New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2023-08-30 18:43:56

RobertDyck
Website

2023 Mars Society Convention

I will attend the convention in person this year. The first since 2008. I intend to present about the Large Ship again. Should I present others? Should I do an update of Mars Direct using modern equipment including SpaceX Starship as a launch vehicle? That might be redundant, and perhaps Dr Zubrin would want to talk about Mars Direct. New Glenn could be used as the launch vehicle, if Blue Origin ever gets it to work. Should I present my chloroplast life support again? Or just do the Large Ship?

#2 2023-08-30 19:18:32

tahanson43206

Re: 2023 Mars Society Convention

For RobertDyck re new topic !!!

Thanks for telling us of your plans for this year's Mars Society Convention!

Best wishes for success with any and all presentations you decide to give!

For anyone who might not have been following developments closely:

About 45,000,000 results (0.48 seconds)
Students to Debate 'Mars or Bust?' at 2023 Mars Society ...
October 5-8, 2023
During the 26th Annual International Mars Society Convention, set for October 5-8, 2023 at Arizona State University (Tempe), the Mars Society and Debate to Educate will be convening the final round of a special debate held virtually on the issue of “Mars or Bust?” involving middle school and high school students from ...Aug 14, 2023

Students to Debate 'Mars or Bust?' at 2023 Mars Society ...
The Mars Society
https://www.marssociety.org › news › 2023/08/14 › stud...
About featured snippets

Feedback

For RobertDyck re presentations to offer .... I hope our members will respond with encouragement at a minimum, and perhaps suggestions as well.

(th)

#3 2023-08-31 11:53:34

RobertDyck
Website

Deadline for abstracts is today. Since no one other than Tom has responded, I just sent the one abstract: Large Ship. Convention ticket is purchased. Anyone else from here going this year?

#4 2023-09-07 13:24:21

RobertDyck
Website

Last night Dr Robert Zubrin gave a live talk on Red Planet Live. The video was streamed through the Mars Society main website, and the video is still available. In it he announced the Mars Technology Institute. He made a big deal of producing food on much less land, a couple orders of magnitude less. He believes biotechnology can do this. He also believes this technology can be used to produce food for poor countries. One idea is suggested is a chemical means of producing basic food, which might not be palatable to most people, but could be feed to livestock, tilapia, etc.

This touches on the life support that I included in the Large Ship. For the Large Ship, I suggested some basic technologies at first, but could be enhanced by more advanced technology later. Deadline for abstract submission has passed, but he link to submit abstracts is still active. I sent an email to James Burk asking if I could send an abstract now, even if it's past the deadline. I didn't get an answer, so submitted an abstract anyway. We'll see what he says. Splitting the life support off into a separate talk would more time to cover it more comprehensively, and this is exactly what Dr Zubrin talked about last night.

#5 2023-09-07 13:47:29

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #4

Thanks for this neat update on your planning and preparation for the Convention!

Thanks for the update on Dr. Zubrin's talk!  Best wishes for favorable review of your offer to give a talk on this subject.

Looking forward, please keep a watch for news of artificial food ... you indicated that such food might not be sought after by privileged humans who live in agreeable circumstances, but my understanding is there are millions of humans on Earth right now who would be grateful for nourishment even if the taste is less than ideal. 

The behavior of Russia during the current time illustrates why having a supply of nourishment available as a backup might be a good idea.

Finally, thanks for opening this topic.  It will provide an anchor for posts about the event itself, and about follow up links that may become available.

(th)

#6 2023-09-08 14:53:24

Steve Stewart
Website

Robert Dyck Post #3

Anyone else from here going this year?

Robert I think GW Johnson was planning on going. I least that's the impression I had from something he posted a while back. I know he gave 5 presentations last year. I was hoping to go, but I won't be making it. I ended up having surgery this year, which caused me to use up a lot of my vacation/sick time. I also switched jobs at work. Same company/building, just a different department. The new gig is keeping me busy. So I'm too busy and too short on vacation time to go this year. I would have liked to have met you and GW Johnson in person. Enjoy your trip and good luck on your presentation!

#7 2023-09-13 16:43:59

RobertDyck
Website

The person who responded to me about the convention schedule said that each person will only be allowed to make one presentation. So I will have to adjust my one presentation to emphasize the new stuff. Or emphasize different things than were emphasized the last time I gave the presentation, 2 years ago.

#8 2023-09-13 17:11:20

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #7

Thanks for the good news you got a response!

Is there any limit for Poster presentations?  If not, you can set up a poster that points to your full pdf via text URL or smart phone raster code.

You can save your full presentation(s) on Dropbox, where they will remain undisturbed for as long as NewMarsMember has an account.

