New Mars Forums

Official discussion forum of The Mars Society and MarsNews.com

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Announcement: As a reader of NewMars forum, we have opportunities for you to assist with technical discussions in several initiatives underway. NewMars needs volunteers with appropriate education, skills, talent, motivation and generosity of spirit as a highly valued member. Write to newmarsmember * gmail.com to tell us about your ability's to help contribute to NewMars and become a registered member.

#1 2007-11-13 20:43:45

bstvns139

Re: New ideas for terraforming mars

I just thought of this idea, that since the electromagnetic field of a planet is controlled by the revolutions of the core of the planet, then what if you made some sort of machine that ringed around the whole planet at the edges of its atmosphere to counter the revolutions of the core of the planet ultimately changing the electromagnetic fields and the weather patterns on mars. This would make an impact on the atmosphere possibly for more possibilities of Terraformation. Any thoughts?

-"you watch the sunset, and I watch the night rise"

#2 2007-11-14 08:28:39

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Its surprising that Mars has no magnetic field, because it does have the rotation to qualify for one. Venus has the excuse that its not spinning fast enough.

#3 2007-11-14 09:00:02

maxie
Banned

Look for Dynamo theory, for an explanation of how Earth generates its magnetic field. Unfortunately just making a machine like that doesn't mean you'll get a magnetic field at all. If you stir the tea in a cup with a teaspoon, you won't get any magnetic field.

Earth has a solid iron core (called the Inner Core), engulfed in a sea of melted iron (called the Outer Core). Above that are the mantle and the crust.

Our magnetic field is produced by the currents in the ocean of iron from the Outer Core, because iron conducts electricity and is ferromagnetic. Some of these currents are generated by the rotation of Earth (actually by the difference in Earth's rotation and Core rotation), some by heat from the Inner Core.

But Mars' core is less dense, cooler, and appears to be (almost) entirely solid at this point. Also, it doesn't appear as made entirely from iron, but a mix of sulphates and iron.
So this is the reason Mars doesn't have a magnetic field, and is hard to change that. The first step would be to heat it's core, which is impossible for the next... 1000 years? After that, maybe Mars will get it's own magnetic field without the aid of any machine in orbit.

@Tom: it's not the rotational speed that matters, but the difference in speeds of the core and mantle, their chemical composition and how hot and liquid they are.

#4 2007-11-14 09:38:32

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

Venus certainly is hot enough, and I don't think those volcanoes on Venus are nearly as ancient as the ones on Mars.

#5 2007-11-14 13:55:29

maxie
Banned

@Tom: http://www-ssc.igpp.ucla.edu/personnel/ … venus_mag/

One of these models has led to the hypothesis that the core of Venus may be completely solid or 'frozen' today, while others propose that core solidification has not yet commenced or has stopped at some time in the past (e.g. Stevenson, Spohn and Schubert, 1983). In all cases, evidence cited in support of these hypotheses always includes the known weakness of the intrinsic magnetic field.

http://www.astronomynotes.com/solarsys/s7.htm

The reasons why Venus does not have a global magnetic field are that it spins very s-l-o-w-l-y (about once every 243 Earth days!) and the absence of convection in the liquid core (probably because of the lack of plate tectonics for the past half billion years).

And this:
http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Earth-- … ntcfld.pdf

#6 2007-11-15 15:41:15

naitsabes
Banned

A planet needs a magnetic field around it just like Earth to sustain its atmosphere and protect the planet from gamma rays ect... Mars doesn't have one. So how is that made if its even possible.

I might be wrong about all this, its just how I'v understood it.

#7 2007-11-16 01:33:22

RickSmith
Banned

Hi naitsabes, everyone.
  Cosmic rays are not stopped by our magnetic field.  Some of them are stopped by the Earth's atmosphere.

If we give Mars a 1 Bar atmosphere it will be better at stopping cosmic rays than Earth's is because it has a greater scale height (so there will be more matter there for a given pressure). 

Our magnetic field does redirect the solar wind to the poles but Eskimos are not dying of radiation poisoning despite the Aurora Borealis .  Mars atmosphere is enough now to protect us from solar particles except during the biggest solar flares.  During those astronauts can go into their storm cellar.  Once we thicken Mars' atmosphere, this won't be a problem.

As for sustaining the atmosphere, the solar wind causes 'sputtering' on Mars which strips away light particles faster than if it did have a magnetic field.  However this happens very slowly: a one km diameter comet would last tens of millions of years.  If we thicken the atmosphere with volcanic eruptions or dropping comets to a Bar pressure, it will last for billions of years.

