Annual International Mars Society Convention (Day 2 - Friday 10/6/2023)

0h 21m -
"Than" Putzig -
Exploring Mars with Ground Penetrating Radar

0h 53m -
Rick Tomlinson -
The New Space Revolution

1h 28m -
Mars Institute Panel

2h 2m -
FMARS Crew 15 Panel

2h 32m -
HS Engineering Competition Panel (Robert, Nicole, Trudi, students)

3h 1m -
David Poston -
Nuclear Power for Space

(Lunch)

4h 20m -
Trevino/Drayson -
FMARS-15 Quantitative Psychological Observations

4h 46m -
Wayne L. White -
The South Pole and Mars

5h 19m -
Katarina Mol -
Perchlorate Tolerant Microalgae

5h 46m -
Lennart Login -
Planetary 'Hash War' Protection

6h 19m -
Carl Greenbaum -
SAFE HOUSE: An Undersea Settlement Before Mars

7h 16m -
Kent Nebergall -
Agile Space Analogs as Progress Accelerators

7h 47m -
Carl Greenbaum -
Autonomous Aquaponics

8h 14m -
This is Mars as imaged from scientist, a wonderful planet
(Hard to hear. Background music stayed on the whole time)

8h 35m -
TBD Mars week Full Isolation at AATC Analogue Base (Virtual)

9h 35m -
L H Kuznetz -
Unveiling a Radically new EVA Spacesuit for Mars

Board footer