New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2013-07-12 20:00:30

Terraformer
Website

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

Just curious to see what people get on it - test here.

I'm INTx - that is to say, last time I took it I got INTJ being weakly J, and the previous time I got INTP with I think being weakly P, but strong on the others.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#2 2013-07-12 22:57:27

Midoshi

Re: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

I test pretty oddly on these. I am solidly Introverted, but everything else is on the fence. The tests that break down your S vs N, T vs F, and J vs P scores always have me almost perfectly balanced. That said, my tendencies tip me toward INTP.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

#3 2013-07-13 07:15:41

Terraformer
Website

So, Ixxx?

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#4 2013-07-13 11:20:08

Midoshi

Terraformer wrote:

So, Ixxx?

Haha, yes, I suppose so.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Albert Einstein

#5 2013-07-13 16:48:15

JoshNH4H
Website

I'm INTJ-- Moderately I and N, strongly T, and mildly J.  Reading the description, it seems to be a fairly accurate way to describe me.  I would expect that on Newmars, this would be the general tendency of peoples' personality types, although I'm not really sure what J/P actually means...

-Josh

#6 2014-05-19 15:39:02

martienne

I also came out as INTJ when I did this for work and answer truthfully. After reading the profile I have no doubt it's correct, but it's actually a rubbish personality for a girl. It's hard enough for a guy. But what can you do...?
At least if I follow the profile advise, life is easier.

If it's a job interview, I fake it so I becomes borderline E though. They get suspicious at I....   ENTJ is perfect for IT management however.

#7 2014-05-19 17:31:46

clark

ENTJ.

Interesting research on this type of stuff; the descriptors are vague enough that most people can self identify with all traits if presentation is modified. People also vary on the continuum over the course of their life (there is statistical validity).

All that said, this type of stuff is only useful in helping you self evaluate your own natural responses and to approach modification of your default behavior. Beware putting yourself in a self-imposed box. Which is ironic, given the subject matter on this board.

#8 2014-05-19 17:38:49

martienne

Only 1 percent of the US population are INTJ according to the book they gave me at work. However, here at this board, it's like 80%.

#9 2014-05-19 17:43:08

clark

It's a "leadership" personality identifier, so it is always going to be a smaller subset.

It is not 80% on this board. It may seem like it since the traits that would indicate leadership are also the same ones causing people to interact, or push for discussions. If it were 80%, we would see a much larger impact in society since there would be more vocal people pushing the Mars/Space agenda.

Last edited by clark (2014-05-19 17:48:06)

#10 2014-05-19 20:04:02

JoshNH4H
Website

I typically don't put very much stock in the results of these tests; Really, they're a measure of what you think of yourself, which is largely affected by what other people have told you. 

There's certainly an argument to be made that this is a significant part of who you are as a person (self image) but I don't think that this is what the test tries to capture

-Josh

#11 2014-05-19 21:15:10

clark

There is a discrepancy between what people have told you and how you perceive yourself.

I may see myself as being honest, outside observers might characterize me as obnoxious. Where does truth lie?

A shut-in, barricaded in a basement, unable to make meaningful human contact in the physical world lights the twitter and blog-o-sphere afire. Extrovert or introvert? Society with only a slice of meaningful data might proclaim extrovert while the sad lonely person may feel otherwise.

You are partially right Josh. The tests are designed to measure how you perceive yourself, and then it tries to interpret that perception using voodoo statistics and baseline norms. To be fair, it barely classifies as science.

The real interesting trick is trying to get a meaningful read from one of these tests because as our friend martienne mentions, the results are subject to change based on how we want the results to be interpreted.

#12 2014-05-19 22:08:29

JoshNH4H
Website

I don't doubt that there is a disparity, but at the same time there is also a correlation. 

I have a friend who describes the Meyers-Briggs test as astrology for the scientifically minded.  I'm inclined to agree with him.

-Josh

#13 2014-05-20 03:48:28

Glandu

INTP

They say I could be natural engineer, computer scientist, or librairian. I am computer developper and tester. Bang!

[i]"I promise not to exclude from consideration any idea based on its source, but to consider ideas across schools and heritages in order to find the ones that best suit the current situation."[/i] (Alistair Cockburn, Oath of Non-Allegiance)

#14 2014-07-04 14:23:06

martienne

I don't know why you think this is "like horoscopes", or that one type would fit all.
That may be true for horoscopes, but for Myers-Briggs  - that's too specific.

The full test is expensive and takes over an hour, plus hours of follow-up seminars. Most people do that through work. But you could take a free, quick test and it will almost certainly produce the same result as the original. It did for me.

Do this one http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test and then a second one to confirm the accuracy. http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Anyone who is still at school/uni - bear this in mind. If you have a strongly introverted personality you may not love it in a very people oriented job, or in the middle of a management hierarchy with people at your back from below, above and the sides. (I should know). But you might be 10x better at certain other tasks than a person who constantly craves buzz and human interaction.
There are many more similar tips.

#15 2014-07-14 13:45:22

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

martienne wrote:

I don't know why you think this is "like horoscopes", or that one type would fit all.
That may be true for horoscopes, but for Myers-Briggs  - that's too specific.

The full test is expensive and takes over an hour, plus hours of follow-up seminars. Most people do that through work. But you could take a free, quick test and it will almost certainly produce the same result as the original. It did for me.

Do this one http://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test and then a second one to confirm the accuracy. http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Anyone who is still at school/uni - bear this in mind. If you have a strongly introverted personality you may not love it in a very people oriented job, or in the middle of a management hierarchy with people at your back from below, above and the sides. (I should know). But you might be 10x better at certain other tasks than a person who constantly craves buzz and human interaction.
There are many more similar tips.

I don't much care about Astrology, planets and their positions in the Solar System don't affect me unless I live on them.

#16 2014-07-20 21:56:35

idiom

INTJ here. smile

Come on to the Future

Board footer