(th)

#9 2023-09-15 01:04:32

Steve Stewart
Website

The Mars Society just posted the itinerary for the 2023 convention.
Here is the link:

2023 Convention Program Itinerary

#10 2023-09-15 14:11:02

RobertDyck
Website

Preliminary schedule shows I will present Thursday afternoon @ 5:00pm, open slot for half an hour after my presentation, then break for dinner. That was an issue. I booked an airline ticket for Thursday, hoping for the morning. Unfortunately the flight had me arrive at 8:10pm in Phoenix, then add delays at the airport and taxi ride to Tempe. That means I wouldn't be there for my presentation. I sent an email asking if I could reschedule. Haven't received an answer, but the airline was able to move my flight to a day early. And the hotel booked me for an additional night. So I'll be able to catch all day Thursday. I sent another email saying "never mind" about rescheduling my presentation. Hopefully everything will be Ok.

#11 2023-09-15 15:26:41

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #10

Thanks for the good news of a favorable outcome after that scare!

This is an important opportunity for the Mars Society, even if they don't know it yet.

Please consider preparing a flyer about your talk, and your project, to be distributed to the members.  If the cost is under $100, I'll be happy to contribute.  This is an opportunity to bring NewMars to the favorable attention of Mars Convention attendees.  Under the leadership of SpaceNut, the forum has ended the onslaught of spam, and has developed an efficient way of bringing new members into the group.  You have an opportunity to attract people of many disciplines and interests to help you.

(th)

#12 2023-10-02 22:42:04

RobertDyck
Website

Oh! They changed the conference schedule again. They did say it's subject to change. Now it shows 2 open slots after my talk. But it also shows my talk as virtual. (???)

#13 2023-10-03 06:04:58

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re #12

Best wishes in getting the schedule corrected quickly ... there is still plenty of time

Are you up for multiple opportunities to reach an audience?

While you are asking for correction back to real from virtual, you might be able to snag a second opportunity to present your talk.

If you feel up to it, try for one presentation each day.  It can't hurt to try, and you might luck out.

Update after looking at the revised schedule.

Please see if you can meet Doug Plata after he gives his birth-on-Mars talk, which is currently simultaneous with yours.  You can prepare for your meeting with Dr. Plata by listening to one or more of his recorded interviews on The Space Show with Dr. David Livingston.

Please give one of Dr. Johnson's course flyers to Bruce MacKenzie, who is holding a meeting about Mars University at the same time as your talk.

We have an online course about Basic Orbital Mechanics ready for students to use now, or for instructors to blend into their courses.

What we do NOT have are students taking the class, or instructors taking advantage of it.

(th)

#14 2023-10-03 13:14:26

RobertDyck
Website

Molly Gray is aware that I want two spots. She said one per person. I don't want to push it. I'll take a second spot if I get one. But schedule changed again already; a virtual presentation right after mine.

#15 2023-10-04 13:40:58

RobertDyck
Website

4 hour layover in Minneapolis airport. I forgot how big it is.

#16 2023-10-04 14:27:42

RobertDyck
Website

Cultural difference. The US is the only country where a restaurant server takes your card and charges it in the back. In Canada they bring a Wifi portable PInpad to your table. Server brought back my card with a paper and pen asking me to sign. It left tip blank. In Canada I normally don't tip. A tip is for unusual exceptional service, not just doing your job. But in the US they tip. I thought of 10% but decided to be generous and tip 15%. An American thing. But before anyone picked up the paper, I got a notification on my smartphone of a charge to my credit card. She gave herself 20%. That's why Canadians don't let the card out of our sight.

Expensive burger fries and beer, but all exceptional. This trip is going to hurt my finances.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2023-10-04 14:28:55)

#17 2023-10-04 19:08:51

tahanson43206

For RobertDyck re Convention reports ... Thanks for these reports as you are inspired to make them.

Hoping your trip to Colorado was smooth, and the hotel to your liking.

I'll be tuning in tomorrow evening, and trust the Zoom feeds will all be working.

For All ... RobertDyck is presenting tomorrow afternoon Colorado time ... call up the Convention schedule for exact time.

My recollection is the video is served by YouTube, so you can watch with your browser.  Be sure to check the time difference.

(th)

#18 2023-10-04 19:40:32

RobertDyck
Website

This year the convention is at Arizona State University, in Tempe AZ. Just outside Phoenix. Arizona uses Mountain Time, like Colorado.

::Edit:: Actually there's a 2 hour time difference from Central Daylight Time. As I type this it's 9:58pm local time, but 11:58pm in Winnipeg or Texas.

Last edited by RobertDyck (2023-10-04 22:59:03)

#19 2023-10-05 06:28:30

tahanson43206

Update at 9:50 local time .... I found out why there are no links to the live feed from the Convention ...

There won't BE a FREE live feed.  Apparently it is available to registrants...

The event will run daily through Sunday (Oct. 8) and registration information is available on this page, courtesy of the Mars Society. There will be no free, publicly available livestream of the event, but registrants can access events live.

As of this morning, RobertDyck's talk is advanced to 16:30 Colorado time.

Google found this handy converter:

TIMEBIE

Home»Local Time
4:30 PM Mountain Daylight Time to Local Time
Mountain Daylight Time:4:30 PM (16:30)
Eastern Daylight Time (Local):
6:30 PM (18:30)
GMT ( UTC ):
10:30 PM (22:30)

Here is a link to the schedule:
https://www.marssociety.org/wp-content/ … hedule.pdf

As of 9:45 AM local time, I have not found a live feed announcement for the Convention.

