New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2015-05-04 01:58:52

RobertDyck
Website

They're watching us

Another indication that powers that be are reading our forum. I posted technical details about space solar panels. I included details about photovoltaic panels manufactured by Spectrolab. Today the website for Spectrolab is blocked from IP addresses outside the US. It works for an IP address inside the US. And yes, I'm a computer nerd so I know how to check that.

#2 2015-05-04 04:47:31

Terraformer
Website

Re: They're watching us

Huh. That's odd.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#3 2015-05-04 08:04:22

GW Johnson
Website

Not so very odd.  Space technology is covered under the US ITAR restrictions just like weapons technology.  Advanced solar cells are space technology.  If hard performance data gets out there,  that triggers action.  I have to be very careful about some of the things I post myself. 

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#4 2015-05-04 17:42:34

SpaceNut
Administrator

Likewise GW due to current placment but that said I do not consider Canada a nation that we should restrict and the oweness of the technology falling into the wrong hands falls back to government regulators in keeping the companies that have the tech from having it openly available unless you need to know.
That said watch the price climb on any tech related to space as this is enforced more.....

#5 2015-05-05 04:23:57

Terraformer
Website

Ah, ITAR. The reason I would never do any research in the United States.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#6 2015-05-05 11:09:12

GW Johnson
Website

The other reason "they" are watching is that some of "them" are looking for ideas.  Not all of "them" are monolithic in outlook,  approach,  or mandate.  My own blog site has recently received enormous traffic from Russia and China,  and some others.  A lot of that traffic has to do with space travel technology.  I suspect there are even groups within NASA looking for ideas on these forums. 

As for the ITAR restrictions,  you have to understand the security-at-all-costs mindset and how it interacts with the I-need-rules-because-I-don't-want-to-think-for-myself personality type.  Put those two together,  and one of the idiotic things you get is ITAR.  Putting those two together is epidemic among people in government service,  elected or appointed. 

GW

Last edited by GW Johnson (2015-05-05 11:12:39)

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

"There is nothing as expensive as a dead crew,  especially one dead from a bad management decision"

#7 2015-05-05 17:08:58

SpaceNut
Administrator

Open source thinking does make for unique problem solving and we do have a Maven sciencetist onboard as a member.

We have seen first hand what can be done with items not even on the ITAR list so its about keep what is deemed as an item that can change the outcome of conflict causing moderate to huge damage..

update:
Just did a new member check to see how many have been registering to post on the forum and the totals for today so far is 100, with yesterday at 94 with what looks by the names to be mostly spammers but hopefully there will be some real members willing to contribute to man one day going to Mars.

#8 2015-05-08 05:17:23

RGClark
Website

RobertDyck wrote:

Another indication that powers that be are reading our forum. I posted technical details about space solar panels. I included details about photovoltaic panels manufactured by Spectrolab. Today the website for Spectrolab is blocked from IP addresses outside the US. It works for an IP address inside the US. And yes, I'm a computer nerd so I know how to check that.

Thanks for that info, though I don't see why 29% compared to, say, 25% efficiency would provide that much of an advantage for say military satellites.

Bob Clark

Old Space rule of acquisition (with a nod to Star Trek - the Next Generation):

“Anything worth doing is worth doing for a billion dollars.”

#9 2015-05-08 08:45:29

Terraformer
Website

Also why it would be much of a problem for their guys in the US to go on the website...

I get the feeling they use knee high fences around their gardens and put in a full size gate for security.

#10 2015-05-08 16:18:36

SpaceNut
Administrator

Ya its about the same as using a Russian built rocket engine....

#11 2015-05-11 13:50:24

GW Johnson
Website

Terraformer said,  just above:  "I get the feeling they use knee high fences around their gardens and put in a full size gate for security."

I used to work in that environment.  On the most egregious examples,  it was closer to a paint stripe for a fence,  with a castle drawbridge as a gate.  Read on ...

For a time on a particular project,  I and my colleagues were forbidden from eating Doritos in a public place,  for fear it would give away the shape of an item we were working on.  We worked in a locked vault.  If you took a pencil in there,  it never came out.  Etc.

Actually,  very little of significance ever came from that program.  Which should not be surprising.  Over-compartmentalization is completely-crippling. 

I swear this is a true tale.  And it is not unique.

GW

GW Johnson
McGregor,  Texas

#12 2015-06-23 20:30:34

RobertDyck
Website

I think NASA is still reading this forum. Years ago I was notified by an employee about things I posted here, so I know they read it. But something happened today. Am I just paranoid?

Yesterday I posted this in Yet another Mars architecture

NASA has sufficient funding right now. ... Doing that with current funding means give up on the Moon or asteroids, focus on Mars.

Today I received a notice through the contractor email list. Sent generally, not to just me, but says...

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) intends to release a letter of invitation for membership on the Formulation Assessment and Support Team (FAST) for the Asteroid Redirect Mission (ARM). ARM is part of NASA’s plan to advance the new technologies and spaceflight capabilities needed for a human mission to the Martian system in the 2030s, as well as other future human and robotic missions.  ARM includes the Asteroid Redirect Robotic Mission (ARRM) and the Asteroid Redirect Crewed Mission (ARCM), along with leveraging the global asteroid-observation community’s efforts to detect, track and characterize candidate asteroids.  For additional information on how to apply for FAST membership, go to the NASA NSPIRES website at ...

Um... Are they trying to disarm criticism? Or trying to push back? Or am I just paranoid?

#13 2015-06-23 21:46:41

SpaceNut
Administrator

The watcher should have been reading SLS and what asteriod will we go to as its on the topic of ARM but even if they had seen the SEP is about all that we would get from ARM which does nothing for a lunar mission.

Orion is just a human rated bench mark for all others to surpass....

I would say sign up and rattle there cages....

#14 2015-10-20 10:42:57

martienne

RobertDyck wrote:

And yes, I'm a computer nerd so I know how to check that.

Then you also know that there are 101 ways to circumvent a geoblock.
If anyone was really concerned, they should take the information down completely.

That said, the NSA has a special program which trawls the internet and targets forums, picks up email addresses, logins, passwords and IP addresses - looking for suspicious keywords and sentence structures. It works on most standard forum software packages, definitely including the one used here. (info courtesy of Snowden).

Last edited by martienne (2015-10-20 10:44:16)

#15 2015-10-21 10:01:19

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

RobertDyck wrote:

I think NASA is still reading this forum. Years ago I was notified by an employee about things I posted here, so I know they read it. But something happened today. Am I just paranoid?

Yesterday I posted this in Yet another Mars architecture

NASA has sufficient funding right now. ... Doing that with current funding means give up on the Moon or asteroids, focus on Mars.

Today I received a notice through the contractor email list. Sent generally, not to just me, but says...

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) intends to release a letter of invitation for membership on the Formulation Assessment and Support Team (FAST) for the Asteroid Redirect Mission (ARM). ARM is part of NASA’s plan to advance the new technologies and spaceflight capabilities needed for a human mission to the Martian system in the 2030s, as well as other future human and robotic missions.  ARM includes the Asteroid Redirect Robotic Mission (ARRM) and the Asteroid Redirect Crewed Mission (ARCM), along with leveraging the global asteroid-observation community’s efforts to detect, track and characterize candidate asteroids.  For additional information on how to apply for FAST membership, go to the NASA NSPIRES website at ...

Um... Are they trying to disarm criticism? Or trying to push back? Or am I just paranoid?

So the technology to explore Mars is utterly useless for exploring the Moon and asteroids! Translated, they want to use throwaway spaceships!

Board footer