New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: This forum is accepting new registrations by emailing newmarsmember * gmail.com become a registered member. Read the Recruiting expertise for NewMars Forum topic in Meta New Mars for other information for this process.

#226 2005-08-26 06:24:40

Cobra Commander

Re: I'll take malaprops for *5* Bob - Apropos of Nothing continues. . .

Dude, did you go to Catholic school? Where did the Latin come from?

No Catholic school. My Latin is actually rather poor, translating rather than "natively" speaking/writing and with limited vocabulary. I usually have to correct mistakes.

The Caesars would be appalled.   tongue

How fortunate that there's a wealth of stuff already out there that can be used with minimal effort. 

And there's no such thing as a plan that can't be changed, particularly when an enemy is involved.  wink

I know current/world events are getting to me when I dream (last night) the Gov't is genetically engineering fire-breathing attack iguanas.

Fire-breathing iguanas you say. . . Were they big or just iguana-size?

My sister used to have an iguana. Strange creature. I took care of it for awhile, feeding it a plate of whatever specific lettuce it was supposed to eat and little bits of pepper. It would flick its tounge out and eat all the peppers on that side of the plate, look at it for a moment, then reach out with one claw, rotate the plate about a quarter turn and resume eating the now-visible peppers.

It didn't like me though, refused to defecate while I was taking care of it. He let go as soon as his usual caretaker returned. Welcome home.  :?

He's dead now. No connection.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#227 2005-08-26 06:39:08

clark

Defecation as a sign of affection? I weep for your wife.

#228 2005-08-26 06:44:51

Palomar

I know current/world events are getting to me when I dream (last night) the Gov't is genetically engineering fire-breathing attack iguanas.

Fire-breathing iguanas you say. . . Were they big or just iguana-size?

*Perhaps twice as large as in real life.  It was startling, looking at these seemingly docile iguanas and suddenly flames are shooting out of their nostrils ala dragons.  The flames were multicolored too:  Yellow nearest the nostrils, orange (longest portion), then bluish at the ends.  roll

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

--John Sladek (The New Apocrypha)

#229 2005-08-26 06:52:23

Cobra Commander

*Perhaps twice as large as in real life. It was startling, looking at these seemingly docile iguanas and suddenly flames are shooting out of their nostrils ala dragons. The flames were multicolored too: Yellow nearest the nostrils, orange (longest portion), then bluish at the ends.

I don't know about docile, I've seen an iguana when it's PO'd. Fast little buggers too, when they choose to be.

Which reminds me, the owner of that now-deceased iguana recently told me (half joking) she wants to get a monkey. When I enquired as to why she replied "because they throw shit at people."

Which brings us to this, just for clark:

Monkey poo.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

#230 2005-08-26 07:01:28

clark

I like you too CC.

#231 2005-08-26 07:07:16

Palomar

*Perhaps twice as large as in real life. It was startling, looking at these seemingly docile iguanas and suddenly flames are shooting out of their nostrils ala dragons. The flames were multicolored too: Yellow nearest the nostrils, orange (longest portion), then bluish at the ends.

I don't know about docile, I've seen an iguana when it's PO'd. Fast little buggers too, when they choose to be.

*Oh...that was just the dream image (docile).  I've only seen iguanas for sale in pet shops; have never owned one myself nor known anyone else who did.  I don't know anything about their behaviors, habits, etc. 

Turtles can be surprisingly fast.  A tiny nearby town holds turtle races every Feast of Guadalupe.  It's hosted at the Church of Guadalupe; they have homemade Mexican food, dances, turtle races, etc.  They put the competing turtles into side-by-side makeshift "alleys" and off they go, LOL. 

--Cindy

We all know [i]those[/i] Venusians: Doing their hair in shock waves, smoking electrical coronas, wearing Van Allen belts and resting their tiny elbows on a Geiger counter...

#232 2005-08-26 07:59:13

BWhite

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#233 2005-08-26 08:06:24

clark

Cave ne ante ullas catapultas ambules

#234 2005-08-26 08:10:15

BWhite

SI HOC SIGNUM LEGERE POTES,
OPERIS BONI IN REBUS LATINIS ALACRIBUS
ET FRUCTUOSIS POTIRI POTES!

Give someone a sufficient [b][i]why[/i][/b] and they can endure just about any [b][i]how[/i][/b]

#235 2005-08-26 08:17:55

clark

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.

#236 2005-08-26 08:44:34

Cobra Commander

Hora defungis coitus circum.  big_smile

My apologies for the screwy conjugation.

#237 2005-08-26 08:57:09

clark

Never!

#238 2005-08-28 19:29:19

Palomar

*We just got back from dinner at Red Lobster with in-laws.  My husband has a half-sister whose mother is Filippino; was born and raised in the Philippines -- my father-in-law's first wife was her mother of course.  Helen is so cool; her daughter and son-in-law (also Filippino) accompanied her.  They've been staying at my sister-in-law's home in El Paso.  It's interesting to have both Latino and Filippino in-laws.  A very nice family time.  My best lifelong friend is Asian, and as with her when there's warmth and love the "differences" just aren't noticeable anymore. 

--Cindy

#239 2005-08-29 15:48:51

BWhite

Speaking of bad words,  Fox News gets nailed on live television.

#240 2005-08-29 20:08:13

Josh Cryer

Oh my God that was freaking classic.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#241 2005-08-29 20:14:16

clark

Speaking of bad words and European culture:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a … ge_id=1770

You can use the f-word in class (but only five times)

#242 2005-08-30 03:54:41

Josh Cryer

In other news, NewMars has a five curse word per day rule, anyone breaking this rule will be banned for one week. Thank you, have a nice day.