Last year the convention was offered via live streaming, and it was possible for listeners to catch the opening talks with headphones.

I expect the same service will be available this year, but I have not yet found a link.

Update at 10:36 local time ... I renewed my membership in Mars Society, but decided to pass on the opportunity to register for the convention.  Live streaming is (apparently) available for registrants. The entire conference is apparently available with streaming, if your budget will allow.

(th)

#20 2023-10-05 10:00:38

tahanson43206

The 2023 Mars Society Convention is underway.  There is still plenty of time for someone able to afford the registration fee to receive streaming coverage of the event.

Time now at Arizona State University is reported to be 10:59.  The opening speech was scheduled for 9 AM.

With any luck, the (one and only) NewMars representative will be present, and if we are even MORE lucky, we might receive a few words of commentary during the coming four days.

Update at 21:36 local time ... RobertDyck is finishing up his first full day at the Convention.  I'm hoping the presentation went well.  He was up against some stiff competition, but his topic ** should ** have drawn a share of the attendees.  I noticed that students from Arizona State University were admitted free!  With any luck at all, a few of them might have wanted to find out what a Large Ship might look like.  While details may differ it seems to me that the Laws of Physics require that the overall shape of Large Ship and the eventual Real Universe vessel will be similar.

(th)

#21 2023-10-06 06:19:00

tahanson43206

The second day of the 2023 Mars Convention is about to start.  According to Time/is, it is 7:13 at Arizona State University. Our NewMars member, RobertDyck is probably up and about, and preparing to attend the opening presentations.

Today's opening schedule is reported as:

(MST / PDT)
Day 2 - Friday October 6th
Morning Plenaries - Gammage Theater
9:00 AM Nathaniel "Than" Putzig- Exploring Mars with Ground Penetrating Radar
9:30 AM Rick Tumlinson- The New Space Revolution
10:00 AM Mars Technology Institute Panel
10:30 AM FMARS Crew 15 Panel
11:00 AM HS Engineering Competition Panel
11:30 AM David Poston - Nuclear power for space
12:00 PM

The time quoted earlier was (apparently) for a Mountain time zone in South America.

According to Google, Arizona State University is located in Phoenix (four campuses) and the time in Phoenix is 6:41.

A web site offered on the Tempe campus shows the Sun is ** just ** coming up. The tops of the brick buildings are illuminated, and a maintenance worker driving a golf cart sized utility wagon is visiting the ttrash cans.

Update at 7:04 AM ASU Tempe Campus time: The Sun is now illuminating the tops of the palm trees on campus. It ** just ** reached the bottom of the classroom building that is facing the camera on the West side of the square.

A couple of morning joggers passed through the scene.  A work crew is setting up to work on a section of pavement in the very wide walkway North of the campus square.  This is definitely a live view, but at this time in the morning, not much is going on.

There are three webcams on the Tempe Campus:
https://view.asu.edu/tempe/hayden

The other two are the Main Lawn which I've been viewing, and a recreation field with a large scale view of the campus.

There's a lot of red brick in all the scenes, as would seem natural for a desert landscape.

(th)

#22 2023-10-06 11:39:14

Steve Stewart
Website

Below is a link to a YouTube of the 2023 convention.
The video was recorded yesterday (Thursday 10/05/2023).
Here is the schedule for the first part of the video.

26th Annual International Mars Society Convention
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub-Tgb3FIUY

5FYl5rl.jpg

#23 2023-10-06 12:13:26

Steve Stewart
Website

Rob,
Hope your presentation went well. All of us are behind you 100%.

On the subject of restaurants (#16):
Most places I've been in recent years have tips of 15%. Some places will calculate 10%, 15%, and 20% for you, and print it on the receipt so you know how much to tip. (When I travel I usually tip 20%). Yes, they normally take your card and scan it at a single POS (Point Of Sale). I've seen some places in the Kansas City area (Applebee's, Chili's, Red Robin) that have a "device" on the table that allows you to use your card at the table. The "device" also allows you to pay ($1.99) to play a video game while waiting for your food (which I have never done!). To save money I usually look for a sandwich place (Subway, Blimpie, Mr Goodcents, Panera Bread, Jimmy John's). I can pay a little more and get a 12" sandwich instead of a 6", then take half the sandwich back to my room and eat it later. No tips required in those places. Good luck and enjoy the convention!

#24 2023-10-06 12:31:57

RobertDyck
Website

Actually, tried to rush through in 1/2 an hour. And got cut off when time expired. There was interest but I thought I did poorly. Oh well.

#25 2023-10-06 12:39:14

RobertDyck
Website

Steve,
if you're still interested, we could complete graphics for an online video. Perhaps a series of videos, each focussing on a different aspect. And I would like models for furniture to flesh-out an online game engine. So people could walk through the ship virtually, explore what they want at their own pace.

Board footer