Warm regards, Rick

#8 2007-11-16 03:43:04

naitsabes
Banned

Thanks for the replay and clearing things up for me.

#9 2008-03-08 14:48:31

JoshNH4H
Website

To generate a magnetic field on mars, I would do this:

1. Place a self replicating machine with a small electromagnet at the core
2. Press go
3. Wait until it replicates enough, then you will have a large magnetic field, and a machine-core

-Josh

#10 2008-03-14 20:34:45

Gregori

The Earth's magnetic field isn't amazingly strong, so I've heard, only couple of microtelsas.

I'm sure in the future there will be a technolgical solution. Perhaps their will an electromagnetic grid built across the planet's surface powered by solar power or nuclear fusion reactors.

I've got a small hunch that Earth's having plate tectonics and a global magnetic field have something to do with having such a huge moon. I'm no expert about this, but Venus and Mars don't have either of these for some reason.

#11 2008-03-15 09:29:40

Tom Kalbfus
Banned

It appears that Mercury also has plate technonics, at least judging from the latest Messenger pictures.

#12 2008-03-18 09:22:30

Gregori

It appears that Mercury also has plate technonics, at least judging from the latest Messenger pictures.

Really?

#13 2008-03-20 15:24:37

Terraformer
Website

And a magnetic field.

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#14 2008-03-21 04:01:33

zhar2

I've got a small hunch that Earth's having plate tectonics and a global magnetic field have something to do with having such a huge moon. I'm no expert about this, but Venus and Mars don't have either of these for some reason.

Thats true, a moon build into a stable mars orbit would create tidal stresses, and those interactions should help melt the martian core, maybe by moving material from the asteroid belt (although if i reecal correctly theres only about an 8th of the moons mass there, so we would need material from somewhere else), this might be easier and quicker that trying to mess with the core directly (but again i remember watching a program on quark gluon plasma wich could be produced and pumped via a borehole towards the core although im not sure)

#15 2008-03-21 06:40:47

Terraformer
Website

KBOs?

"I'm gonna die surrounded by the biggest idiots in the galaxy." - If this forum was a Mars Colony

#16 2008-03-21 10:10:05

JoshNH4H
Website

If you're going to try to move a KBO, you might as well move mars itself.

-Josh

#17 2008-03-21 10:21:30

Terraformer
Website

We could move little ones then collide them at Mars.

But by the time we are starting to terraform Mars we won't be using chemical rockets, that's for sure.

#18 2008-03-26 18:47:37

dryson

The first part to terraform Mars would be to pick a location near one of the polar caps. The second would be to completely encase a hundred yard by hundred yard section of martian soil that measures 19 feet deep
This soil would be encased in an airtight stainless steel tray with a glass dome over it. Polar ice would then be pumped to a station where it would be melted down into water and also turned into a gaseous state. The water would then be used to irrigate the soil. The gases would then be mixed with an oxygen rich, nitrogen and hygrogen mix and pumped into the dome.

The other half of the dome would be used to see if there are any seeds of life hidden within the soil by partioning one side. This side would be planted with corn, and other easily grown foods. The polar ice would then be irrigated via the method above into the dome along with the gases stated above.

This will prove that the seeds of life exist in the soil or the soil has the potential to be seeded with life.

#19 2008-03-27 18:11:22

louis

I'd start from this premise:

We don't need an atmosphere fifty miles high.  About fifty feet would be fine thanks.

So are there any ways of producing a thick layer of gas at a  height of fifty feet which is coherent and wouldn't fly off beneath which we could have a breathable atmosphere.

Even if not suitable for the whole planet, could it be achieved within large craters perhaps?

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#20 2008-03-28 03:41:10

zhar2

Yes, its called a world house.

#21 2008-03-28 10:23:27

louis

Zhar -

Has anyone explained how you retain a 50 foot high atmosphere?

Let's Go to Mars...Google on: Fast Track to Mars blogspot.com

#22 2008-03-28 11:16:48

zhar2

http://www.orionsarm.com/civ/Worldhouses.html

It may be difficult with current tech.

the above link is the best reference i could find.

#23 2008-03-28 11:54:46

bstvns139

Is it possible to change the orbit of a planet by creating a anti revolution within its atmosphere or orbit?

#24 2008-03-28 12:46:18

noosfractal
Website

Is it possible to change the orbit of a planet by creating a anti revolution within its atmosphere or orbit?

Could you explain what you mean by an anti-revolution?

Fan of [url=http://www.red-oasis.com/]Red Oasis[/url]

#25 2008-03-28 14:13:28

bstvns139

Like a counter revolution or a something moving the opposite way of earths orbit

Board footer