Some useful links while MER are active. [url=http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html]Offical site[/url] [url=http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/MM_NTV_Web.html]NASA TV[/url] [url=http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/mer2004/]JPL MER2004[/url] [url=http://www.spaceflightnow.com/mars/mera/statustextonly.html]Text feed[/url]
--------
The amount of solar radiation reaching the surface of the earth totals some 3.9 million exajoules a year.

#243 2005-09-03 20:34:12

BWhite

Funny

Naughty and in some sense explicit, but funny.

It's an ad!

#244 2005-09-04 17:53:18

Yang Liwei Rocket

guys you should see this

a very sad tale

Jefferson Parish Aaron Broussard, says he still doesn't have the resources needed to save the lives
http://www.ameratsu.com/media/vid/nbc/n … 50904a.wmv
Broussard tells a heart wrenching story

'first steps are not for cheap, think about it...
did China build a great Wall in a day ?' ( Y L R newmars forum member )

#245 2005-09-04 18:48:31

Robert M. Blevins
Banned
Website

For those of you who don't know Gayla J. Prociv and I, we are science-fiction authors. We live in the Seattle area.

After the hurricane, we sent a little money to the Red Cross, but couldn't think of anything else to do.

Finally, we went into the financial information at our Cafe Press Gift Shop and changed the payee to the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund. From now until the day after Christmas, all funds from sales at www.cafepress.com/abonlinestore (Adventure Books Gift Shop) go directly to the Red Cross.

I am required to say this: You can verify this information by inquiring at www.cafepress.com and asking about the store listed above.

We took down the Mars Poster we had for sale there and replaced it with a special Katrina Commemorative poster. It contains over 40 high-resolution images of the tragedy and its aftermath, with some added text. We believe it is our best work. You can also see a very good preview and more verification details at www.freewebs.com/adventurebooks

Thanks to those who have already helped.

Robert M. Blevins
Gayla J. Prociv

Don't give up reaching for the stars...
just build yourself a bigger ladder.

#246 2005-09-06 08:30:52

Grypd

It is Sunny

I Have Charcoal, cold beer and a feeling of pyromania

I have lots of protein poked with sticks, squashed into burgers and a table assaulted with bowls of things green and covered in sauces

Yes its Barbeque time

The only time in modern mans life he actually feels like the great hunter he tells himself he was in the stone age. for once Women are barred from this most holiest rite, that of cooking.

It is now time for me to go and make a complete hash of it just like about every Man has. Of course the blackened and burnt offerings are eaten readily as its not really the food we have come to consume.

Wish me luck.

Chan eil mi aig a bheil ùidh ann an gleidheadh an status quo; Tha mi airson cur às e.

#247 2005-09-06 14:20:44

Palomar

It is Sunny

I Have Charcoal, cold beer and a feeling of pyromania.

*Lol!  smile

Yes its Barbeque time

The only time in modern mans life he actually feels like the great hunter he tells himself he was in the stone age. for once Women are barred from this most holiest rite, that of cooking.

No problem...we'll leave it to the guys to continue attending the 2nd most holiest rite:  Doing dishes.  big_smile 

Wish me luck.

I suppose the b-b-que is over by the time I'm typing this, but good luck.  I do enjoy charcoal-grilled meats ... the taste of it, anyway (vicious heartburn later).

On a different note:  I love it when doctors say stuff like "He is a 53-year-old female who comes in for..." and the patient has an unusual or foreign name, you are unsure of the gender, go in and check patient data...sure enough is a male patient.  roll  This happens more often than you'd think (and vice versa, saying it's a male patient when in fact it's a "she").  Geez, do they need basics in anatomy again?

--Cindy

#248 2005-09-07 09:06:29

Cobra Commander

Yes its Barbeque time

<grunts>

Saturday we had a mass-barbecue, a dozen people, bonfire, sorrounded by forest with no sign of civilization, big dogs running around, cooking over an open flame and just "being" much as our distant ancestors once did. Nothing planned, just worked out that way.

Some of the couples sneaking off into the woods as well, much as our distant ancestors.  wink

No problem...we'll leave it to the guys to continue attending the 2nd most holiest rite: Doing dishes.

If there are dishes to clean you haven't barbecued right.  big_smile

#249 2005-09-08 04:58:18

Palomar

No problem...we'll leave it to the guys to continue attending the 2nd most holiest rite: Doing dishes.

If there are dishes to clean you haven't barbecued right.  big_smile

*There are if you have side dishes in storage bowls and use cutlery.  wink 

My alarm clock didn't go off this morning!  And it was set, too.  Thank goodness I only overslept by half an hour.  neutral  Usually I start my routine at 4:30 a.m. anyway, so no productivity time was lost.

Thankfully I looked at the alarm clock upon awakening (which I don't always do)...what?  4:25??  roll  Time to get a new clock, apparently.

--Cindy

#250 2005-09-08 05:45:45

Cobra Commander

*There are if you have side dishes in storage bowls and use cutlery.

Side dishes?! Storage bowls?!  Blasphemy.   lol

I never really thought of big knives as dishes. Seriously, that's all we use at barbecues. A butcher knife (doubles as a spatula) and other edged implements as needed.

Rapidly slicing up a watermelon with a katana is always a favorite.  wink

Remember when watermelons had those big black seeds, before they engineered them out? Better the old way.

Thankfully I looked at the alarm clock upon awakening (which I don't always do)...what? 4:25??  Time to get a new clock, apparently.

I usually wake up a minute or two before the alarm goes off. Not one of those annoying buzzers (I tend to break those) this one plays CDs. My wife has a disc of Celtic music in there now, but I'm thinking the Imperial March might put me in a better mood at 05:30.

If that alarm fails I have a very reliable double-redundant backup. Phobos and Deimos are used to the routine and expect to be fed.

Board footer